Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKingBahamut
visiting goon

Slow colonization--Adjustments?
    #3420142 - 11/28/04 08:12 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well, here I am on my first grow and I'm finally starting to run into problems. I have six pint jars prepared with Magash's rye tek that I inoculated on Monday (6 days ago), and checked them for the first time today. Four of the jars show decent growth, and two show nothing. However, on all of the jars with visible growth, it starts at one point on the side, then goes straight down to the bottom where the bottom ring is pretty well colonized (which makes me happy, because that rye got mushy in the PC and I was worried). Thankfully, there is no evidence of contams, by smell or inspection, in any of the jars.

I know I might be jumping the gun, but I think this indicates that temps are too low in my TnT, as the majority of visible growth is where the jar contacts with the floor of the inner tub. I also think that the heating is uneven in there, as indicated by the two uncontammed jars with no visible growth. My setup is two 10 gallon rubbermaids stacked with spacers and a 50 watt aquarium heater inside. When I seal them up I put a decent amount of weight (my 18 gal PMP and the rest of my supplies, to be exact) on top of the whole thing to get the water level up the sides.

When I checked them today I gave every jar a little shake, and then laid them on their sides with the already-colonized parts up to maximize the surface area close to the water. I also took a spare coat and covered them in there, where previously they were just freestanding in the inner tub with a lot of free space. Do you guys think this should help speed things up? Is it safe to leave them on their sides in there? I'm also going to ziptie the tubs together soon so I can work on my PMP and hopefully keep the bottom tub even in there (the weight on the top gets it down, but kind of tilted).

Sorry for the long post, but this is my first grow and I'm trying to do everything right. Thanks you guys  :cool:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKingBahamut
visiting goon

Re: Slow colonization--Adjustments? [Re: KingBahamut]
    #3421248 - 11/28/04 11:45 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Bump, if only for the question about whether it's safe to keep a jar on its side

OfflineNoodleSalad
umm...yeah

#3421276 - 11/28/04 11:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Turning them on there side is fine. You should buy a thermometer, because they are not very expensive and you will be able to get the perfect temps.

--------------------
life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liqour store, 40 oz to
Freedom,
so I'll take that walk.
And I know that ohhhh...I'm not comin back

OfflineKingBahamut
visiting goon

Re: Slow colonization--Adjustments? [Re: NoodleSalad]
    #3421434 - 11/29/04 12:22 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, the only thing is that I'm worried that my heater, maxed out, can't hit 85. That's gonna be a pain in the ass to mod up if I need another

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3421896 - 11/29/04 02:53 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

actually no, it won't.

get a thermometer and check out your temps.

if it's still too cold, wash a blanket and cover it with that, it'll hold some more heat in and warm things up. it's worked for me for a few weeks now (winter-ish weather sucks). :smile:

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation