Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Politician proposes no voting rights for welfare recipients
    #3422883 - 11/29/04 12:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/fremmedsprog/English/article.jhtml?articleID=216023

Liberal proposes no voting rights for welfare recipients

No voting rights for the unemployed, students, pensioners and other benefits recipients, a prominent member of the Liberal Youth of Denmark said in a discussion paper issued this morning.

Those who do no contribute to society should not have the right to vote, said Lotte Noer, an executive committee member of the Liberal Youth of Denmark and chairwoman of the committee responsible for developing the organisation's policies.

The Liberal youth organisation's chairman, Claus Horsted, distanced himself from the proposal to rob welfare recipients of the vote, but said that he did not think Lotte Noer should be forced to leave her posts due to her political views.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Politician proposes no voting rights for welfare recipients [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3422936 - 11/29/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That would be a giant step backwards for democracy.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Politician proposes no voting rights for welfare recipients [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3422954 - 11/29/04 12:23 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I would not call that 'the thin end of the wedge', more a fucking big stake in the heart of Democracy.

Lets see what else can we do so to keep the voting demographic 'our' way.

Maybe taking the vote off people who don't own land?

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Politician proposes no voting rights for welfare recipients [Re: psilomonkey]
    #3423082 - 11/29/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Let me open this by stating that I think depriving welfare recipients of the right to vote is not a good idea.

But when you say

Quote:

Lets see what else can we do so to keep the voting demographic 'our' way.

you are of course aware that this is precisely what the Liberal politicians are doing with their support for welfare programs? How many welfare recipients do you think vote for conservative candidates?

pinky

--------------------

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Politician proposes no voting rights for welfare recipients [Re: Phred]
    #3423132 - 11/29/04 01:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Liberal politicians influence people by pursuing policies that benefit them? Of course, that's what politicians in a democracy do.

I don't think that welfare recipients are guaranteed to vote one way or the other. My point was 'editing' the voter register on sociological criteria is a process once started will make a sham of democracy.

It could also apply to saying only people that have served in the military can vote.

Edited by psilomonkey (11/29/04 01:32 PM)

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3423481 - 11/29/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I find it absolutely astounding that anyone can seriously contend that just because someone is a student, a pensioner, a welfare recipient or unemployes means that they therefor "do not contribute to society".

And Pinky; Psilomonkey is quite right, there can be no sensible comparison made between policies that benefit one sector of society or indeed disadvantage one sector of society, and policies that actively exclude a sector of society from the democratic process.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #3424537 - 11/29/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

you should own 40 acres and a mule to be able to vote...

oh, wait a second.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Politician proposes no voting rights for welfare recipients [Re: MrBump]
    #3424729 - 11/29/04 07:20 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That is very funny

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3425300 - 11/29/04 08:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well you guys all make fun of the "40 acres and a mule" thing but the reason why you needed to own property (ie. land, stock, assets, etc) to vote when the US started was so a bunch of lazy-ass losers who don't work hard couldn't get together and vote themselves a piece of the public treasury. I'm not exaggerating either, that was really the reason.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #3425345 - 11/29/04 09:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

No voting rights for the unemployed, students, pensioners and other benefits recipients

yeah like the retired war vets on retirement or on disability because of lost limbs ect who have contributed more to societcy than she could ever do in ten lives. And lets take away students (our future doctors, lawyers ect.) right to vote as they aren't contributing to society. What a dumb cunt. I think she's a double agent. dosn't make sense for a liberal to cut some of it's demographic strong points.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Re: Politician proposes no voting rights for welfare recipients [Re: Catalysis]
    #3427623 - 11/30/04 12:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:
Well you guys all make fun of the "40 acres and a mule" thing but the reason why you needed to own property (ie. land, stock, assets, etc) to vote when the US started was so a bunch of lazy-ass losers who don't work hard couldn't get together and vote themselves a piece of the public treasury. I'm not exaggerating either, that was really the reason.

ummm, i thought 40 acres and a mule was a promise made by the government to ex-slaves after the civil war for "reparations"

as for your post, i have no idea what your talking about.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3428331 - 11/30/04 03:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Do politicians technically make a contribution to society?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: Politician proposes no voting rights for welfare recipients [Re: MrBump]
    #3428780 - 11/30/04 04:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"ummm, i thought 40 acres and a mule was a promise made by the government to ex-slaves after the civil war for "reparations"

as for your post, i have no idea what your talking about. "

I think it was less of a promise and more of an idea that was tossed about.

Now, originally in the US you did have to own land to vote.. but really, owning land wasn't too difficult I would imagine. Plenty of forests that didn't really belong to anyone.. if you had two feet, a gun, and an axe, you could always just walk west a ways and make yourself.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Politician proposes no voting rights for welfare recipients [Re: Catalysis]
    #3429145 - 11/30/04 05:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:

Any sources or quotes pertaining to this? I'm not casting a doubt over it, i'd just like to read more about it.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Politician proposes no voting rights for welfare recipients [Re: SoopaX]
    #3429315 - 11/30/04 06:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry, I was drunk and confused LOL. I was referring to the fact that, originally, you had to own property to vote in the US.

Here is an excellent read to see what im talking about...

History They Didn't Teach Our Class in School

Quote:

"But the most common and durable source of factions has been the unequal distribution of property. Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society. Those who are creditors, and those who are debtors, fall under a like discrimination. A landed interest, a manufacturing interest, a mercantile interest, a moneyed interest, with many lesser interests, grow up of necessity in civilized nations, and divide them into different classes, actuated by different sentiments and views."

-James Madison

Edited by Catalysis (11/30/04 06:29 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies