Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineboomer1
tree hugger
Loc: somewhere in oregon
my first yield!
    #3419010 - 11/28/04 12:33 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

I want to preface this discussion with a big thanks to everyone on this board who helped me out with my first grow. I was nervous as hell that these things wouldn't work right and there was always somebody here to give me advice...I really appreciate it.

Now this is my question: when I started, I was overwhelmed by everyone's different techniques, everyone talking about how you should use heating devices, temp. gages, humidity measures, expensive terrariums, and so on. In the end, I didn't do anything high-tech here. I had a bfr mixture-(sterilized it by boiling)-that I threw in a rubbermade container with perilite on the bottom to absorb water. I stuck that beneath a window for a light source. about as low-tech as you can get from what I've read. With my first flush, I was very careful, misting every day, making sure it got just the right amount of light, keeping the temp steady, etc etc etc. And I got a good yield, I was very happy with it. Then my family came into town for thanksgiving and stayed with us, so I had to move the tub into the basement where nobody would see it. I was happy with the first yeild, so I just forgot about it and decided that whatever happens with it happens. The basement is dark...the cakes only got maybe 5-6 hours of dim light a day through a small window, it is way too cold from what I've read, and I didn't mist it once all week. today I went down to check on them and the cake was INFESTED with shrooms! i'm talking everywhere, healthy large guys that blew my mind. i couldn't believe the volume and size...it blew my first flush away. So what I'm getting at, is are we making this whole process way too complicated for newbies? even the teks, for the most part, stress perfection and getting the most expensive gear available. from what I can tell, if you don't get any contamination from the get-go, you should be able to get something out of it, even if you ignore the thing.

--------------------
adopt the philosophy of nature...her secret is patience

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

Re: my first yield! [Re: boomer1]
    #3419022 - 11/28/04 12:43 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

I think the PF tek does not stress perfection, or expensive gear. It does stress sterility when preparing the jars and when innoculating them, but it was designed to give newbies an easy way to succeed without having to have all kinds of equipment, and very little mycological knowledge. It is supposed to be simple and easy to follow. Some other more advanced teks do stress better equipment, and a little more knowledge and experience. It is like that on purpose. You do simple tasks at first and then move on to more technical and demanding ones. Simplicity can yield good results, but with better equipment, experience, and more advanced techniques, your results can be astounding.

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

Offlineboomer1
tree hugger
Loc: somewhere in oregon
Re: my first yield! [Re: Lifenergy]
    #3419037 - 11/28/04 12:52 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

I think the post below by us3fu1idi0t further illustrates my point. all of the questions that were raised about his techniques can really intimidate somebody into thinking there is only one right way to do this. I know that after my first day reading posts on here, I was very close to spending over $100 to get this done, when I ended up spending less than 30.

--------------------
adopt the philosophy of nature...her secret is patience

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation