Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHorseman
Old Timer
Loc: Houston, Texas
adding gypsum to qt jars
    #340984 - 06/14/01 09:09 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

When do you add gypsum to qt jars? during preboiling/steeping or before PCing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNagual
enthusiast

Loc: nyc, USA
Re: adding gypsum to qt jars [Re: Horseman]
    #341250 - 06/15/01 06:49 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

You'd probably end up throwing it out with the cooking water if you steeped it, you probably wanna mix it with the substrate after cooking and before sterilizing since cooking wouldnt do anything to it anyway. Gypsum is calcium right? Does adding it to a substrate help keep out contaminates? Do the mushrooms like calcium?

o0O)}>there is no real death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves<{(O0o

--------------------
.....___^___
....(_______)
........|...|Free
...__ /.../..Spore
...|___ / .....Ring

Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: adding gypsum to qt jars [Re: Horseman]
    #341266 - 06/15/01 07:19 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

gypsum is a pH buffer and it keeps the grain from clumping together.

A nice solution to your prob is to 'pre-soak' the grain right in the jar. Add the grain & gypsum, then add hot water. Shake and let sit for 24 hours (shaking them occasionally). Then you shall be golden.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

OfflineNagual
enthusiast

Re: adding gypsum to qt jars [Re: egghead]
    #341282 - 06/15/01 07:41 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

What does it look like and where can one acquire this gypsum?

o0O)}>there is no real death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves<{(O0o

--------------------
.....___^___
....(_______)
........|...|Free
...__ /.../..Spore
...|___ / .....Ring

Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: adding gypsum to qt jars [Re: Nagual]
    #341292 - 06/15/01 07:54 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

You can get it at any garden store. It's a grayish powder. Looks sort of like clay flour (if there is such a thing.)

Another thing ole monkey likes to do is add a vitamin to each jar. Fungi need to eat healthy too. If you want to get real fancy, you could pre-soak your rye in fertilizer tea. Especially if your sub is low in nitrogen or you're growing a dung loving species.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

Invisibleslither
addict
    #341398 - 06/15/01 11:02 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

You can get about a 40lb bag at ace hardware, and I'm sure any other place like that for about $3-$4. It's also essential in dung based composts.

OfflineNagual
enthusiast

Re: adding gypsum to qt jars [Re: egghead]
    #341409 - 06/15/01 11:23 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Muchos gracias amigos.. there's a post at drooldonkey about compost tea, <<www.yelmworms.com/composttea.htm>>
has 1/2 gallon of it for $12, in concentrated form so 1oz. of the stuff makes a gallon of tea.

--------------------
.....___^___
....(_______)
........|...|Free
...__ /.../..Spore
...|___ / .....Ring

Offlinehybridphil
Student

Loc: Milky Way....they'll neve...
    #5646461 - 05/18/06 02:02 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Isn't gypsum like drywall filler which has a paste like consistency? Polyfill persay?

--------------------
Psilocybin anonymous

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: adding gypsum to qt jars [Re: hybridphil]
    #5646492 - 05/18/06 02:16 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Drywall IS gypsum. The 'garden' gypsum I get is what they sweep up off the floor at the sheetrock plant. It even has little pieces of white, green, and grey paper mixed in. I just answered this question in the other thread. Here's what I posted there:

"I add gypsum to the water the grains soak in. The first step is to wash the grains very well. Put them in a pot of water and swirl it around, then drain the water out. Repeat a few times until the water pours off clear. If you skip this step, your grains will be clumped up and sticking together whether you use gypsum or not.

Fill the pot with hot tap water and soak the grains for 24 hours. Add one tablespoon of gypsum for each two gallons of soak water.

After 24 hours, bring the pot of water/grain/gypsum to a boil for five minutes. Drain while still boiling into a strainer and allow to drain well for five minutes. Shake the collander to toss the grains in the air a bit to let the steam evaporate the moisture off the surface of the grains. Fill jars 2/3 full, cover with filtered lid and pc for 90 minutes after covering the top of the jar with aluminum foil.

If you'll follow the above instructions, you can leave the PC'd jars in the pressure cooker overnight to cool to room temperature. When you remove the cold jars and turn them upside down, every single kernel will separate from every other kernel, and they'll flow almost like sand in an hour glass, with absolutely no sticking or clumping. I'm no fan of micropore tape. Drill two very small holes of 1mm or 1/16" in the lid, then use a synthetic filter disk or extra thick(not post office)tyvek. Good luck."
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineJacobacro
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: adding gypsum to qt jars [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #28468912 - 09/14/23 04:00 PM (6 months, 10 days ago)

I found granulated gypsum at a garden supply store.  I almost didn’t get it because it has sulfur mixed in.  I think of sulfur as poison so I doubted it would be good for mushrooms but I read online that sulfur aids in the production of essential amino acids.  Would you use this kind of gypsum?

-Jacob

OfflineScrewup
Googles your dumb questions
Trans-female

Re: adding gypsum to qt jars [Re: Jacobacro]
    #28468916 - 09/14/23 04:04 PM (6 months, 10 days ago)

Excellent bump on a 22 year old thread my good chap!

I always find it funny like every other site for like auto cars or help in general will lock old threads but not here 😎

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Help US help YOU TEK

2023 Dehydrator TEK

Edited by Screwup (09/14/23 04:05 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract