Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Coprinus: myc. discoloration
    #3420416 - 11/28/04 09:13 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Ater tossing some jars, I finally figured out... Believe it or not these are not contaminated.

Shown on rye, WBS, and cracked corn. You should have seen the CC before I shook it- wish I had taken a picture. Bright yellow corn with big black blotches- ugly as sin. All those black chunks were arranged in 6-8 black patches with white mycelium growing around the edges. I was sure that I was growing mold, wouldn't you think so? Now you can see the white myc. recoving on the grains after shaking.

Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't seen anyone writing about blackening mycelium in Coprinus, so I wasn't expecting it at all.

The thing that caught me was that when I dumped the jars, they smelled very sweet and grainy- just like it should. No musty moldy smell.

Finally I looked at the stuff closely with a loupe. I could see that there weren't any fuzzy sporing mold parts. The dark color was actually the grains discoloring, and all the surface growth over it was still white mycelium.

It looks like, at least with this strain under these conditions, some of the blackening that happens to mature fruits also happens in the mycelium. More exactly, it looks like the mycelium stains the substrate black. It's most obvious on the corn, and happens least (only a little) on rye, with WBS in the middle and more greyish.

A couple jars in the batch really did comtaminate, but those both smelled bad, and showed other colors of mold, mostly blue/green. These remaining ones are growing well.

Aside from these clones I also inoculated some grain cat litter (seems to be made of sawdust and grain waste, pelletized) with the spore liquid. Not expecting much, since the cap was already deliquescing when I collected it. But, there's no mold in that, and it's completely colonized now. I'm planning to clone a few of the first/best fruits from that multispore for an indoor strain, and plant the rest outside.

I found this one fruiting in compacted gravel at the side of a road, near the Oregon Zoo in Portland, on a visit there on Halloween. The Zoo was right on the other side of a fence from it. The mushroom was toppled and mostly smashed, so I'm amazed I got anything from it at all. Took a lot of pieces to get one growing, which I finally did on soaked peroxidated cardboard. the only pieces that grew myc. were the hard, dark colored basal pieces.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRRhoads
chemistry student
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: cahleeforneeah
Re: Coprinus: myc. discoloration [Re: Gyromitra]
    #3420904 - 11/28/04 10:40 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

That's really wierd
good luck with it though :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinedmc_
 Arcade Champion: Madness

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Coprinus: myc. discoloration [Re: RRhoads]
    #3421030 - 11/28/04 11:02 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Those damn mushrooms. Dont ever touch a mature deliquescencing fruit body. That shit is darker than black ink and a bitch to get off your hands after it dries. =)

I guess I deserve it after devouring their cousins, brothers, sisters for the last 10 years.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3423342 - 11/29/04 04:16 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Really strange. I have never seen that on my cultures ...
Maybe it depend on the strain and on the environment conditions it is kept ... ?

OfflinePsychotropics
TiHKALmyPiHKAL
Re: Coprinus: myc. discoloration [Re: ragadinks]
    #3425649 - 11/30/04 12:28 AM (12 years, 9 days ago)

DMC ~ it can be used as ink as well ~ ^__^ ~ quite intresting ~ dont eat edible Coprinus with Alcohol three days prior and subsquent to injestion

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Re: Coprinus: myc. discoloration [Re: Psychotropics]
    #3430001 - 11/30/04 11:18 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

This is C. comatus, not C. atramentarius- no coprine, so having wine with it will be fine... and I intend to! :wink:

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

#3430040 - 11/30/04 11:24 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Maybe it depend on the strain and on the environment conditions it is kept ... ?

Yes, that's what I think. Wild-collected, untested strain; and grown cooler than many would indoors on grain. It's not incubated, just in an open 65? to 75?F room, sometimes down to 60? lately. I'm growing everything without incubators, on purpose. Most things don't seem to mind at all. But this sho' is uugly.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms