Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: BEST CHEAP BULK INCUBATOR &/or GROW CHAMBER AROUND [Re: agar]
    #3418787 - 11/28/04 07:47 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, but it isn't automatic.

Wire the heatsource up to a waterbed heater controller. You can get ones that even have a digital temperature readout for 20$ shipped on eBay. Just wire it up and place the temperature sensor in an appropriate place.. You could mount the readout on the exterior.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: BEST CHEAP BULK INCUBATOR &/or GROW CHAMBER AROUND [Re: discman1]
    #3419307 - 11/28/04 01:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I was thinking about it too
------snip--------
#3392837 - 11/21/04 11:43 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

You may want to consider insulation too.
With less heat loss you can use a smaller heater.
http://www.earthadvantage.com/homes/pop/insulation/pix/in_rigid.jpg
Or just find an old fridge and use it,you have a door,it's well insulated,it has a nice seal to keep out bugs,you can install a lock,you have shelves and if you have a working one you can use it to cold shock to stimulate fruiting.
A 100 watt light bulb is the same as a 100 watt heater as far as mushrooms are concerned and they need the light to develop properly.
Use a timer going to a lamp,I'd change the bulb to 100 move the socket further into the fridge and bypass the door switch then just plug the fridge into the light timer with the compressor bypassed...but I'm a handy dude and know electricity,I recommend caution or an electrician friend.
A submersible heater in a large jar in the fridge can provide heat when the light is off.(the light has to cycle)
You can probably pick up a used fridge pretty cheap especially if it isn't working at all,and it won't draw as much attention as a clear plastic covered shelving unit full of mushrooms.
you can install a computer case fan in a hole in the side of the fridge (carefull cutting, wiring or coils may be in there!)for air circulation if it gets too hot (wire to thermostat)or you want to get rid of CO2
put it low(CO2 sinks)with a flapper valve(rubber or thick plastic curtain)on the outside to prevent bugs getting in and keep wind out.
Geeze where can I get a fridge?
I think I may build one and stick it in the garage

--------------------
I was worried about losing my mind until I started enjoying it.

Edited by Peterthinks (11/21/04 11:56 AM)

-----------snip----------

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BEST CHEAP BULK INCUBATOR &/or GROW CHAMBER AROUND [Re: Peterthinks]
    #3419427 - 11/28/04 02:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Incubation requires no light optimally so agar's idea would work nicely for an incubator (foil wrapped bulb) & grow chamber (unwrapped bulb) using the existing socket. A small fan would be nice for even heating as the temps will fluctuate quite a bit between top and bottom also. A little tinkering is always necessary IME. Incoorperating "clean" FAE would be the biggest obstacle IMO.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3419744 - 11/28/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

For the fan couldnt one just drill 2 holes in the door? one for tube of airpump blowing air in (filterd if you like) another one with maybe polyfill in it so the frisge can release pressure. No air will come in cause the pressure is going outside

Ok but then ur fridge isnt that much in disguise longer...

--------------------

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: BEST CHEAP BULK INCUBATOR &/or GROW CHAMBER AROUND [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3419814 - 11/28/04 04:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

True...they have a decent cfm and it'd be easier to filter.

--------------------
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3419926 - 11/28/04 05:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Also FAE needs to be humid otherwise RH fluctuation would be too extreme. I've already got that one figured out HEPA filtered Homer2 or coolmist plumbed in from the rear should work, just a thought.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: BEST CHEAP BULK INCUBATOR &/or GROW CHAMBER AROUND [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3419967 - 11/28/04 05:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I don't need a disguise..I don't have to hide nothing cause I grow no reactives!
If I wanted a hidden grow I'd probably use an empty computer case and call it a server.Or just set it up somewhere else like a storage locker or bus station locker.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3419991 - 11/28/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

NOt much of an isue here either but since someone mentioned it on the forum...
But before I will modify fridges to grwo me shrooms in I first have to grow shrooms in a rubbermaid! :grin:

BUt I like to think about the future and reading and making ideas and stuff.

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BEST CHEAP BULK INCUBATOR &/or GROW CHAMBER AROUND [Re: agar]
    #3423551 - 11/29/04 03:09 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

YES - You can use a wireless Temp/RH unit in a MYCOBOX freezer.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Simply drill 1/2 or 5/8ths inch hole through box, mount sending unit over the hole inside the box & mount reciever on the opposite side of the hole - outside the box.

Alternatively, (& better yet) unscrew sending unit, find antenna wire, add a foot long extension wire to existing antenna wire, drill small antenna wire size hole through box wall, mount sending unit inside box, run extended antenna wire out through small hole to outside box, silicone seal hole. Then set or mount receiver unit wherever you want it.

There are several VERY effective ways of heating a MYCOBOX to about any desired temp.

HEAT TAPE.... like they use to wrap outside water pipes in the winter - to keep them from freezing.......modified by removing thermostat & wiring to a rheostat (dimmer switch) outside box.

PLANT HEAT MAT like they use under seedling trays, wired in same as above.

WATER BED HEATER & thermostat, wired same as above.

HEAT LAMP BULB, like they use for baby chickens, covered & wired in same as above.

HOT ROCK, or heat mat like they use for reptile tanks, wired in same as above.

SINGLE ELEMENT HOT PLATE, in bottom of box, wired in same as above.

CERAMIC HEATER A very small one (desk top style), with a thermostat inside the box, wired in same as above.

HAND HELD HAIR DRYER, fan & heating unit, wired to a thermostat contol, same as above.

Whatever you use to heat the MYCOBOX? ........DO IT SAFELY.
Waterproof type heating systems are the safest.

For premium RH control..... in fruiting cycle.

Simply place a small utrasonic humidifier unit, or modified coolmist unit inside the box, hard wired to off/on & timer switch outside the box & rig a piece of tubing or pvc pipe through box wall to add water (with funnel) to the units holding tank from outside the box.

By having RH unit inside the box, you can still filter air going into the box through your air filter system.

Remove interior RH unit during incubation cycle, for more room (if needed).

A WORK IN PROGRESS

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds