Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHerbus

Loc: Reading the map...
Humboldt, is alive.
    #3410029 - 11/25/04 09:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Did I find psilocybe cyanescens? No. Liberty Caps? No. Why? Because I'm not very good at this I suppose... But a blind man could find mushrooms in Humboldt County. Driving down 101 you can spot boletes and amanitas at 65MPH. The amount of mycelium is crazy, we found at least 30+ different varieties of mushrooms. Amanita Muscarias are all over Crescent City and boletes in every fucking forest under every goddamn tree... For anyone interested in Mushrooms in NorCal Humboldt is your place. I'll try to get some pics, but right now I'm at relatives for Thanksgiving. But if you're amateur like me, and can't find psilocybes, there's plenty of Amanita buttons I left.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Humboldt, is alive. [Re: Herbus]
    #3412852 - 11/26/04 03:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

the humboldt coast is great for mushrooms of virtualy all types. i love it in the fall.

don't forget about the P. cyanofibrilosa, they abound in the county. but remember also, the police and park rangers know it.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: Humboldt, is alive. [Re: canid]
    #3412868 - 11/26/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

POLICE & PARK RANGERS  :nutkick:

--------------------

OfflineHerbus

Re: Humboldt, is alive. [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3413693 - 11/26/04 08:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

What general areas should I search for actives? I've gathered up the dunes are supposed to produce. Heard of cyans and cyanfils adjecent to the highway. Anyways I hit some dunes and it was mostly sand and some dune grass but not much wood. I hit up Eureka, Arcata and Crescent City, but did not search the cities themselves very thoroughly. Some of the alder/pine groves look quite promising, alas I still did not find actives. Any pointers within the restrictions?

--------------------

InvisibleBobHumboldt
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3424105 - 11/29/04 05:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Just a general suggestion for cyans are the dunes on the Samoa Peninsula. I hope that's not too specific, considering they extend 5 or 6 miles... My only decent find this year was about 20 nice cyans growing in what looks like to me Azurescens habitat (bent over dune grass) in the dunes. I think that is an alternate native habitat for the psilocybe cyanescens mushrooms. I have also found them growing out of a dwarf juniper/mossy type of substrate. Never on wood chips, so far but go figure.

Best find was last Saturday (11/27) about two days after we received 1/4 to 1/2" of rain, with relatively cold nights. Haven't found the legendary spots where pounds of 'em grow, but I'm gonna keep on looking. Two medium sizers were nice.

Edited by BobHumboldt (11/29/04 05:29 PM)

OfflineHerbus

Re: Humboldt, is alive. [Re: BobHumboldt]
    #3424523 - 11/29/04 06:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well that makes me feel bad. I was JUST up there. I went to the Mad River beach area and followed the river, and briefly looked on dunes. My only finds looked similiar to azurescens in cap and stem structure, but the gills were brown and they did not bruise blue. I was also hoping they were cyanofibrillosa but I doubt that as even later they still did not bruise. Thanks for directing me in a general direction, I hit up Samoa! Where in Humboldt are you by the way?

--------------------

InvisibleBobHumboldt
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3427266 - 11/30/04 10:04 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hi. I'm in Eureka. Yes, the general area around Samoa is good. Again, I haven't found much, but my one good find was very encouraging. And these mushrooms are definately psilocybe cyanescens, not azures. However, what's wierd, in my mind is that they are living in the same environment as the azures, just a couple hundred miles south. When I saw them under the bent over dune grass they looked like the azures in Stamets book, but they didn't have the umbos and some of the caps are definately wavy. Keep in mind that Stamets states that there's a "complex" of species within the cyanescens group. My guess is that there's a gradation between the species and the local actives are within the complex, but since none of them that I've found have been in wood chip habitats, they're a variety perhabs a bit "different" than the washington cyans. Feel free (anyone) to drop me a message anytime about hunting in Humboldt.

**Edit** Fairly decent find today (11/30/2004), in rank dune grass, 10 silver-dollar sized cyans, heh, heh. Nice lunch break.

Edited by BobHumboldt (11/30/04 05:14 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Humboldt, is alive. [Re: BobHumboldt]
    #3433358 - 12/01/04 03:09 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

bob: whar you are finding in the dunes are P. cyanofibrilosa, not P. cyanescens. they are quite fond of the bush lupines in that habitat.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleBobHumboldt
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: pretty sure they're cyanescens [Re: canid]
    #3436321 - 12/02/04 07:30 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hi. Based on Stamets, Arora, and other field guidebooks and careful examination, I'm pretty confident that they're psilocybe cyanescens. But I am fairly new to this, I'll admit. In this particular habitat, all that I've found near the bush lupines are galerina autumnalis. I realize that the lupines are the habitat for the cyanofibrillosa and that this area is also noted for that species. These, however definately have wavy caps, and not the cap form expected from cyanofibrillosa. The spore print is dark purple brown.

This is what they look like (pardon the poor quality pic):

These ones I've been "seeing" lately are exactly the same as those displayed at the Humboldt Bay Mycological Society Mushroom Fair a couple weeks ago (i.e., cyanescens).

However, they didn't have any examples of the cyanofibrillosa at the fair, so I wouldn't stake my paycheck on the ID. Anyway, sorry to ramble, and my apologies for my spelling of the species name (it's taken me months to learn to spell psilocybe cyanescens.) I think they are cyans, though, just a strain within the species complex that happens to grow on rank dune grass. I would be appreciative of any information, from a personal experiential perspective, on cyanofibrillosa, though.

Edited by BobHumboldt (12/02/04 07:45 AM)

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: pretty sure they're cyanescens [Re: BobHumboldt]
    #3437915 - 12/02/04 02:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, those look like cyanescens to me, the cap doesn't look to be the right shape for cyanofibrillosas.

Nice finds

--------------------

Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

Re: pretty sure they're cyanescens [Re: @cro]
    #3437944 - 12/02/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

have any of you guys found any azures out in the dunes this year?

Offlinestinkfish
Lignin Lover
Loc: Californ-I-A
Re: pretty sure they're cyanescens [Re: deathcapcubensis]
    #3438681 - 12/02/04 04:52 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

you must go to oregon for any decent chance of finding azures.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags