Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
quick question re jar lids: upside down or rightside up?
    #3424660 - 11/29/04 09:06 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Just a quick question: is it necessary to place the lids of my jars upside down, rubber side up when i pc them? whether upside down or rightside up, how tightly should i twist the jar prior to pressure cooking?

also, but on a related note, what kind of sanitation precautions do you take pre-pressure cooking? it would seem to me that sterility and a contamination-free work environment become paramount after you've pressure cooked your jars; that is, while you're innoculating them, and again while you're transfering them to the casing containers, and then again when you move them from casing incubation into the fruiting chamber are the times when you really want to observe the rules of sterility to the max.

as always, thanks for the help.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: quick question re jar lids: upside down or rightside up? [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3424722 - 11/29/04 09:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You want the rubber side down, so the jar is basically sealed. Screw the lid down tight, cover with alum foil then pressure cook.

I don't have any sterile practices for pre-pressure cooking. After PC'ing, I suggest working in an oven door if you dont have a glove box (rising hot air prevents contams from landing on your work surface)

Always good to be as sterile as possible though for transfers, inoculation, casing, you name it.

Good luck

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Edited by HolyDiver (11/29/04 09:21 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation