Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Thinking about becoming vegetarian....
    #3420044 - 11/28/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I used to be a veggie and recently i've been thinking about becoming one again. The only bad thing is I really enjoy some meat products i.e. steak, bacon etc.

Any of you guys a vegetarian?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
Re: Thinking about becoming vegetarian.... [Re: Thin White Duke]
    #3420060 - 11/28/04 05:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Why be a vegetarian?

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
    #3420084 - 11/28/04 05:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Nope, I was for about a month, but to no avail. I like meat too much.

What are your reasons for becoming a vegetarian? Do you want to lead a more healthy lifestyle, are you worried about animal rights, or are you just trying to jump on the bandwagon?

If your looking to be more healthy, just cut down on your meat consumption. There is such thing as moderation without going straight for the extremes. If your concerned with the treatment of animals, then you need to really figure out what is more important to you. If your just trying to be trendy than stop right now and eat a steak cause that's the most ridiculous reason to make a change in your life.

If you are going to become a vegetarian, for whatever reason, be sure to research nutricious alternatives. Ive seen to many people not getting enough nutrition due to ignorance. Good luck and bonn appetite :smile:

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #3420091 - 11/28/04 06:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm thinking about eating some venison I took and butchered with my own hands.

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Re: Thinking about becoming vegetarian.... [Re: Adom]
    #3420113 - 11/28/04 06:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

dear jerkey is k3y. I want to go hunting sometime soon. I've never been, but I think I'd enjoy it. At least that way I know all of the animal will be used and that it had a good life before becoming dinner, rather than living its entire life in a cage.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
mantis said:
Hattori Hanzo said:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Thinking about becoming vegetarian.... [Re: beejay]
    #3420131 - 11/28/04 06:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yep, moderation is key. I've tried to become vegetarian several times now without success. HOWEVER, I have lowered my meat intake and cut beef totally out of my diet. I now eat a healthy portion of chicken or turkey with every meal and balance this out with some tasty vegees.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #3420238 - 11/28/04 06:37 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Weapons of Choice

Up top is a 55lb Martin X-200 recurve with 3 different tipped arrows, the top one is a field/target tip, the second one is for stump shooting/small game, and the large razor sharp one is for big game animals. 

The second one is a Golden Eagle Carbon Hawk set at 55lbs with a 29 inch draw and way to much high tech garbage to list  :nut:

I prefer my recurve in most cases but I don't want to wound animals(still happens) so I use my compound for big game.

Edited by Adom (11/28/04 06:44 PM)

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Thinking about becoming vegetarian.... [Re: MOTH]
    #3420256 - 11/28/04 06:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i was vegetarian from birth until about age 12... then i ate meat until i was 16 or so, and then stopped eating meat again. the only time i eat meat now is if i am camping, i might catch a fish and eat it. honestly, i don't have any "taste" for meat - it all kind-of disgusts me. my main reason for returning to vegetarianism wasn't because i think eating meat is wrong, but because i think the current mode of production of meat is wrong (ie corporate farming, the use of hormones, the complete lack of any humane element, "growing" animals for profit, etc). I don't see anything particularly wrong with free-range meat or hunted meat - other than the fact that it is not energy-efficient at all (the amount of resources/energy/land that must be used to feed those cows could instead be used to raise soy, chickpeas, whatever at a fraction of the energy expenditure). My biggest piece of advice to you is make sure you do some research into healthy vegetarian cooking/cuisine and make sure you eat a balanced meal. Eating vegetarian doesn't mean you have to take tons of dietary supliments, and doesn't mean you have to suffer protein deficiencies. Best of luck to ya! :rasta:

--------------------

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

#3420259 - 11/28/04 06:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

there are a lot of products out there, that actually taste like meat like vegan burgers and stuff. if you have opportunity to get these products, its really not that hard, once you have decided the issue in your head.

stop consuming animals.

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

#3420275 - 11/28/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hey Adom how much does a compound like that cost? I had one when I was younger, but nothing like that. When you say big game, does that include dear, as thats what Id be after? Of course I'll be going out with someone that knows what their doing. How long have you been bow hunting and how long did it take you to become proficient with em?

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Re: Thinking about becoming vegetarian.... [Re: BanJankri]
    #3420279 - 11/28/04 06:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Garden burgers are the single stupidest idea I've ever heard.

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

#3420286 - 11/28/04 06:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Salad is a good side dish, to a large beefy steak covered in BBQ sauce though.

--------------------

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

#3420290 - 11/28/04 06:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

BanJankri said:
there are a lot of products out there, that actually taste like meat like vegan burgers and stuff. if you have opportunity to get these products, its really not that hard, once you have decided the issue in your head.

stop consuming animals.

yeah even I like the meat alternatives. They are tasty and easy to whip up in a jiffy. Why stop consuming animals? There are plenty of species that need population control anyway. Its either hunt the excess or let them starve to death... at least in many areas.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #3420292 - 11/28/04 06:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I was for over half a year. Then I realised that I don't REALLY care. It was awesome eating meat again, mmmm.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #3420296 - 11/28/04 06:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have about 500$ wrapped up into that compound bow but I bought when I was in highschool 6 years ago. You could find a solid used bow for 300-400, I would say if you spend an hour daily for a couple weeks you could probably be hitting dimes at 40 yards. Compounds are pretty easy, you just have to keep your breathing in check and have a consistant anchor point.
I started bow hunting at 14 and I'm 23.

Yes I hunt deer, usually from a tree in a funnel near a feeding area.

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

#3420302 - 11/28/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Right on... do you know when bow season starts in Illinois by any chance? I imagine that usually the dear doesnt die right away, so how do you put em down after the hit? Sorry to all the vegiterians for my off topic questioning, but Im really interested.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #3420319 - 11/28/04 06:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You're right, look what happens when populations get out of check and mother nature uses her ways to cure the problem
That is a coyote shot in Nebraska, he could barely walk and had the worst case of mange I've ever seen. This is largely due to over population, the hunter who took this animal did it a big favor, starving/freezing to death would of been much worse for him in my own opinion.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #3420358 - 11/28/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

A good shot to the heart and/or lungs will drop a deer from 20-100 yards, usually the animals don't have any clue, some bows are so silent and fast the deer don't even get startled they will continue grazing/walking/whatever untill they drop dead. Most modern bows will send the arrow right on through the animal. Usually you shoot and wait 30-60 minutes walk down to where you shot the animal or last saw him and follow the blood untill you find the body.

I'm not sure how your states regulations work, Iowas season is from Oct. 1st-Dec. 3rd dec. 20-jan.10. They kick the bowhunters out of the woods while the gun hunters are out there. I think your state has all kinds of zones and you have to apply for permits, here I can just go to a gas station and get a deer tag.

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

#3420367 - 11/28/04 07:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for taking the time to answer my questions my man. I apreciate it greatly.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #3420388 - 11/28/04 07:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You are welcome my friend, I love talking about this stuff.

You can't be to far from me if you are in Illinois, you should let me know if you ever get that bow, I could teach you a few things.

I am in the process of building a raised plat form target range, I enjoy archery more than hunting myself, I love shooting the things. Stump shooting is one of my favorite past times, you just walk around the woods shooting sticks and stumps with a blunt tipped arrow, this teaches you to judge distances and make quick decisions.

If you buy one make sure to go to the archery shop and talk to them about tuning, if they have an indoor range they can help you, it is very important to get good arrow flight.

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

#3420406 - 11/28/04 07:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah I'll probably hit you up before I go and make any purchases. I would definately be down to hook up some time. You gonna be goin to the NE gathering in the spring?

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

#3420411 - 11/28/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Adom said:

:hellfire:

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #3420431 - 11/28/04 07:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've been thinking about it, it really depends how I'm set financially at the time.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#3420516 - 11/28/04 07:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

but adom, do you agree that we wouldn't need to "monitor" animal populations if we hadn't already decimated their natural levels? for example - i agree that if people don't hunt deer, many many deer will die of starvation. but if we wouldn't have killed off all the wolves/bear/etc - we wouldn't have this problem to begin with. mother nature was able to naturally monitor animal levels by maintaining certain predator/prey cycles... unfortunately we've screwed up those cycles, perhaps beyond repair... :sad:

--------------------

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

#3420542 - 11/28/04 07:36 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I am against the idea of hunting animals for hobbies. if you were left in nature, with you having no other possibilities, then hunting for survival is ok. but why would you choose to kill a living being when you have so many other possibilities. meat tastes good? so what? is this a valid reason for killing a living being? I eat food for survival and thats the basic idea of what food is for a human being.

population control? we need population control for humans. so are you suggesting what I think you are beejay? at a time, there was a natural balance between humans and animals. with all the mass murder going on, and a lot of species being gone, this isnt what I would call the natural cycle. people are not hunting the excesses. do you think people go killing animals with the idea I am restoring the natural balance? open your eyes and come up with better justifications.

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

#3420553 - 11/28/04 07:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

its just the stupid human thought that they are somehow above nature and therefore possess the right to monitor what goes on. do you realise what this has led us to?

--------------------

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#3420562 - 11/28/04 07:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Go veggie. There's no guilt or shame in mother nature killing animals, that's natural. But genetically modifying and butchering helpless animals and treating them as if they have no emotions/feelings is awful. Most rednecks are just like "Yippur! I done shot that deer straight dead, blew that fuckers head off!" or "I don't give a shit about animals, God put'em here for me to eat, yippur!". And it's really embarassing, because they seem extremely ignorant. That's a lot of Americans, and I'm sure some smart ass is gonna reply like "Damn straight. I love me some dead murdered cow." or something equally ignorant. But I'm not posting to start a flame thread, which this is clearly going to become. I'm just thinking out loud. And I was just thinking most hunters I talk to always say "Aw nah those animals don't feel nothin' when you shoot'em", but, how is this? How do they know? I don't know about where you're from but all the hunters around here aren't exactly rocket scientists. And I'm willing to bet their wealth of information comes from equally intelligent people, rather than say a book. I'm not hating on whoever made the post about hunting and whatnot, I'm just making statements that I'm sure even you can agree with. That's my rant. Peace.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Re: Thinking about becoming vegetarian.... [Re: ImOver18]
    #3420602 - 11/28/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

well, i don't personally know Adom, but i think i'm safe vouching for him in this instance. not all hunters are drunk rednecks who just like to kill animals - some of them hunt because they believe that is a more natural means to getting meat, a more humane way than the way meat is produced in factory farms, etc... i have never hunted in my life, and am quite sure that i never will - but I just wanted to say that generalizations are always risky

--------------------

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Re: Thinking about becoming vegetarian.... [Re: Krishna]
    #3420697 - 11/28/04 08:05 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hey 18 Im not the type to start a flame war over someones opinions. So far both yours and Banjankris are very valid points of view.

Banjankari
Im not suggesting hunting for hobby, which you are against. I am considering hunting as a means of getting meat without contributing to the commercial farming. If I were to begin hunting, I would not stuff dear heads or mount antlers. I would however use as much of the animal as possible.

As far as the human population problem, I am very uncertain as to what should be done. Every idea I've come up with has sounded like some crazy Nazi shit and being of Jewish heratage I am no Nazi. I believe that we are over-running the planet and that sucks, but I dont claim to have solutions for this problem.

Krishna
Your right if we didnt fuck it up in the first place, such measures would be hard to justify. Unfortunately whats happened is hard to reverse. The reintroduction of species is one solution, but its a difficult task to acomplish.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
mantis said:
Hattori Hanzo said:

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#3420738 - 11/28/04 08:12 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

dude that monkey freaks me out :smile:

"he didn't used to be evil... 'hey honey i'm home.... OOOOHHHH OOOOHHH AAHHH AHHHHH!'"  :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Re: Thinking about becoming vegetarian.... [Re: ImOver18]
    #3420885 - 11/28/04 08:36 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I believe tree=rabbit=human=fly.

I don't subscribe to the belief that animal life is somehow greater than plant life so you points are invalid in my thinking. You shouldn't assume we all think alike. None of you have any clue about any of the reasons I hunt, what thoughts go through my head or the decisions that go into taking a life.

Do I think the animals feel pain and suffer? Yes and so do I when taking them that is why I go take a knee at the site they last stood.

We've always been a part of the food chain, even when couldn't speak, no one said anything about being above nature, we are a part of it.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #3420908 - 11/28/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

When you holier-than-thou vegans realise the grass feels the same pain as animal maybe you will really see the sacred one-ness that connects all.

The spirit-that-moves-through-all-things is in our hearts, the trees, the cottonwoods and the deer .......

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck