Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
A Quote From K-Pax
    #3417612 - 11/27/04 09:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, so any of you who have seen it might already know which quote I'm about to give. It's my favorite quote from the movie:

"I wanna tell you something Mark, something you do not yet know, that we K-PAXians have been around long enough to have discovered. The universe will expand, then it will collapse back on itself, then will expand again. It will repeat this process forever.

What you don't you know is that when the universe expands again, everything will be as it is now. Whatever mistakes you make this time around, you will live through on your next pass. Every mistake you make, you will live through again, & again, forever. So my advice to you is to get it right this time around. Because this time is all you have."
-- Kevin Spacey as "Prot", K-Pax

For the sake of argument, let us assume that this is true: the Universe expands and contracts repeatedly and each cycle is exactly the same as the last.

How would this affect your outlook on life? How would it shape your decisions? Would your spiritual life change much if you learned this to be true, tomorrow?

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: A Quote From K-Pax [Re: trendal]
    #3417669 - 11/27/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting, but Hollywoodish. :heart:

--------------------

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3417684 - 11/27/04 09:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well...

The big crunch theory is like so two years ago. The latest models predict that the universe, or at least this part which we are aware of, will go on expanding forever, never falling back in on it self.

The other idea, reliving our lives in exact detail over and over again, is a key part of Nietzsche's system, and has its roots in the ancient Greek notion of the wheel of time. Whether this is true or not I certainly do agree that Now is all we have. Make the best of what you have now, do what you can do now, and love now. Either we will not get the chance to do now again, or it will be repeated exactly the same as we chose it to be now. Either way the result is the same. "Get it right this time around. Because this time is all you have."

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #3417685 - 11/27/04 09:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

How would this affect your outlook on life?

If I were convinced that the universe works this way, I'd be depressed at its deterministic nature and the realization that I don't exist and only think I do, which is a necessary consequence of determinism.

How would it shape your decisions?
I'd probably be more conservative lest I screw some minor but annoying aspect of my life up and be doomed to relive it for all eternity.

Would your spiritual life change much if you learned this to be true, tomorrow?

Yeah, I'd drop the bit of spiritualism I've begun to acquire as I've lived and learned since it would be rendered meaningless.

This K-Pax view of the world is very pessimistic.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3417707 - 11/27/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Funny, this concept reminds me of a concept my brain came up with while under the influence of psilocybin.

I had this strange visualization of each person's life being a loop in a sheet of chainmail... and their "progression through life" was like a little electrical charge moving through each of these little loops.. just going around the loop. Over and over, same thing.

Don't mind me, I'm vaporized.  :rasta:

OfflineMike_Ologist
4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamineconnoiseur
Re: A Quote From K-Pax [Re: Diploid]
    #3419189 - 11/28/04 12:21 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
If I were convinced that the universe works this way, I'd be depressed at its deterministic nature and the realization that I don't exist and only think I do, which is a necessary consequence of determinism.

You? Your soul? Your free will?

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
    #3419221 - 11/28/04 12:36 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
Ok, so any of you who have seen it might already know which quote I'm about to give. It's my favorite quote from the movie:

"I wanna tell you something Mark, something you do not yet know, that we K-PAXians have been around long enough to have discovered. The universe will expand, then it will collapse back on itself, then will expand again. It will repeat this process forever.

What you don't you know is that when the universe expands again, everything will be as it is now. Whatever mistakes you make this time around, you will live through on your next pass. Every mistake you make, you will live through again, & again, forever. So my advice to you is to get it right this time around. Because this time is all you have."
-- Kevin Spacey as "Prot", K-Pax

For the sake of argument, let us assume that this is true: the Universe expands and contracts repeatedly and each cycle is exactly the same as the last.

How would this affect your outlook on life? How would it shape your decisions? Would your spiritual life change much if you learned this to be true, tomorrow?

Aha, I think that's already true and it doesn't violate God because it's a paradox (God is a paradox in every sense from our perspective). If God or this process is Eternal, that means it never had a start and I've already been living forever anyways. I don't quite comprehend it, but I don't think I'm supposed to.

But it doens't change anything about my actions. I still treat this life like it's the last one I'll have.

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: A Quote From K-Pax [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3419229 - 11/28/04 12:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

JacquesCousteau said:
Funny, this concept reminds me of a concept my brain came up with while under the influence of psilocybin.

I had this strange visualization of each person's life being a loop in a sheet of chainmail... and their "progression through life" was like a little electrical charge moving through each of these little loops.. just going around the loop. Over and over, same thing.

Don't mind me, I'm vaporized.  :rasta:

You aren't that far off my friend.

Edited by EgoTripping (11/28/04 12:39 PM)

OfflineSiphersh
Self-proclaimedhuman
Loc: Hungary
    #3419856 - 11/28/04 04:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

:smile: I think it is not Hollywoodish in a bad way at all, and it has nothing to do with the cosmological theory. It's a very nice way of pointing out something very obvious, by revealing the illusion that may keep someone ignorant of it. Does it really make a difference if it's not true? If it's not true, we still only have this one life. How come that I feel it makes a difference then? The infantilizing effect of culture may make us ignorant to the very relevance of our own individual existence. Existence is relevant, and we are responsible for it.

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
    #3420393 - 11/28/04 07:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

it wouldnt effect me life at all, cuz it already has been realized :smile:

think about it.

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: A Quote From K-Pax [Re: EgoTripping]
    #3422076 - 11/29/04 02:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

EgoTrippin, what does that spiral represent to you?

Here's my theory on the nature of the universe:

Every possibility plays itself out in an uncountable number of parallel universi; Our perception is but the self-realisition of the one great being - one mind = one portion of the global conciousness we call human nature.

I dunno if that makes sense or not, but I'm baked so run with it :smile:

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: A Quote From K-Pax [Re: Siphersh]
    #3422147 - 11/29/04 02:56 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It's absolutely illogical. With every big bang, a random evolution starts. The key word is random.

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #3422469 - 11/29/04 09:29 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I think only part of it is true, because the actions you take now influence the future in your life and therefore the recombination of matter, because of that i think that if i were to live my life again, i have at least come to terms with some thigns that i would hope would not happen again. Regardless, if what you say is true, it might make me not care about what I really decided to do, maybe it would make me feel hopeles and decide to quit trying at anything... i dont know.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: A Quote From K-Pax [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3422903 - 11/29/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

> With every big bang, a random evolution starts.

Why?

Of course, this leads into an interesting quantum analogy... where every bang isn't a random evolution but rather one of an infinite (or finite?) number of possible states/outcomes, but rather than all occuring at the same time, the happen one after another.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: A Quote From K-Pax [Re: Seuss]
    #3422931 - 11/29/04 12:15 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

wow i love this post. this got me thinking.

"Would your spiritual life change much if you learned this to be true, tomorrpw"

my first response is hell yes. id drop all the bullshit and step things up a notch, i would drastically increase my efforts to savour every instant, to improve myself, to stay goal oriented, to travel, to live love and experience. to do things right.

but then i think, wait, if the universe collapsed and then respawned, that still wouldnt make the respawned me, "Me" sure hed be identical to me in every way, but it wouldnt be this conciousness (the one that is typing now) that would be there, it would be someone new, and so his life would not be my concern.

If i was to make my life better, i would do it for the present me, not future me's.

And thus i realize that this realization would be meaningless, because it only reafirms what i already know to be true. Each second is precious, and each experience should be savoured. Each choice should be made as wisely as possible.

Nothing changes.

Still a mindfuck though right?

i think i have a conciousness or soul that will endure past my physical death, and that soul or energy will either enter an entirely new state of existance, eternal dream, heaven, nirvana, etc or else it will infuse itself into a new physical form or body.

In either case i dont believe that it would go back into my same body and 'do the whole thing again'

hmmm

yeah that would fuck up the whole notion of time, and thus your life wouldnt really be 'repeating' at all... it would just happen... again and again, but only once...

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale