Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinespread8out
rescue toaster

Loc: Tennessee
good and evil
    #3427982 - 11/30/04 01:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Segment of an essay I had to do on Jekyll and Hyde for Comp 2:

//
In this story Stevenson is not merely describing an instance of a human?s struggle with good and evil, but is bringing the struggle to light as a problem of humanity as a whole. He even goes so far as to state that all human beings are commingled out of good and evil. Every religion and philosophy deals with this inherent aspect of human nature in a unique way.
Many important questions can be brought forth and some contain crutial logical goals, worthy of questioning. One such question is the problem of evil in as proposed by the Christian religions. The question is ?How can a good God allow evil??. The challenge to this question is normally posed with the reasoning that a good God and all powerful God can destroy evil. As evil occurs naturally and often with horrendus intensity at every moment around the world, one could logically claim that such a good and all powerful God could not exist. A Christian ?spirit-scientist? belives he has solved this situation with this answer:
The key to the resolution of this apparent conflict is to recognize that when we say God is all powerful, we do not imply that He is capable of doing anything imaginable. True, Scripture states that "with God all things are possible" (Mt. 19:26). But Scripture also states that there are some things God cannot do. For instance, God cannot lie (Tit. 1:2). Neither can He be tempted to sin, nor can He tempt others to sin (James 1:13). In other words, He cannot do anything that is "out of character" for a righteous God. Neither can He do anything that is out of character for a rational being in a rational world. Certainly even God cannot "undo the past," or create a square triangle, or make what is false true. He cannot do what is irrational or absurd. And it is on this basis that we conclude that God could not eliminate evil without at the same time rendering it impossible to accomplish other goals which are important to Him (Rood 2).
The buddhist relgion approaches this manner with different but strangely similar reasoning. It posits that good and evil have no real substance in themselves but are based on relative distictions. Buddhism is definitely not just saying that ?it?s all relative?--it emphasizes that good is created through a continual struggle against evil. This view seems to tie in what most religions belive to be right and makes sense of one of the most important lessons that we find in Stevenson?s story: although one facet of morality is naturally more appealing than the other, it is impossible to live wholly without one or the other.
//

I didn't go into more detail as far as relgious beliefs are on the matter. I don't think my crazy southern baptist teacher would've taken it very well. I'm sure she'd think me crazier than she already does had I gone into how Buddha, while full of goodness and goo, can also contain the nature of evil. (Contrast: Devadatta carries the Buddha nature.)

On a side note, anyone else notice the fresh flow of good tunes comin in lately?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: good and evil [Re: spread8out]
    #3428031 - 11/30/04 02:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

spread8out said:

On a side note, anyone else notice the fresh flow of good tunes comin in lately?

Is that what has me so giddy off my rocker lately? Some new wind is blowin my skirt up and I'm not wearing any underwear!

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (11/30/04 02:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order