Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Almost free PH testers
    #3431620 - 12/01/04 07:38 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

I ran accross this some time ago, and since the site it was taken from is not up I figured I would pass it on before I forget.

Natural pH-Indicators
by Rhodium

Now and then you need to measure the pH of a solution, and this can be done by either using a digital pH-meter, or you can use pH papers (blotter paper soaked in an indicator solution, such as litmus or BTB). Now, both those methods are more or less expensive, the cheapest pH-meter will cost $50 and most will go for over $100. pH paper is cheaper, but many people have trouble finding them.

You really don't have to use either of them, as nature provides us with pH indicators in the form of plant pigments known as antocyanines, which change color over different pH ranges, depending on source. Red cabbage juice will function over a wide pH range, from as low as pH 1 up to pH 12.

The indicator solutions are prepared by chopping up the red cabbage into small pieces, preferably by running them through a blender. Then the juice is strained off from the resulting mush, and the mush can also be extracted with water to yield even more of the pigment. The solutions are filtered to remove any remaining plant matter, and can then be used as is, or diluted if the color is too intense. I have no idea for how long such solutions will keep, but stored in a refrigerator they should last for at least several weeks. If your solutions are too dilute, you may be able to concentrate them with gentle heating, I don't know at what temp the pigments will be destroyed, so be careful.

I made solutions of NaOH or HCl in water, to yield solutions with pH's of 0 through 12, and tested the juices, and the results can be viewed below. Outside the shown ranges, the indicators won't change color anymore.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Almost free PH testers [Re: MadHatR]
    #3431625 - 12/01/04 07:41 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Nice I've always considered making my own litmus paper maybe I should try something like this.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Almost free PH testers [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3431629 - 12/01/04 07:46 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

I used to use them all the time back in my more chemistry based days, it works like a charm. Just used it to test a casing and it works as well as my test stripts that I am almost out of.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Almost free PH testers [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3431630 - 12/01/04 07:46 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

that's cool but i have a hard time telling the difference from 6-8 range which is the most important for my studies. The cabbage juice that you make is just an indicator and then you may drop pieces of your soil into it and the solution will change just like litmus?

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Almost free PH testers [Re: derx]
    #3434891 - 12/01/04 10:52 PM (13 years, 19 days ago)

You sure do, and the ones in the picture are diluted. I have gotten stronger colors out of it straight. While it is not as good as a expensive meter, it is just as good if not better than the sticks

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation