Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Allende and Pinochet
    #3417212 - 11/27/04 09:18 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Allende and Pinochet

One of the favorite accusations of America bashers is the myth that the USA was somehow involved in the overthrow of Allende by Pinochet. Here is a October 29, 1973 article from Time Magazine on this subject. The USA isn't implicated in any way.

http://www.geocities.com/milkmandan2003/Chile1.html

http://www.geocities.com/milkmandan2003/Chile2.html

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Allende and Pinochet [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3417301 - 11/27/04 09:47 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Here's an article from September 19th, 2000 where the CIA finally admitted involvement in the affair.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/americas/09/19/us.cia.chile.ap/

It took some time, but they finally admitted it.

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #3417348 - 11/27/04 09:59 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

owned

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3417650 - 11/27/04 11:43 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

:lol:

Personal computer: $1000
Connection to the internet: $30/month
Time spent searching for articles to prove your point: $wasted

Finally settling on a 31 year old out of date article: PRICELESS

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Allende and Pinochet [Re: Krishna]
    #3418636 - 11/28/04 07:34 AM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Nice work Krishna.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3419463 - 11/28/04 04:11 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

haha
go away you fucking puppet.

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: Allende and Pinochet [Re: Vvellum]
    #3419552 - 11/28/04 04:46 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
haha
go away you fucking puppet.

Moderator, I've been flamed by BiO. These are against the rules of this forum. Just for that, bio, I will do a lot more of what you don't like.

Edited by Great_Satan (11/28/04 04:54 PM)

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#3419558 - 11/28/04 04:49 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Great_Satan can you at least admit that you were wrong about this? I believe that any Chilean posters on this board would be deserving of that...

--------------------

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

#3419564 - 11/28/04 04:53 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

The CIA didn't do it:

Quote:

The CIA admits prior knowledge of the plot that overthrew Allende three years later but denies any direct involvement.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/americas/09/19/us.cia.chile.ap/

Edited by Great_Satan (11/28/04 04:53 PM)

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: Allende and Pinochet [Re: Krishna]
    #3419571 - 11/28/04 04:56 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
Great_Satan can you at least admit that you were wrong about this? I believe that any Chilean posters on this board would be deserving of that...

You people have proven time and again how much you hate my country. I will support it no matter what. I'll only vote for right wing candidates and work hard to help my country achieve world domination.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#3419614 - 11/28/04 05:15 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

OK - so let's lay out the facts.

Quote:

The major CIA effort against Allende came earlier in 1970 in the failed attempt to block his election and accession to the Presidency.

Quote:

In April 1962, the "5412 Panel Special Group" - a sub-cabinet body charged with reviewing proposed covert actions - approved a proposal to carry out a program of covert financial assistance to the Christian Democratic Party (PDC) to support the 1964 Presidential candidacy of Eduardo Frei.

Also in 1962, the CIA began supporting a civic action group that undertook various propaganda activities, including distributing posters and leaflets.

In December 1963, the 5412 Group agreed to provide a one-time payment to the Democratic Front, a coalition of three moderate to conservative parties, in support of the Front's Presidential campaign.

In April 1964, the 5412 Group approved a propaganda and political action program for the upcoming September 1964 Presidential election.

In May 1964, following the dissolution of the Democratic Front, the "303 Committee," successor to the 5412 Group, agreed to give the Radical Party additional covert assistance.

In February 1965, the 303 Committee approved a proposal to give covert assistance to selected candidates in upcoming Congressional elections.

In 1967, the CIA set up a propaganda mechanism for making placements in radio and news media.

In July 1968, the 303 Committee approved a political action program to support individual moderate candidates running in the 1969 Congressional elections.

As a result of 1968 propaganda activities, in 1969 the "40 Committee" (successor to the 303 Committee) approved the establishment of a propaganda workshop.

In the runup to the 1970 Presidential elections, the 40 Committee directed CIA to carry out "spoiling operations" to prevent an Allende victory.

As part of a "Track I" strategy to block Allende from taking office after the 4 September election, CIA sought to influence a Congressional run-off vote required by the Constitution because Allende did not win an absolute majority.

As part of a "Track II" strategy, CIA was directed to seek to instigate a coup to prevent Allende from taking office (see discussion below).

While Allende was in office, the 40 Committee approved the redirection of "Track I" operations that "combined with a renewed effort to support the PDC in 1971 and a project to provide support to the National Party and Democratic Radical Party in 1972" funneled millions of dollars to strengthen opposition political parties. CIA also provided assistance to militant right-wing groups to undermine the President and create a tense environment.

Support for the coup attempt in 1970
Quote:

Under "Track II" of the strategy, CIA sought to instigate a coup to prevent Allende from taking office after he won a plurality in the 4 September election and before, as Constitutionally required because he did not win an absolute majority, the Chilean Congress reaffirmed his victory. CIA was working with three different groups of plotters. All three groups made it clear that any coup would require the kidnapping of Army Commander Rene Schneider, who felt deeply that the Constitution required that the Army allow Allende to assume power. CIA agreed with that assessment. Although CIA provided weapons to one of the groups, we have found no information that the plotters' or CIA's intention was for the general to be killed. Contact with one group of plotters was dropped early on because of its extremist tendencies. CIA provided tear gas, submachine-guns and ammunition to the second group. The third group attempted to kidnap Schneider, mortally wounding him in the attack. CIA had previously encouraged this group to launch a coup but withdrew support four days before the attack because, in CIA's assessment, the group could not carry it out successfully.

Awareness of the Coup of 1973
Quote:

Although CIA did not instigate the coup that ended Allende's government on 11 September 1973, it was aware of coup-plotting by the military, had ongoing intelligence collection relationships with some plotters, and - because CIA did not discourage the takeover and had sought to instigate a coup in 1970 - probably appeared to condone it.

Knowledge of Human Rights Violations
Quote:

CIA officers were aware of and reported to analysts and policymakers in 1973 that General Pinochet and the forces that overthrew the Allende Government were conducting a severe campaign against leftists and perceived political enemies in the early months after the coup.

Propaganda in Support of Pinochet
Quote:

After the coup in September 1973, CIA suspended new covert action funding but continued some ongoing propaganda projects, including support for news media committed to creating a positive image for the military Junta. Chilean individuals who had collaborated with the CIA but were not acting at CIA direction assisted in the preparation of the "White Book," a document intended to justify overthrowing Allende. It contained an allegation that leftists had a secret "Plan Z" to murder the high command in the months before the coup, which CIA believed was probably disinformation by the Junta.

So, you are correct - the CIA did not personally send troops to overthrow Allende. They did, however, give lots of money and direct support in the years from the last 1960s until the foiled attempt in 1970. They continued to support internal factions that were against Allende - factions that eventually overthrew his democratically elected government. They then continued to support the regime of Pinochet, even though CIA sources indicate that they had at least some knowledge of his violation of human rights. The facts speak for themselves, in my opinion. Feel free to claim the US is not responsible on the technicality that the sucessful coup attempt was an idea formulated by a Chilean group, and not by the United States. However, that group could never have functioned as they did without the unconditional support of the United States, without the over 5 years of propaganda, contra-funding, disinformation, paid kidnappings, etc etc etc that the CIA was involved in.

All the quotes are from: http://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/chile/

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#3419639 - 11/28/04 05:21 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Great_Satan said:
Quote:

Krishna said:

You people have proven time and again how much you hate my country. I will support it no matter what. I'll only vote for right wing candidates and work hard to help my country achieve world domination.

Well, it's my country too - and I certainly don't hate it. We are never going to achieve world-domination - it's sad that so many people are going to have to die/starve/be oppressed for this wet dream. And in response to your reactive idea of "vote for the right wing to shut up these america-haters", i suggest you read "On The Genealogy of Morality" by Nietzsche for an interesting discussion on "reactive" morality.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #3420168 - 11/28/04 08:18 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Moderator, I've been flamed by BiO. These are against the rules of this forum. Just for that, bio, I will do a lot more of what you don't like.

Sorry...what part would you consider a flame?
The puppet part?...
I have my suspicions as well, since I can't imagine anyone sincerely having the same thought process as you.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Edited by Rono (11/28/04 08:18 PM)

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: Allende and Pinochet [Re: Rono]
    #3421038 - 11/28/04 11:03 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #3422468 - 11/29/04 11:29 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

hilarious!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3422701 - 11/29/04 01:03 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Just for that, bio, I will do a lot more of what you don't like.

oh no! :lol:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion