Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Modding out a old cool mist
    #3421547 - 11/29/04 12:58 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, so I got a old cool mist out of storage and am planning on putting it in a small Martha I am tossing together. It is a few years old and has gotten pretty dirty in storage. I have already torn it apart and am in the process of cleaning every inch of it with 10% bleach water. The filter in it is not only old but moldy due to what moister was still in it. The chances of finding this brand again especially since it has no name printed on it are slim to none. The bad filter in it is 5 1/2"x4"x2". Should I try and find a replacement cool mist filter that will fit, or come close to fitting and cut it, or is there a better type of filter that can be used in one of these? Due to the fact that the filter pretty much sits in a small pan of water and the size of the motor in it a good HEPA filter would not work. I have seen some people just cover the intake with tyvek, but I think it would have the same problem as far as airflow. This would either cause the motor to burn out or for it to not have enough air to mix with the water. This would not allow for a good air exchange and possibly to much moisture if running 24/7 like normal. Any ideas? I hate to go and buy a new one when I have this one laying around.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Modding out a old cool mist [Re: MadHatR]
    #3421879 - 11/29/04 02:39 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

putting it in the martha?

does the cool mist you got have a fan on it?

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Modding out a old cool mist [Re: fresh313]
    #3421987 - 11/29/04 03:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well porting it into a Martha, while I have it torn apart for cleaning I am going to cut out the output to remove the diffuser (or whatever you want to call the large slits that the air comes out of). I doubt that the slits actually do anything other than make it look better. I don't think they actually make the droplets any smaller since it is a mister. This way the output is just one large hole that I can easily port into the Martha using a funnel.

From what I have seen of the inner workings of misters I have taken apart they all have what you would call a fan in them. Inside it is pretty much just a shallow area that the water is poured into that is near a fan that pulls small amounts of water in and then ports it out of the front. In the back there is a filter that somewhat cleans the air that is being drawn over the water. It is not a fan like most people think of when you say fan. Just a motor going down to a cylinder with a large number of small blades coming out of it. This allows for a downward facing motor to pull air from one side and port it out to the other. This type of fan I'm sure is used mainly do to space and the amount of air that it can draw from such a small motor. If I hadn't been drinking tonight I could tell you exactly what type of fan that is, but my mind is drawing a blank right now and wont give me more information until I give it more 151. At one point I had looked into converting my HEPA filter into a very clean cool-mist and maybe even adding a ultra-sonic into it to (which creates humidity through vibrations) but it lacked the space and I lacked the money and time to fabricate a new case that would hold the Frankenstein of parts from other devices along with a timing circuit for the ultrasonic part.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Modding out a old cool mist [Re: MadHatR]
    #3422067 - 11/29/04 04:03 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ok, just checking cuase they make humidifiers labeled 'cool mist' but they are the evaporative type with the fan. The right cool mists use a vortex type effect to draw the water up, which is what you were getting at.

you shouldnt have any problem running it 24/7 it wont take the martha past ~90% RH. IF you can even get it that high, given you have ample air exchange.

Im not sure what type of filter would give enough flow to keep up, ive always used the stock filter. When it got clogged up id just take it off and put extra h2o2 in, never had a contam problem but id still reccomend using some type of filter device.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Modding out a old cool mist [Re: fresh313]
    #3422107 - 11/29/04 04:26 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yep, I normally just give mine a h2o2 bath, but this one has sat up to long and is way past the point of repair. I will probably end up buying one made for another brand and cutting it to fit, but was hoping that since I am having to replace it anyways that I could improve upon it to clean up the air a bit more before shooting it into the fruiting chamber.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation