Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: John]
    #3424402 - 11/29/04 06:15 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

they have a set number of hours they HAVE to let me work a week so no. they actually just hired two more employees which we absolutly do not need in fact we were already over staffed before that, i really don't get it

EVERYWHERE now employs a shitload of part-time employees so nobody get near 40 hours a week. The reason they do this is they don't want to pay overtime or be sued to provide benefits to full-time people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: ]
    #3424460 - 11/29/04 06:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

things are different depending on where you area. when i lived in bucks county, no one paid minimum wage. my first part-time bullshit job that i got while i was in high school paid six bucks an hour when i started. there, the market value for even the cheapest kind of labor was greater than $5.15, and the minimum wage really had no effect at all. it's pretty easy for just about anyone to find work there.

where i live now, the situation is different. the market value for unskilled labor here is below the minimum wage. this is reflected in the fact that almost all part-time unskilled positions start at minimum wage and it's pretty hard to find a job even at that. here, the minimum wage causes problems in the labor market... things are a little more expensive, and it's harder to find a job, than it should be. the only ones who benefit are those who are able to snag a minimum-wage position, and it's at the cost of everyone else. i know a few people who would be quite willing to work for less than the minimum wage but can't find a job.

Edited by mushmaster (11/30/04 09:48 AM)

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3424466 - 11/29/04 06:32 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

yeah but we wern't aloud to work full-time before they decided to hire 2 new people anyway. and we do get benefits in the way of if i ever has an emergency i can go to the teaching hospital and get free emergency care. dental work is real cheap though the school ect. i even get a huge discount on vet work which came in real handy this weekend. also we have sick and vaction pay. i don't get it.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: ]
    #3424504 - 11/29/04 06:38 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I know a few people who would be quite willing to work for less than the minimum wage but can't find a job

Welcome to Pennsyl-fucking-vania. Home of one of the shittiest economies on earth(second only to a few African countries currently embroiled in civil wars).

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3424526 - 11/29/04 06:43 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

John said:
Quote:

With the current level of unemployment at around 5% nobody will take those wages and if you're stupid enough to you shouldn't reproduce, for sure.

ala ignorance. sorry not all of us have nothing better to do than lug around a hammer all day. some have more important obligations (aka school) but still need to be able to survive. mind you most entry level college students such as myself have absolutly nothing going for them in terms of good paying, flexible hour jobs.

Nothing better to do than lug around a hammer all day? Go fuck yourself. More important things to do like go to school? Kiss my ass if you think that anybody other than yourself and/or your parents owes you anything in terms of your own support after you turn 18. I lugged around a hammer when I went to college. I'm a contractor, not a psychologist, today because I had the good sense to lug that hammer when I was in college.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#3424551 - 11/29/04 06:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:

There are plenty of jobs in construction labor that go begging around here for $10 an hour, cash, plus lunch.

Where do you live? The economy in my area is SHIT. When the local WalMart opened, I think almost a thousand people showed up for six-seven dollar an hour jobs.

Westchester county NY. If you can't find work where you are move

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3424568 - 11/29/04 06:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I lugged around a hammer when I went to college. I'm a contractor, not a psychologist, today because I had the good sense to lug that hammer when I was in college.

Psychology!?!? Oh god, that's almost as bad of a major as "Communications". I know people with Psychology degrees who work as cashiers and waitresses.

Isn't it weird how the "trades"(building houses, fixing stuff, doing electrical work, machinists, etc...) require only a year or two of school, seem to pay more than jobs that college graduates get, and are much more secure?

Edited by RandalFlagg (11/29/04 06:51 PM)

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3424588 - 11/29/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If you can't find work where you are move

I run my own business over the internet, so I actually do reasonably well and my business is not dependent upon the local economy. It does get depressing when I see a lot of empty storefronts downtown and a lot of people on welfare.

Edited by RandalFlagg (11/29/04 06:54 PM)

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

#3424591 - 11/29/04 06:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

uh yeah chill. how many construction jobs have postions open after 5pm? yeah. my parents don't support me at all, all i have is a father and he is in worse finacial shape than I. if you consider good sense me dropping classes so i can work construction well i don't know what to tell you. i can't take night classes because most classes i'm taking aren't offered at night. you're a contractor making how much a year compared to a psychologist pay? or in terms of my major, how many countrys have you traveled to recently and what research have you done in the field of enthnobotany/medicine or other research to help humans?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3424610 - 11/29/04 06:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
. " It should be set at a level that would discourage the starting of a family, if that's all you can make. It's essentially a device to protect children and retards. "

THIS IS THE WILDEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD WOW WOW WOW :shocked:fucknickle

"I doubt that anyone willing to work for minimum wage is unemployed."

AND THIS IS SO FAR FROM THE REAL WORLD I THINK YOU OWN A VERY VERY SMALL COMPANY WITH 1 EMPLOYEE fucknuckle
I put ads in the paper AND NOBODY CALLS.  "Salary commensurate with experience" is how it reads.  If you can't find a construction job MOVE HERE

"I also doubt that anyone who is working for minimum wage isn't looking for another job.  The whole argument is a straw man.
There are plenty of jobs in construction labor that go begging around here for $10 an hour, cash, plus lunch. "

WHAT DO YOU THINK JUST ANYONE CAN DO CONSTRUCTION? THINK AGAIN fucknuckle
Pretty much anyone can do laboring construction jobs

The complete lack of real experience in here is killing me :frown: fucknuckle

My "real experience" is that I can't find employees.  At any price.  That's why the illegal Eastern Europeans and the South Americans own construction here.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#3424633 - 11/29/04 07:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

John said:
uh yeah chill. how many construction jobs have postions open after 5pm? yeah. my parents don't support me at all, all i have is a father and he is in worse finacial shape than I. if you consider good sense me dropping classes so i can work construction well i don't know what to tell you. i can't take night classes because most classes i'm taking aren't offered at night. you're a contractor making how much a year compared to a psychologist pay? or in terms of my major, how many countrys have you traveled to recently and what research have you done in the field of enthnobotany/medicine or other research to help humans?

Do you think you have a right to an education beyond the 12th grade? You have a right to pay for one. That is all. The business world has absolutely no obligation to provide you with a subsidy for it. Every hour you work is taken away from someone more grateful for it and who needs it more.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#3424672 - 11/29/04 07:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:

I lugged around a hammer when I went to college. I'm a contractor, not a psychologist, today because I had the good sense to lug that hammer when I was in college.

Psychology!?!? Oh god, that's almost as bad of a major as "Communications". I know people with Psychology degrees who work as cashiers and waitresses.

Isn't it weird how the "trades"(building houses, fixing stuff, doing electrical work, machinists, etc...) require only a year or two of school, seem to pay more than jobs that college graduates get, and are much more secure?

I never looked at college as trade school. If you think that the "trades" require only a year or two of school you are very disrespectful. Mostly they don't require any school, just doing. I'm a master carpenter by trade but I know pretty much everything and am a construction supervisor mostly. It's been 30 years and I'm still learning stuff. The people who own the construction companies deserve a lot more respect than they get from college kids, as do master craftsmen. Trust me, I've been both.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3424738 - 11/29/04 07:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If you think that the "trades" require only a year or two of school you are very disrespectful.

What I meant is that the actual schooling only takes a year or so. That gets your foot in the door and you are expected to continually learn and work. Anybody who is very knowledgable about any subject is deserving of respect...because they worked hard to achieve that knowledge.

Trade schools get right to the nitty gritty of a trade. Colleges make you take a bunch of useless shit(art classes, "diversity focused" classes, etc..) that has nothing to do with your major.

Trade school graduates I know all earn over 20$ an hour. College graduates I know all live at home with their parents and are unemployed or are working for $15,000-$20,000 a year(if they are lucky).

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

#3424770 - 11/29/04 07:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Do you think you have a right to an education beyond the 12th grade? You have a right to pay for one. That is all.

i believe everyone should have the right to education after 12th for as long as they are productive but that isn't the case and i accept that. should education be limited only to those who's parents baby them until they're 30? or should i have to save up for 15 years before i go to school and by the time i get my degree lose jobs to younger people who's parents paid for everything?

--------------------

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

#3424802 - 11/29/04 07:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Colleges make you take a bunch of useless shit(art classes, "diversity focused" classes, etc..) that has nothing to do with your major.

i've learned a lot in my useless shit classes, though they for the most part have nothing to do with my major isn't the more knowledge the better? i mean austic people can be extremly good at one thing but that's it. would you rather be autistic or 'normal'?

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3424822 - 11/29/04 07:32 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I've been exactly where you are. Living off of Ramen noodles, watching all of your fellow college kids fly around in new cars that their parents bought them, and having nothing. It sucks. But it builds character. You will be much more prepared to deal with the real world than people who have everything handed to them.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3424852 - 11/29/04 07:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i've learned a lot in my useless shit classes, though they for the most part have nothing to do with my major isn't the more knowledge the better?

I was at a small college that did not offer a lot of classes. So when it came time to take a "diversity focused" class i.e. any class that sounds politically correct, I had a choice between Feminism 101 and African American Studies 101. No thanks!!

Most of the classes had a Left-wing leaning bias, which was not conducive to me because I am hostile to the Left. I got annoyed because I was there to learn engineering. I was not there to read an essay from some Marxist and write an essay about his essay.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3424860 - 11/29/04 07:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have always believed that in order to graduate, college students should be required to live off min wage for a full year without any classes or help from mommy and learn the ropes of the real life.

That will make some changes in this world. Just wait until they get to elected offices. Yeah shit would happen then

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3427196 - 11/30/04 09:39 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Economics in One Lesson

There isn't an economist in his right mind that
will defend minimum wage laws.

Read the book, it's written such that even someone
of your caliber could understand it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ks&n=507846

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Anonymous

Re: Should minimum wage be raised? [Re: afoaf]
    #3427224 - 11/30/04 09:45 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

highly adbridged version of that gem here: http://www.word-gems.com/wealth.hazlitt.html

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order