Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Saudi Columnist: "We Are the Problem and Not America"
    #3420051 - 11/28/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Saudi Columnist: "We Are the Problem and Not America"
By MEMRI
MEMRI.org | December 1, 2003

On November 30, 2003, Dr. Muhammad Talal Al-Rasheed, columnist for the English language daily The Saudi Gazette, wrote an article titled "Senseless Violence, Senseless Death." The article is in reaction to the murder of Saudi Prince Talal Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Rasheed of Hail by 'Islamists' in Algeria. The following are excerpts from the article: (1)
"...A few days back Prince Talal Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Rasheed of Hail was murdered in Algeria while on a camping trip. He was 40 years old and his son, Nawaf, 13 years old, was with him. At the time of this writing, we only know that the father was killed, while the son's condition is to be verified.

"It is easy to get on one's soap box and pontificate; to tell humanity that we suffer from terrorism, too. That is too easy, though; and perhaps too intellectually cowardly. Talal was a well-known poet in Saudi Arabia. He comes from a family that ruled Arabia long enough to be recorded in history. He was and will always be a beacon of Art, whatever that word means.

"Those who killed him are those who want the word silenced. The young man left it open whether he was with this or that, but he was adamant to tell all and sundry that to be is to talk and exchange. I grieve, I must admit, and am beyond reason because of the trauma of it all, but I do maintain a semblance of reason to see where all of this is leading.

"We have bred monsters. We alone are responsible for it. I have written as much before my personal tragedy and will continue to do so for as long as it takes. We are the problem and not America or the penguins of the North Pole or those who live in caves in Afghanistan. We are it, and those who cannot see this are the ones to blame.

"Castrated as we are, we look to America. Why? Because they went into Iraq and made a difference. Better or worse is another point. Once America has demonstrated its willingness to do something, the moral imperative is that it should not stop at the first station along the road. The majority of us are sick and tired of this carnage and President Bush, wrong on just about everything else, is right on this one. Does he have the (courage) to finish the job? I wonder.

"I don't think this will be published in the Arab News, as it should be. If not, I understand their point of view and their perpetual selectiveness. But one thing is sure, we are here to stay even if it takes giving our best to the madness of religion and the wrong of fanaticism. Nothing, but nothing, is worth the life of an innocent...may the Americans add Talal to their list of loved ones lost to the same indiscriminate madness that took 3,000 on a certain day in September."

Endnote:
(1) The Saudi Gazette, November 30, 2003.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=11069

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Saudi Columnist: "We Are the Problem and Not America" [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3422235 - 11/29/04 05:23 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

> We have bred monsters. We alone are responsible for it.

Wow, somebody gets it... though I don't agree that Saudi's are alone in the resonsibility... somebody had to feed the monsters, and I am afraid that was western civilization...  I wonder how long before this guy gets murdered by his own people... :frown:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Saudi Columnist: "We Are the Problem and Not America" [Re: Seuss]
    #3422256 - 11/29/04 06:08 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

somebody had to feed the monsters, and I am afraid that was western civilization 

:thumbup:

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3422539 - 11/29/04 09:59 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not so sure any of the actually threatening monsters have shown their faces yet..

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #3422613 - 11/29/04 10:28 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need moderate muslims to help us kill the fanatics... we cannot do it alone.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3422629 - 11/29/04 10:33 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

What exactly is this argument arguing? Who is the "we" that has "bred monsters"? Is this journalist really blaming a society, primarily composed of peace loving citizens, for a senseless act of violence committed by extremists?

This article flippantly disregards the profound strains and exterior forces that act upon the Saudi society, in a most ignorant and unsubstantiated way. Of course, the Saudi society is structured badly and that causes many problems. However, anyone who argues that American restructuring of the middle east is the best way to address this situation and ensure lasting peace is sadly misinformed and misguided. Clearly, despite this article's naiv? outlook, the radical elements that cause such misery in the middle east will only be exacerbated by American intrusion.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Saudi Columnist: "We Are the Problem and Not America" [Re: OJK]
    #3422667 - 11/29/04 10:51 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

> Who is the "we" that has "bred monsters"?

Back during the internet boom, everything was good.  Americans were rich and could afford to buy these huge gas guzzling SUVs.  Gas producing countries, like Saudi Arabia were also getting rich selling oil to the greedy Americans.  These countries were bringing in loads of money and basically giving it away to their people for free. When the internet boom went belly up, the Americans had to cut back on their spending.  This caused a trickle down effect, and all the sudden the gas producing countries could no longer afford to give their people money for free.  When these folks no longer got a free ride from their government, they got upset and started grumbling... loudly, with explosives and guns.  Their government, in a desperate act of self preservation, blamed the west for all of their problems which mainly boil down to lack of free money.  This strategy worked for a while, but then the Americans started to get pissed at the extremists coming across the oceans and bombing their buildings.  To keep the Americans from returning the favor, the (smart) middle-eastern governments formed "don't bomb us and we will help fight terrorism" policies with the US.  The extremists don't like this, so they end up turning on the various middle-eastern governments as well as the western culture.

So, in answer to your question, the "we" depends upon where you live.  The "bred monsters" are terrorists that used to be ignored by their respective governments.  Now those terrorists are attacking the same governments that once ignored them (or sponsored them).  The people feeding the monster are the media and the rest of us that watch/read/listen to the media, or more importantly, the commercials that sponsor the media.

> Is this journalist really blaming a society

I don't think so.  He is blaming his own complacent government for allowing the terrorists groups to form in the first place.  Ognoring them, or even supporting them in the beginning, they now have a huge problem on their hands which has nothing to do with the US or western culture.  (The US is very good at this... you are an ally if you fight our enemy type of crap.  Of course an ally today can easily be an enemy tomorrow.  Not a very good policy when trying to lead by example or gain respect.)

Of course, I could be wrong... :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3422697 - 11/29/04 11:02 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Who is the "we" that has "bred monsters"?

Back during the internet boom, everything was good.  Americans were rich and could afford to buy these huge gas guzzling SUVs.  Gas producing countries, like Saudi Arabia were also getting rich selling oil to the greedy Americans.  These countries were bringing in loads of money and basically giving it away to their people for free. When the internet boom went belly up, the Americans had to cut back on their spending.  This caused a trickle down effect, and all the sudden the gas producing countries could no longer afford to give their people money for free.  When these folks no longer got a free ride from their government, they got upset and started grumbling... loudly, with explosives and guns.  Their government, in a desperate act of self preservation, blamed the west for all of their problems which mainly boil down to lack of free money.  This strategy worked for a while, but then the Americans started to get pissed at the extremists coming across the oceans and bombing their buildings.  To keep the Americans from returning the favor, the (smart) middle-eastern governments formed "don't bomb us and we will help fight terrorism" policies with the US.  The extremists don't like this, so they end up turning on the various middle-eastern governments as well as the western culture.

So, in answer to your question, the "we" depends upon where you live.  The "bred monsters" are terrorists that used to be ignored by their respective governments.  Now those terrorists are attacking the same governments that once ignored them (or sponsored them).  The people feeding the monster are the media and the rest of us that watch/read/listen to the media, or more importantly, the commercials that sponsor the media.

> Is this journalist really blaming a society

I don't think so.  He is blaming his own complacent government for allowing the terrorists groups to form in the first place.  Ognoring them, or even supporting them in the beginning, they now have a huge problem on their hands which has nothing to do with the US or western culture.  (The US is very good at this... you are an ally if you fight our enemy type of crap.  Of course an ally today can easily be an enemy tomorrow.  Not a very good policy when trying to lead by example or gain respect.)

Of course, I could be wrong... :smile:

I broadly agree with what you say, in that it makes the much more sensible case that those to blame for the problems in the middle east are;

i) the governments of the middle east
ii) the governments of the West
iii) because the West is, as a rule, more typically democratic, the people of the West
iv) those extremists who use violence to further thier own political or ideological agenda

rather than the article which appeared to be absolving the West of blame and praising Bush on his foreign policy, which is not a logical extrapolation of the causes of extremism which you outlined.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Saudi Columnist: "We Are the Problem and Not America" [Re: OJK]
    #3422730 - 11/29/04 11:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

> which is not a logical extrapolation of the causes of extremism which you outlined

Ok, you got me there! I was just so happy to see somebody take responsibility for something rather than pointing the finger at somebody else for the blame that I kinda spaced out on everything else.

--------------------

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3422802 - 11/29/04 11:31 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, fair enough, it is important that the middle east acknowledges the sharing of blame, I agree with you, they need to accept a portion.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3423381 - 11/29/04 02:21 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

This guy is a cop out if he feels Muslims are responsible for the U.S. invasion of Iraq. :rolleyes:

There are Muslims I personally cannot stand. These types and Al Qaeda types.

--------------------

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: Saudi Columnist: "We Are the Problem and Not America" [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3424678 - 11/29/04 07:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Iraq has a majority Shiite population. They're infidels, remember? What about the Kurds? Are they infidels, too?

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

#3424688 - 11/29/04 07:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

"We have bred monsters. We alone are responsible for it. I have written as much before my personal tragedy and will continue to do so for as long as it takes. We are the problem and not America or the penguins of the North Pole or those who live in caves in Afghanistan. We are it, and those who cannot see this are the ones to blame.

"we" refers to the Saudis.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Saudi Columnist: "We Are the Problem and Not America" [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3426540 - 11/30/04 02:08 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Who said anything about Islam?

Maybe he meant Middle-easterners.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom