Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChapter24
Stranger

Pic-o-the month winner question
    #3430882 - 12/01/04 02:33 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Wassup everyone,
I have a question about the pic-o-the month winner on Oct 10, 2004 (you can see it on the front page of The Shroomery). I have been hunting mushrooms in Hawaii and found a cow pasture with what I thought was Anellaria sepulcharis (or Panaeolus antillarum). They look just like the picture on Mushroom John's site (http://www.mushroomjohn.com/hawaii1.htm scroll down till you see it). Now I saw the pic-o-the month winner and those mushrooms also look very similar to the ones that I found in the cow pasture. The article on the picture says that it is Copelandia cyanescens.
Now look at the two pictures and tell me that they don't look alike. To me they look exactly like the ones that I found in the pasture. The ones that I found in the pasture did not bruse blue, so I thought that it wasn't Copelandia cyanescens, but after looking at the pic-o-the month, I was sure that thats what they were.

Any help with clearing up my confusion would be greatly appreciated.

Peace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblenewusername222
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Pic-o-the month winner question [Re: Chapter24]
    #3430897 - 12/01/04 02:37 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

the bluing is really the key to distinguishing the two mushrooms. If yours did not blue, they weren't copes.

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Pic-o-the month winner question [Re: newusername222]
    #3431585 - 12/01/04 06:52 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Chapter 24,
You seem to be very bright. I've ignored the fact that you have only 11 posts. Your grammar is very good. I'm sure you know that there are a lot of mushrooms that look very, very similar. Even mushrooms of different genus can have many common characteristics. There are a few low-potency, active rooms, which do not bruise blue, or have very little bruising. Copelandia Cyanescens, from what I've gathered, is not one of those non-bruising mushrooms. Cop. Cy.'s are fairly potent.

OfflineChapter24
Stranger

Re: Pic-o-the month winner question [Re: psiclops]
    #3435435 - 12/02/04 01:07 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Thanks for the help.  I do know that their are lts of look alikes out there.  I am just so possitive that the mushrooms that I found in the pasture are the ones in the pic-o-the month picture.The two mushrooms on the right side of the picture have the exact same stem grain and texture, the caps were folding over exactly the same and their texture/color are exactly the same as the mushrooms that I found in the pasture.  I guees my question now is, were the mushrooms in the pasture Copelandia cyanescens, or are the ones in the picture Panaeolus antillarum.  As I said before the ones that I found did not bruse blue.  Is the a very clear indication that they are not Copelandia cyanescens, or could that mean that they are, but just not active.

Thanks for answering my noob questions :smile:

Peace

Invisiblenewusername222
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Pic-o-the month winner question [Re: Chapter24]
    #3436290 - 12/02/04 09:11 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Again, if they did not bruise blue, that are not cope cyans. I can't say whether the ones in the pic of the month bruised blue or not. If they did, then they are copes. If not, then they are not. That's how you distinguish the two types of mushrooms you are asking about.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification