Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecarrotjuice
Stranger
When do mushrooms change from mature to dangerous?
    #3415573 - 11/27/04 11:16 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've had people tell me that cyans (mushrooms in general, really) picked when fully mature and on the edge of decomposition (a few light black dots and such) is dangerous and risks food poisoning. Is this true? When is a mushroom too mature? Many of those posted in the 04 cyan hunting thread seem quite mature. Also, it would seem that the preserving process (drying, freezing, etc) would destroy any pathogens. Advice is appreciated as I just harvested a number of mature cyans.

Edited by carrotjuice (11/27/04 12:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: When do mushrooms change from mature to dangerous? [Re: carrotjuice]
    #3415646 - 11/27/04 11:43 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Freezing and drying do not kill bacterial pathogens which cause a mushroom to rot. You would have to boil them in order to sterilize them and this would destroy the active principles.

If there are soft rotten spots on the mushrooms you may be able to cut them out and salvage the firm flesh. I have not seen your mushrooms so i don't know if they are too far gone.

I have experienced food poisoning one time and i guarantee that it's not the kind of trip your looking for. If it's rotten don't eat it.

If it only has a few bad spots cut them out. If you go this rout I would suggest making tea.

Pour boiling water over the shrooms, let sit for one hour, filter and consume the liquid. The boiling water will reduce your chances of consuming live bacteria, but it does not sterilize the mushrooms. I'm not positive about this, but I think old wood eating mushrooms should be safer than the kind that grow on feces, less chance of e-coli. You did not specify whether your cyans were Psilocybe or Copelandia.

Offlinecarrotjuice
Stranger
Re: When do mushrooms change from mature to dangerous? [Re: shroomydan]
    #3415703 - 11/27/04 12:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Psilocybe cyanescens. Sorry for the omission. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera, but they don't look any worse than this (from the 04 harvest thread):

Mild black/browning of edges, slightly mottled. They don't look bad, but since is the first harvest I've done, I want to be sure.
Thanks for responding.

OfflineGwize
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3415945 - 11/27/04 01:30 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

From what i see most those cyans are fine...if not all. I picked cyans that looked pretty old one time and I was worried bout rotting. They look similar to yours and I put up some pics and I was told they were good to eat. well my opinion their good but I'm still kind of a newbie shroomer.

OfflineLadyCyan
Havin' Fun
Loc: PNW
    #3416280 - 11/27/04 03:21 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Those Cyans look perfectly fine to me! The darker spots that arent blueish, those look like spores dropped from a very close by cyan, probably one that was growing almost on top of it. The cyans get lighter like that when they are dry. If you drop one into a bowl of cool water (or even just hold the tip of the stem in a little, and dip the cap in for a few seconds), you will see almost immediatly a color change. The cap will darken to a caramel color, and if the stems aren't blueing already, you should see the stem go a little whiter. Never pick a shroom that looks like a cyan that has a orange/brown stem, cap and gills, or one that looks like a cyan with the white stem and tan cap but doesnt blue. Also, the gills on a cyan are white/light tan and should turn almost a grayish purple/blue color when picked and dried,,,never pick one that has a kinda orangey gill. The orange stem and non blueing lookalikes of our friend the Cyans, are Galarina's, and have been known to cause some serious long term medical problems/death if eaten.
Remember to be safe and NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EAT A MUSHROOM THAT LOOKS LIKE A CYAN UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTLY POSITIVE IT IS A CYAN. Study not only the ones you want, but also the poisonous ones,,,that helps in knowing what you do and dont want.
A really good site, Safe-Pik Guide
Remember though, all mushrooms are at their best before spores start to be produced,,,then you will be sure you dont get ones that are too old.
Have fun!

Offlinecarrotjuice
Stranger
    #3416297 - 11/27/04 03:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks LadyC. That's good info. I've been reading a lot about Galerinas.
I fixed my old webcam so here's a bad picture of the cyans I have here that I'm curious about, a fair bit more mature than the ones in that other photo:

Assuming they're not decomposing, would they be any good to eat? They feel so rubbery and unappealing, but perhaps there's a little magic left in them.

Edited by carrotjuice (11/27/04 03:31 PM)

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3416776 - 11/27/04 05:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"They feel so rubbery and unappealing"

They are not prized for flavor and texture.  :lol:

Those don't look rotten to me.

Offlinecarrotjuice
Stranger
Re: When do mushrooms change from mature to dangerous? [Re: shroomydan]
    #3416803 - 11/27/04 05:30 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Good point. :shroomer: Thanks Dan.
Still, the magic must be quite a bit less by weight I would think.

OfflineLadyCyan
Havin' Fun
Loc: PNW
    #3417005 - 11/27/04 06:19 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

dont worry, they r fine,,just drying out a bit.  They are not only rubbery and unappealing,,they will also be bitter...but then i dont think you were looking for some prize edibles, were you?  :wink: :smile:  My man eats them decomposing and rotting,,,all black and stuff, he's never had a problem.  He dries them out, grinds them into powder in a coffee grinder and swallows the powder down, after measuring and weighing out the amount.  it goes down much easier and hits lots faster.

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: When do mushrooms change from mature to dangerous? [Re: LadyCyan]
    #3417007 - 11/27/04 06:20 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

taste like eating rubber, clay, or play-doh or something of that nature.

--------------------

Offlinecarrotjuice
Stranger
Re: When do mushrooms change from mature to dangerous? [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3417039 - 11/27/04 06:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I've eaten cyans on many an occasion. This is just the first time I've harvested them. I used to like the flavor, but not anymore. Tis worth it, though.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies