Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrevorda8
My home isearth.
 User Gallery

Loc: P.N.W.
How long?
    #3421537 - 11/28/04 10:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

How long does it normally take for mushrooms to start fruiting on newly laid wood chips/mulch.

Arround my area there is alot of new houses popping up everywhere.
I havent seen any mushrooms in nearly perfect chips and mulch.

Thanks for the help, My 1st post!

--------------------
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" -Pink Floyd.
Memories make up our lifes as we know it. Our souls are lost between time and space.

Edited by trevorda8 (11/28/04 10:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSweetLeaf
"33"
 User Gallery

Loc: wa
Re: How long? [Re: trevorda8]
    #3421543 - 11/28/04 10:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Cyans prefer old decaying woodchips, opposed to newly laid mulch.

Woodchips that have been exposed to the elements for +2 years is prime.

--------------------
Ph.dizzle

Offlinetrevorda8
My home isearth.
 User Gallery

Re: How long? [Re: SweetLeaf]
    #3421565 - 11/28/04 11:03 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Much appreciated. Thanks

--------------------
Memories make up our lifes as we know it. Our souls are lost between time and space.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #3421945 - 11/29/04 01:12 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

A few years.

OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #3422431 - 11/29/04 09:01 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cyans prefer old decaying woodchips, opposed to newly laid mulch.

I'm gonna have to step up and say that, old decaying woodchips is not what they prefer. Fresh chips are much better for wood lovers than +2 year old chips. Normally its in the +2 year old chips that U find your Mushies in. I know that. The reason for that is not because they prefer +2 year old chips. The reason is that, thats how long it takes for the chips to be colonized without outside help. From a nutrition stand point, chips that are fresh to a year old are much better for the mushies. The sugars and other nutrients in the wood chips that the mushies love are at the highest content. Its all down hill from there nutritionally speaking. If U add myco to those very fresh one year old chips they will take off as long as the other necessary growth parameters are met, ie temp and humidity. I do have experience in this area. If I had a choice between fresh and +2 year old chips for my projects I would select the fresh chips every time. Check out the pics in my outdoor cyan beds. Those were grown with fresh chips.

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

Edited by Ice House Shaman (11/29/04 09:05 AM)

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Re: How long? [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #3422655 - 11/29/04 10:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I would have to agree with Ice House Shaman, soully on the fact that his cyan beds are phenomenal.

Offlinetrevorda8
My home isearth.
 User Gallery

Re: How long? [Re: psiclops]
    #3423840 - 11/29/04 04:13 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well, Im not really planning on throwing some mycelia on the chips.
Im just pretty much wondering about how long it would naturally take for mushrooms to start colonizing the chips.

Also, a new question- How long would it take psilocybe stuntzii to grab hold of newly laid soil?
Theres also a new park that I found yesterday and the grass seems like it would be prime for rich soil- loving mushrooms.
Im very lucky to have all this happening just around my home.
Lots of development is happening and I would love to someday show you guys some of my finds.

--------------------

OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

#3424310 - 11/29/04 05:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If U do not throw myco into the wood chips U accept the fact that mushrooms may possibly NEVER grow in that bed. It is truely a crap shoot. If the new beds in question are in a general area with other beds that produce active, the odds of actives growing in the new one go up astronomically. The fact is mushies may never grow in that bed. U may see em as soon as the coming spring. IMHO The fresher the chips, however, the greater nutritional value for any myco that does start to grow there.

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Re: How long? [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #3425230 - 11/29/04 08:39 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ice house shaman is correct....

in order to maintain nutrients, you need to maintain fresh woodchips yearly or whatever...many of my patches from last year are gone simply because they used up all the woodchips and there wasnt any laid down to replace them this spring...

it takes some time for any mushroom to colonize their substrate, especially woodlovers.  you'll find fruits on older chips because they have colonized them enough to produce fruitbodies.

:sun:
Psily

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

Offlinetrevorda8
My home isearth.
 User Gallery

Re: How long? [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3425719 - 11/29/04 10:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I know a patch of cyanscens that is close (location wise) to the development area.
I was thinking if spores were to land on the wood- since the chance of there being another patch somewhere elese is increased by the fact that there is a patch existing locally.

I do not know of any more existing patches in the area, but im sure there is some unfound patches.

Im not much of a cultivator, but i've been doing some research on making mycelium, and was thinking of taking your advice about placing some mycelium on a few beds.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

--------------------

Edited by trevorda8 (11/30/04 11:13 PM)

Offlinetrevorda8
My home isearth.
 User Gallery

#3582199 - 01/04/05 11:28 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

These are the cyans I found about a month and a half ago right behind my house on my way home one day.
It was amazing and a magical experience, and I had trouble seperating reality from logic. This was my first find, first visual of cyanescens than will be remembered forever.

Thanks shroomery for helping me out with the identification, and generally teaching me what im doing. I am now a proud p.n.w. shroomer who enjoys hunting often.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order