Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Thinking of trying cactus growing
    #3414935 - 11/27/04 03:49 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So some time ago while ordering from a shroomery sponsor I got along with my order some free seeds for a trichocereus huascha, or at least that is what the bag they came in was labeled. I had tossed them in a box and forgot about them since I had heard stories that cactus like peyote can take up to 15 years to grow. This was of course drunken stories heard from people at a party so they really didn't carry all that much weight. Anyways, fast forward a few years and I run across a few baggies of about 10 seeds in each and started to rethink growing them. What I was wondering is are they worth my time and effort to grow. When searching for trichocereus huascha I get very few results, plenty from the same family of trichocereus, but very few actual trichocereus huascha. Assuming that this is the right type I am wanting to grow, what would be a good way to start? While I am not a noobie as far as this site and growing other things, when it comes to cactus I guess I am. This site has always done me right on other endeavors, and I did get the seeds from a sponsor here so I thought it would be a good place to start instead of going over to Lycaeum or Erowid for help. Any help would be great.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Re: Thinking of trying cactus growing [Re: MadHatR]
    #3415038 - 11/27/04 05:14 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, they take a long time, but once they're established (after the first year or so), they require very little effort, and more or less become part of the furniture. Just water them once a week and repot them once a year and they'll be happy.

A nice illustrated guide to germinating cactus seeds can be found on the mushmush site, here.

For more info you should check out the cactus section in the archives of thenook.org

Whether it's worth it for you, only you can decide. It's a bit like investing in a piece of fine art. You get something that you like looking at and caring for, and after five or ten years there may be a big payoff at the end.

If you're only interested in the end product, then I suggest just buying some San Pedro logs from a vendor. If you like having plants around, then growing cactus is probably worth it for you.

good luck either way.

Edited by koppie (11/27/04 05:28 AM)

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Thinking of trying cactus growing [Re: koppie]
    #3415107 - 11/27/04 06:41 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well I really enjoy having plants around that I have helped to bring to life. I am not looking into for any kind of resale value or aspirations of that nature, but I would be lieing if I said that I do not wish to enjoy all of the fruits of my labor. I grow everything from mushrooms to pea's, but the end results always ends up being that I eat them. I don't like starting off with things like logs, it just seems like cheating. Someone else has already done most of the work, and while that may result in a superior product than what I might produce in the end the end product is still not my work. I have many friends that are part native american and while scientifically I know why using a cactus of this type gives the results that they do I can also see the enlightenment that is achieved by them. I do not plan on allowing the seeds to go to waste, that just is not right, but if the end result is not what I am looking for I think I should find seeds of that nature so that they may be planted at the same time. Back when I used to live in Texas I took for granted the ease of driving down to Mexico through the desert and finding cactus that has been there for many years, taken care of by nature. Every life-form was put on this plant for a reason, be it for food or spiritual awakening, they all play their part in the balance that we call life.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #3415114 - 11/27/04 07:05 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

if you like growing things like you say, growing cactus may be really rewarding for you.
you're used to peas and mushrooms, i don't believe that starting out of 'logs' would be cheating, there are SO MANY different species to grow, i think it's forgivable. =)
on trichocereus huashca, i would recommend you to pick other better known trichocereus, if you want to grow an entheogen...

FH

Offlinekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
    #3415193 - 11/27/04 09:00 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

When I said payoff, I meant eating it, that's the big payoff for me in growing them. Reading your second post, I think growing cactus is something that you will find rewarding.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: Thinking of trying cactus growing [Re: koppie]
    #3415384 - 11/27/04 11:38 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I would urge you to buy a 2-6 pedro logs then 100+ seeds of pedros, peruvian torches, bridgesii, and peyote (wili).

The thing with rasing from seed is they take 3-4 years to mature. The collumar cacti will only be about 2' after 3-4 years. You wont be able to cut them and sample the fruits of your labor for 4-6 years. When from cutting you could get 3-4' of growth off each cutting over those 3-4 years, and get a few pups if you feed them well.

OfflineDiadrak
PsychedelicDreamer

Re: Thinking of trying cactus growing [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3420857 - 11/28/04 10:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Wow, I never knew cacti took that long to mature...this is something I'm going to have to get into.  :laugh:

--------------------
"Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over. This is wrong. It arouses contept in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow" --Raoul Duke

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden