Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRootedGrowth
Grain Apprentice
 User Gallery
Couple questions about PC'ing rye, please help =\
    #3426075 - 11/30/04 12:07 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I just got done PC'ing 7 quart rye jars following mag's method to a tee.

Once the jars were removed the grain inside has appeared to have shrunk a bit, I'd say about an inch. The inside of the jars have condensation.

Is this normal? Or is moisture, or too much moisture, escaping the jars?

Mag's tek doesn't seem to account for this "shrinkage" so it has me a bit concerned.

Also, I didn't wait for the steam to release from the PC after I was done. I just put on an oven mitt and pushed the little ball on top to release steam more quickly. I know the book warns that this could lead to burns, but could doing this have any actual ill effects to my jars?

I REALLY do not want to wait 45 minutes for the damn thing to cool so I can remove the lid. Obviously, if I have to do so then I will.

One last thing, I read in my PC book that if I add a bit of vinegar to the water before PC'ing it will help prevent the water stains on the jars. Has anyone done this or does anyone know a reason why I shouldn't?

I have had a lot of questions this evening. I appreciate all you're help.

--------------------
Death is a reason to live

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Couple questions about PC'ing rye, please help =\ [Re: RootedGrowth]
    #3426111 - 11/30/04 12:15 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Shrinkage...I haven't heard this one before.

Before PC'ing After PC'ing

It may shrink a little but a inch seems like a lot. Was there foil over the top of the jars?

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineRootedGrowth
Grain Apprentice
 User Gallery
Re: Couple questions about PC'ing rye, please help =\ [Re: Magash]
    #3426133 - 11/30/04 12:22 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I did have foil over the top, and wrapped pretty tight. Tyvek was over the holes and the lids were on tight. The rye inside still appears to be moist but still more dry than the jars I haven't PC'ed.

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3426140 - 11/30/04 12:23 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Is it anything like the pics I put up? Looking like it dried a little is normal.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineRootedGrowth
Grain Apprentice
 User Gallery
    #3426168 - 11/30/04 12:29 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah it looks pretty similar to the pic. An inch of shrinkage might be a bit over zealous, but they are certainly smaller than they were before PC'ing.

Can manually making the pressure release as I did cause any problems? It didn't occur to me at the time, but now I am wondering if making the pressure change so quickly could cause problems.

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3426229 - 11/30/04 12:45 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You know I hear it can cause problems but I hate to answer if I haven't done it before and I just let em cool so I can't really answer that one.

--------------------

OfflineRootedGrowth
Grain Apprentice
 User Gallery
    #3426234 - 11/30/04 12:46 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well, whats done is done, heh. So if I have or don't have any problems with those jars I will be sure to post the results.

Thanks for the reply bro!

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3426281 - 11/30/04 12:57 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

.dude, shake it, and it will fluff back up rofflez :grin:

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3426286 - 11/30/04 12:58 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Feel free anytime you like. That's why I'm here. Goes for anybody.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3426341 - 11/30/04 01:11 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RootedGrowth said:
Yeah it looks pretty similar to the pic. An inch of shrinkage might be a bit over zealous, but they are certainly smaller than they were before PC'ing.

Can manually making the pressure release as I did cause any problems? It didn't occur to me at the time, but now I am wondering if making the pressure change so quickly could cause problems.

I've never ever let my PC cool of naturally, i ALWAYS let out the steam, then i take the jars out, shake while hot. then i let them sit on the counter 30 mins, then i put them in a ice-water bath in my sink for a fast cool down, let it sit in the ice water 1 hour, and they are ready to inoculate!

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies