Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Why do people FEAR the dark?
    #3421002 - 11/28/04 08:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

be it from your own experience or what you see and hear from others, where does a fear of the dark and darkness come from and WHY is the question?

I would like to put this puppy on the table and look at it and take it apart and see what its made of. Go with past fears and why ya had them, current ones, or ones you see in others. We can play with it all here put out in front of us and on the table.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNosferatuMan
Stranger
Re: Why do people FEAR the dark? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3421023 - 11/28/04 09:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Because you don't know whats around you, making you feel vulnerable to physical attacks.

Edited by NosferatuMan (11/28/04 09:02 PM)

InvisibleEvilEwok
Stranger
Re: Why do people FEAR the dark? [Re: NosferatuMan]
    #3421046 - 11/28/04 09:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'll admit sometimes the dark scares me. Especially while tripping.

--------------------
Now go Home.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #3421060 - 11/28/04 09:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I suppose your fear is proportional to what you can imagine is in the dark with you.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3421123 - 11/28/04 09:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Humans evolved out in the African savanna, where they were hunted by leopards, lions, and other large predators. Most of these animals did their hunting at night, when our homonid ancestors were usually asleep. They eventually learned how to harness the power of fire, which scared off most predators. But if a human ventured too far from the fire, they were in danger of being caught. Thus a fear of darkness developed, and became prominent through natural selection.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Why do people FEAR the dark? [Re: blink]
    #3421126 - 11/28/04 09:23 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The dark represents safety in being well hidden. The only predator I fear is my fellow man...the dark gives one an advantage over this creature.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #3421200 - 11/28/04 09:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Because we fear the unknown, and in the dark we don't know whats there....

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Why do people FEAR the dark? [Re: blink]
    #3421245 - 11/28/04 09:45 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blinkidiot said:
I suppose your fear is proportional to what you can imagine is in the dark with you.

Great insights all- this one highly evident in children who are strong vivid imaginators with the worlds in a blur until around age 7/8

What I find interesting is why it is human nature to so easily assume, something is out to get us and lurking in the dark waiting for a vulnerable moment.

WHAT is that something and WHY is it are questions I wish more people would ponder and contemplate.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Why do people FEAR the dark? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3421257 - 11/28/04 09:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

We double posted HUe,

Your reply was quite interesting. By being in the dark yourself, you feel safe being unseen. Very interesting for all to ponder on too.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Why do people FEAR the dark? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3421346 - 11/28/04 10:03 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Humans evolved out in the African savanna, where they were hunted by leopards, lions, and other large predators. Most of these animals did their hunting at night, when our homonid ancestors were usually asleep. They eventually learned how to harness the power of fire, which scared off most predators. But if a human ventured too far from the fire, they were in danger of being caught. Thus a fear of darkness developed, and became prominent through natural selection.

So, you are saying fear of the dark was first learned behavior and then became passed down through our genes as a survival tool.

Now take this an equate it to why people came up with something called evil and related darkness with it, whats that fear all about?

Did people just transfer this fear over to the idea of evil forces once they evolved beyond having animal predators to fear daily?

Whats the connection with that and a fear of evil dark forces that can anyone GUESS at for fun?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#3421367 - 11/28/04 10:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

With the lights out, it's less dangerous.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    #3421391 - 11/28/04 10:12 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Darkness obscures and hides. It's scary to your ego because you know that what lies beyond the darkness is that which you most fear: (ego) death. When you see through the veil of darkness, the ego dies, and you realize that beyond the darkness lies only light. But your egoic mind is afraid of it nonetheless.

InvisibleMovingTarget

Loc: temporary
Re: Why do people FEAR the dark? [Re: ninjapixie]
    #3421394 - 11/28/04 10:13 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I fear the dark, because darkness always places coffee tables in the way to catch my knee on.

Seriously though... I think its just fear of the unknown.... do you ever get scared in your bedroom at night? dont think so. Would you get scared in a forest at night time? quite possibly because there could be anything out there.

--------------------

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Re: Why do people FEAR the dark? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3421398 - 11/28/04 10:14 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:

Why are lions afraid of the light?

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Why do people FEAR the dark? [Re: ninjapixie]
    #3421401 - 11/28/04 10:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

if your sitting still and quiet indeed it is literally and metaphorically as in mind and heart. Once the imaginitation gets rolling in the wrong direction like blink mentioned and the heart starts pumping off that, it's another story. Your still just as safe, only in the dram in your imagination, your dead meat in waiting.

Now what happens when you get up to move in the dark? What happens to the danger levels then? You can trip over something, fall into a ditch, bang your head, and get noticed if you are clumbsy and make noise.

Then, you loose your safety net.

More food for analogisic thought. ( I think I just made up a word)

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Why do people FEAR the dark? [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3421415 - 11/28/04 10:18 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

the_phoenix said:
Darkness obscures and hides. It's scary to your ego because you know that what lies beyond the darkness is that which you most fear: (ego) death. When you see through the veil of darkness, the ego dies, and you realize that beyond the darkness lies only light. But your egoic mind is afraid of it nonetheless.

I never brought the ego into my considerations before like that. Interesting view.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

#3421442 - 11/28/04 10:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Moving through the darkness is tantamount to your ego's blindness. In this scary veiled world you just remain still, petrified, for change is bad; you cannot see into the distance and therefore cannot know where it is safe, and where it is perilous, to go. The only thing you *can* see is light.

(Everything works according to the same base principle and accordingly can be reduced to it, to a matter of conventionality [ego] and fundamentality [light, truth])

Edited by the_phoenix (11/28/04 10:26 PM)

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3421483 - 11/28/04 10:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

the_phoenix said:
Moving through the darkness is tantamount to your ego's blindness. In this scary veiled world you just remain still, petrified, for change is bad; you cannot see into the distance and therefore cannot know where it is safe, and where it is perilous, to go. The only thing you *can* see is light.

Take that and equate it with how in the what does darkness mean to you post, we postulated that the light and dark are the same, relative to things anyway.

Now what we have are things, represent by the color separated from the prism from the light. These things of light are in the absense of an external light source, "in the dark" together.

Pause on that for a moment reader.

Where does the external light source come from that allows us to see the color separations? Are there evil colors and no evil colors or in this case frequencies? What if all the colors are resonating with fear frequencies? What if all of the colors are resonating with "feeling safe" frequencies?

What if one made themselves resonate with every frequency, would they light up and become an external source to shine on the colors hiding in the absense of light?

(trippy thoughts about seeing in the "proverbial dark")

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

#3421518 - 11/28/04 10:45 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You cannot say that light and darkness are the same yet postulate their interactions in external vs. internal contexts. An absolutely fundamental perspective is necessary to understand that light and dark, like fundamentality and conventionality, are the same thing. The other elements of the situation must be understood in the same light, in this case, that internal and external mean the same thing. In this case there are no distinctions. Shifting from one perspective to another in the same thought is like shifting verb tenses in the same sentence--it's a fundamental error.

You can see the colours because they are fundamentally natured similar in amount as is your perspective. It is your reality. They and you are on the same frequency, if you like.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3421533 - 11/28/04 10:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I was running off connections made in my head already and ya, it didn't come out right. LOL

Okay, I went back and read what i wrote. I said they are the same relative to things- not the absense of light being the same as light.

Things all being made from the light spectrum.

I can clarify more if I need to. I may have also run into abstract territory we you arn't able to follow.

Maybe I should wind my way back to stuff everyone can relate to- a basic common fear of the dark, literal and proverbial. (I got carried away- he he)

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order