Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Colonized Cakes in Incubator
    #3427406 - 11/30/04 10:58 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Right now I have 3 cakes in my fruiting chamber. They've been in there for about 15 days now with no pins. I have another 8 cakes that just finished colonizing and can be dunked, cold-shocked, and rolled right now. My concern is this: From Dec. 18th to Jan. 2nd I won't be here and I don't want any fruiting to be going on while I'm away. And since it's already been 16 days and no pins with the 3 cakes, I have no way of knowing how long the other 8 cakes might take to pin once they are in the fruiting chamber. So, my question is: How long can I fully colonized cake remain in the incubator? I don't know if I should put it in the chamber now and risk it not being done when I leave or if I should wait until I come back. Help would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDastoner
n00b

Loc: NORTHWEST, USA
Re: Colonized Cakes in Incubator [Re: MoneyAddyct]
    #3427458 - 11/30/04 11:18 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well, if you leave them in there for too long the shrooms will actually start growing inside of the jars. they will be very smashed and pressed, and probably wont get very big.

Edit: I dont think that was your question.
How long can I fully colonized cake remain in the incubator?

I wouldnt leave them in there for longer than I had to. 5 days ?

--------------------
-------------------------------
I hope this post Helped you.

Edited by Dastoner (11/30/04 11:20 AM)

InvisibleDankman
Headphone Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Colonized Cakes in Incubator [Re: Dastoner]
    #3427516 - 11/30/04 11:49 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I once made a batch of pint jars and within a few weeks had given up on them - half had contams and half stalled. About 2 months later I opened my box to find one fully colonized jar. I cased it and got a decent flush out of it. I didn't have them in an incubater though - the temp could have been as low as 75. I would wait to fruit them till you got back. Don't have much experience with this so I am only offering my opinion.

--------------------
"There was a dirty rainbow coming out of the fucking toilet" - 40 Oz.

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Re: Colonized Cakes in Incubator [Re: Dankman]
    #3430042 - 11/30/04 09:24 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm...I'll probably unplug the heater and just leave them in the incubator until I get back. I don't know though. If I see pins within a week then I'll put more in the chamber.

OfflineNoodleSalad
umm...yeah

#3430065 - 11/30/04 09:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If you keep the temp up have don't give them light, then i would bet they would last a long time without fruiting. Also maybe think about leaving them in the fridge, but that might be a bad idea.

--------------------
life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liqour store, 40 oz to
Freedom,
so I'll take that walk.
And I know that ohhhh...I'm not comin back

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Re: Colonized Cakes in Incubator [Re: NoodleSalad]
    #3430373 - 11/30/04 10:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm...ok. What does everyone else think?

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3430418 - 11/30/04 10:47 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Th fridge idea doesn't sound to bad. All it does is mimic winter and makes the mycelium go into a survival type of mode and it stops growing kind of. I've never heard of it staying in there as long as you want but I don't think it'd be a bad idea but then again, that's a long time. I'm not sure if mycelium dies in winter or if it'll die in your fridge, maybe it'll stay in survival mode But you might want to inject a bit of water into the jars. They would most likely dry up, so just get some steryle water and inject. Um, Yeah, it should take about 2wks to 4 wks for your casing/cake to pin and then fruit. It depends on conditions, strain ect ect, things of that nature. Well gl and I hope the bastards don't die, =), gl man, later

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Colonized Cakes in Incubator [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3431077 - 12/01/04 01:21 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

yeah.. i'd stick them in the fridge. But secondly, as long as you don't expose them to light in your incubator, odds are they won't grow invitro, and even if they do, oh well.. you pick them all, dunk and roll, and your shit will already be being pinning, and you won't wait 16 days.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds