Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblezeuzjuz
kicker of elves
Easy cure for weak, spindly, or skinny plant stems
    #342432 - 06/16/01 07:03 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I have some plants growing, they had very weak and spindly stems, and the first set of leaves didn't appear until about 4" up the plant. They began bending and leaning over, and I was concerned for their death. And someone let me in on a little secret, that's much easier than the 'tying the stem to a stick with thread' method of supporting a young plant. Simple get a plastic drinking straw, cut it to a little less than the height of the plant, slit it down the side so you can open it. Wrap it wound the stem and then push it down about 1/4-1/2" into the soil. It will hold the stem perfectly until it gets stronger. And when the stem is biggger than the straw, it will naturally shed the piece of plastic(or you could remove it yourself when you felt the plants were healthy enough). This would work on any plant that starts with a very skinny stem. Just some info for ya. It works great. Try to get the clear straws, so you get plenty of light.

//sananaB cinataS tronS I//

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezeuzjuz
kicker of elves
Re: Easy cure for weak, spindly, or skinny plant stems [Re: zeuzjuz]
    #342433 - 06/16/01 07:04 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

This of course applies mostly to MJ, but would work for any plant.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #342441 - 06/16/01 07:20 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Another, more natural solution would be to give the plants proper light and a shake now and then. Then the plant will build its own strong stem faster.

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

Invisiblezeuzjuz
kicker of elves
Re: Easy cure for weak, spindly, or skinny plant stems [Re: Anno]
    #342442 - 06/16/01 07:23 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm just talking about for a severe situation, like when the leaves are perfectly healthy, but the stem is so skinny the plant bends all the way over to touch the ground. Just a quick repair method kind of. And the ones I am referring to were outdoor grown MJ, and were getting plenty of light. Probably nutrient deficiency.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #342448 - 06/16/01 07:35 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

oh, ok.

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Loc: springfield
    #348800 - 06/25/01 05:32 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

when the stem gets really tall before the seeds "cap is shead, does this mean that the seedling has been left in the dark too long? asking cause i got like 5 plants which are pretty tall for a seedling(~4in) and 2 that are leaning over. gonna try the straw thing, thanx

--------------------
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

Bertrand Russell

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: Easy cure for weak, spindly, or skinny plant stems [Re: hubertd8]
    #348905 - 06/25/01 08:17 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Spindly seedlings are caused by insufficient lighting. Ample sunlight, or a good florescent light is what you need. The plants aren't getting enough light. Try the straw thing for these plants and move the light closer, like 6 inches away from the tops of the plants.

Tired of pimping yourself on the corner to afford spores? Well throw out that red dress and go to the FSR, for spores even you can afford.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Invisiblezeuzjuz
kicker of elves
Re: Easy cure for weak, spindly, or skinny plant stems [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #348914 - 06/25/01 08:27 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Well in the case I was talking about, the plants were in full sunlight getting 10+ hours a day, and still grew like that. Hubert, I think you may be on to something about being left in the dark too long though. When the seeds were germinated, in my case, they were germinated for a little too long before planting, in water and in the dark. The sprout came out of the seeds nearly a half an inch before planting. That could have been a problem. Hmmm, I'm really not sure how to answer your question, I only have theories, as I have seen the same problem every time. And the plant becomes very unstable in it's in-between sprout and sturdy plant phases, because the leaves start too high, thus weighing it over. Hmmmm.... I dunno. www.overgrow.com has a cool message board with some knowledgable folks answering q's, but I have never gotten a straight answer to the 'Why the plants keep commiting suicide/falling over'. Maybe no-one knows. Could be alot of things. Dark too long/nutrient deficient/not enough light.

--------------------

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #349123 - 06/26/01 03:07 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

seedlings get leggy when they are not exposed to enough ligh. The plant reaches up as far as possible to get to some light, but with out enough photosynthesis going on it cannot grow a thicker stem or more leaves. When sprouting your seeds leave them only long enough for the root to break through the seedcoat then transfer to soil. Sprouting seeds outside of soil is only to help with germination, after that your are just growing bean sprouts.
The first few weeks in a seedlings life are the most crucial of the entire plants life. If they don't get proper nutrients and light there is a good possability that they will not survive.

Tired of pimping yourself on the corner to afford spores? Well throw out that red dress and go to the FSR, for spores even you can afford.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Anonymous

#350182 - 06/27/01 03:52 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

sorry, don't feel like logging in (hubert) but heres what i did, i just added a few more inchs of "top" soil to the really tall seedlings, and it for now works.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck