Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineDF2K
Me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land before time
Re: A Trans-Atlantic Subway? [Re: RRhoads]
    #3415786 - 11/27/04 12:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RRhoads said:
Not likely this will happen. Yhats about 1/12 the speed of light.

wrong

the speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: A Trans-Atlantic Subway? [Re: DF2K]
    #3415856 - 11/27/04 12:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

Speed of light = 299 792 458 meters per second = 186 282.397 miles per second.

One twelth of 186 282.397 = 15 524 miles per second.

That would mean that the journey from America to the UK would take less than a quarter of a second...

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: A Trans-Atlantic Subway? [Re: OJK]
    #3418755 - 11/28/04 07:21 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That is way too fast.

--------------------

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: A Trans-Atlantic Subway? [Re: CherryBom]
    #3418760 - 11/28/04 07:25 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

that'd be real convient tho :grin:

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3418880 - 11/28/04 09:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

For some reason, while reading the posts in this thread, it sparked my imagination in a curious way. I began to wonder what the people of egypt must have been talking about as they went about thier daily routine, soon after they were told that they were to build a great pyramid tall enough to reach the heavens. That must have been a very interesting time to have lived. As such things had never been accomplished before and most never dreamt such things possible.

Can you imagine the conversations that must have taken place in the weeks prior to the construction? Even the fact that they thought of the pharoah as a God or Demi-God or whatever didn't make the concept any easier to swallow for them as this trans-atlantic train concept is for us. For we have technology to put our faith in. Looking back 100 or even 200 years we can see the GARGANTUOS leaps we have made in technology in a relatively short period of time.

I can certainly see this project as a possibility sometime in our lifetimes. Who knows what new technological marvel is just waiting to be discovered. Maybe even today somewhere, as I type this, some group of great thinkers are pondering the possibilities and by accident (as is usually the case) they stumble onto a way to make this nano-technology, for instance, work in a way that was not seen viable untill now. I think we underestimate ourselves far too often. The human mind is a most powerful tool.

--------------------

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: A Trans-Atlantic Subway? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3418901 - 11/28/04 09:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, I take your point that predicting the future is difficult, but every aspect of this project presents overwhelming problems to be overcome; aside from the challenges of creating the world's biggest vacuum, you have the world's longest tunnel to construct in such away as it is both stable and resistant to some of the strongest oceanic currents in the world, air supply and maitenence issues, huge electrical demands in areas accessible only through impossibly long cables, safety issues, plus, and this is the killer; this project would be massively expensive and, far more importantly in terms of the way our society works, hugely unprofitable . There are very definite limits regarding how many trains could be run through the tunnel, and seeing as the journey isn't massively quicker than the equivalent flight time, only the hugely rich would shell out for the hugely expensive tickets. It would be like running Concord, but having to build a massive tunnel for it first. Planes will always be hugely cheaper. There just isn't really a need or incentive to get this thing built.

Based on that, I think it is fair to make predictions about the ever-uncertain future, namely that this tunnel will not be built.

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3419077 - 11/28/04 11:19 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Your statement about an ever un-predictable future is inherently true, but in rebuttal to your comment about "overwhelming problems to overcome" I submit to you that these are the exact same words that have been used by many, many men all throughout history whenever faced with a concept as large as this one. You see, you're still thinking along the lines of, as you said, "huge electrical demands" and "impossibly long cables". I only ask that you at least try to accept the possibility that we may not even be using our current, primitive, form of electricity and the means by which we transport it in 50 or even 30 years from now.

My point was to bring to light the rapidly changing face of technology at this point in human civilization. It has been a snowball effect ever since the first primitive man sharpened a rock and attached it to a long stick to use as a spear in hunting wild game. Each hundred or so years that goes by, the pace at which we learn, discover, and invent new tools to further our existence increases dramatically without an end in sight.

It's common however to think that we are at the height of civilization and from here there can only be a decline. Every generation beginning with the first great civilizations has thought this.

Or maybe I'm way off on this as I'm reminded of a poster I saw while riding on the tube once in London. It said, "the average speed in London in the year 1900 was 15mph. The average speed in London in the year 2000 is 15mph" or something to that effect. So maybe all of our efforts to better our way of life, and to make things easier on ourselves are all in vain. Maybe we're working harder under the illusion that things are easier than they were 100 years ago. I don't know. I'll leave that for you to decide.

But I don't go as far as to say that this trans-continental railway will never be built. And I do use the term "railway" lightly. All I mean to say is that I'm quite certain that we will have the technology to do so sometime in this century. Whether we use it to do just that, only time will tell.

--------------------

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: A Trans-Atlantic Subway? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3422198 - 11/29/04 04:06 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The way that I see it, it's already far to developed NOT to happen.

This will become a reality. If not for us, then for our grandkids. We have no where else to go unless we are getting bigger and snazzier. We will keep on inventing and experiementing and learning and giant electric monsters like this will keep getting more and more complex.

I'm kind of glad that I am here now and not in 150 years. I think now is the perfect time. I'm good here.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder