Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIrijes
Dankwoman
 User Gallery

Loc: Happy Trails
Oven Bag Pasteurization
    #3420946 - 11/28/04 10:46 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Can I pasteurize 50/50 mix in an oven bag? Can I pasteurize it in a bag on the stove at 170 for one hour? Will it work in the oven? Thanks.

--------------------
"Apparently there is a great discovery or insight which our culture is deliberately designed to supress, distort and ignore. That is that Nature is some kind of minded entity. That Nature is not simply the random flight of atoms through electromagnetic fields. Nature is not the empty, despiritualized lumpen matter that we inherit from modern physics. But it is instead a kind of intelligence, a kind of mind."

-Terence McKenna

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oven Bag Pasteurization [Re: Irijes]
    #3421036 - 11/28/04 11:02 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

if you get the water ratio right before you start, you should be able to do it either way

OfflineIrijes
Dankwoman
 User Gallery

Loc: Happy Trails
Re: Oven Bag Pasteurization [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3421158 - 11/28/04 11:29 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Thank you.

--------------------
"Apparently there is a great discovery or insight which our culture is deliberately designed to supress, distort and ignore. That is that Nature is some kind of minded entity. That Nature is not simply the random flight of atoms through electromagnetic fields. Nature is not the empty, despiritualized lumpen matter that we inherit from modern physics. But it is instead a kind of intelligence, a kind of mind."

-Terence McKenna

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Oven Bag Pasteurization [Re: Irijes]
    #3421567 - 11/29/04 01:03 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Re: Oven Bag Pasteurization [Re: MadHatR]
    #3421741 - 11/29/04 01:50 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Almost like the link above, I do several smaller bags (4-5 cups) at a time, flattened out to an inch or 2 thick on pans over all 3 racks. It heats through quickly so I just heat it on 170?F for an hour or two, then turn the oven off and leave it overnight to finish and cool. I store the smaller bags in trash bags while resting, to keep them cleaner.

I leave the bags sealed for a week or two before using for the "good" creatures to recolonize fully, without letting more of the "bad" in. The R&R also allows the good bacteria to rebalance the nitrogen compounds so there isn't free ammonia in the mix- but that's not really an issue with peat/coir/vermiculite/perlite; more for things like manure and real soil. It's like starting the last stage of composting over again. Shaggy manes like the fresher stuff with al little ammonia though... Sorry I got away from the actual topic. Once you get to understand the good bacteria they are your friends, even indoors.

This is somewhat standard procedure when pasteurizing home made potting soils to prevent mold growth, and I like having little bags all ready to go when I want them. It also avoids exposing the rest if I only want a small amount of casing, like testing all the little strains of those shaggy manes I'm doing from spores.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Oven Bag Pasteurization [Re: Gyromitra]
    #3422057 - 11/29/04 03:55 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Well for fresh poo I do the whole washing then drying method to remove as much ammonia as possible. The reason I like the large bags is so I can have a thermometer in there and be assured, mainly just to verify the temperature amounts that I know in theory it should be at holds true. I also prefer smaller bags so I start off with one much bigger than I need and when it is done I flatten it out, leaving empty space where I want the bags to start and stop and use a sealer on it. Then I just cut the bag into smaller pre-made sealed bags that are good to go at any time. I do the same with casing material, but I PC it with a coke bottle tyvek or poly-fill top, then seal after the PCing or vacuseal if I don't think I will use it for awhile.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation