Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Mycobags, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
High Mountain Compost - Okay for casing?
    #3428926 - 11/30/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Hello everyone. I ordered some supplies and they are on the way. I was planning on purchasing compost mixture from High Mountain Compost ( http://www.highmountaincompost.com/index.php ). I was wondering if this would be a suitable casing material?

Also, I am planning on going out of town for about a week. It would be right around the time that my bulk would we colonizing. Assuming that I had automated heating and a nice strong layer of perlite in a good dark and tight container...is it bad for mycelium to be just sort of sitting there? I wouldn't be for more than a week...and that is assuming I start the colonization and shake the bag a few days before I leave. So...10 days without getting touched : Good or Bad, assuming temperature/humidity is good and stable...?

Thanks,
ADoobie

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: High Mountain Compost - Okay for casing? [Re: ADoobie]
    #3429090 - 11/30/04 07:33 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Compost does not meet the requirements of a casing layer. It should be non nutritive to prevent contamination. The major purpose of a casing layer is to add the moisture and mycealia structure that leads to ideal fruiting. You can spawn the compost, you can PC it in MycoBags and inoculate or spawn, or you could mix with vermiculite or straw and spawn it that way. Casing would be out of the question.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/8

The is all and be all source for casings. Read them all twice then post any questions you may have. Feel free to PM me

If your bulk is just colonizing, all you can do is to let it sit. It should take about 7-10 days depending on your spawn ratio, moisture, substrate, etc. Leave it! But leave it in a semi-sealed container in your incubator. High 70's through low to mid 80's.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Re: High Mountain Compost - Okay for casing? [Re: SoopaX]
    #3429174 - 11/30/04 07:57 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

SoopaX said:
Compost does not meet the requirements of a casing layer. It should be non nutritive to prevent contamination...Casing would be out of the question

Not to second guess your knowledge, but I have scoured the casing archives and for the most part they agree. However, I did notice this little tidbit in the 50/50+ Tek

" Next, take a mixture of 50% peat moss and 50% vermiculite, sterilized or pasteurized..."
and
" There has been a lot of discussion on whether it's better to sterilize the casing soil or not. In my friend's studies, he has found that sterilizing is better. Some people like to pasteurize it. That's OK, but he prefers to sterilize it. "

I would like to hear, any success with pasteurized casings? Who are those "some people", and if you happen to be reading this...I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for your thoughts,
ADoobie

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #3429181 - 11/30/04 07:59 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

what he means is that HMC is a spawn, for your spawn run, in that it is a nutritious material, which will increase your myc. mass
a casing layer is there to provide extra water to the myc. mass
i have worked with many bulk teks, never used HMC, but all reports on it seem to be good
make sure you know what you are doing, though.

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3429295 - 11/30/04 08:17 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

ADoobie said:
I would like to hear, any success with pasteurized casings? Who are those "some people", and if you happen to be reading this...I would love to hear from you.

If you wet your casing layer a bit more than is necessary you can microwave it and steam out the excess. This leads to contam free casing.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Re: High Mountain Compost - Okay for casing? [Re: SoopaX]
    #3429349 - 11/30/04 08:27 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Aha thanks. Scoopa, good look. D

So then, if I wanted to get adventurous and decrease my odds of (total) success, I could theoretically nuke some of the compost and use that for some casings, and then use the pasteurized (not nuked/sterilized) compost on a few other batches... and keep a nice grow log to show you guys how it went?

Peace
ADoobie

--------------------
ADoobie said:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Mycobags, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation