Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Question on if I'm going about cloning the right way and if my expected outcome is right.
    #3412787 - 11/26/04 05:22 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I don't even know if this is considered cloning. What happened is I had one cake that had a couple of mutants on it. One of the mutants was about three times bigger than any of the healthy mushrooms on any of the other cakes. I made some Karo water and put a piece of the inside of the stem in there.
My questions are, am I going about this in the right way to possibly produce more of the same giant mushrooms? Is there much of an expectation for this to work or am I waisting my time?

--------------------
Flashbacks are God's way of saying, "This one's on me".

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: Question on if I'm going about cloning the right way and if my expected outcome is right. [Re: ymhrswrider]
    #3412822 - 11/26/04 05:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

this is basic genetics. if you take the big one and then fruit it and then take the big one off of that cake and then fruit it and continue doing this enough you will get a substrain that will generally produce giants. i dont know how many times you will have to do this but eventually it should work. are you wasting your time, no its always fun to experiment.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question on if I'm going about cloning the right way and if my expected outcome is right. [Re: ymhrswrider]
    #3412865 - 11/26/04 05:45 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know if that is technically cloning. It's a great way to make fast growing mycelia in water though. From my experiences, transferring a piece of the stem to an agar plate one can then select the most rhizomorphic section of mycelia and send that to substrate/karo water etc, then this becomes a valid clone.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Question on if I'm going about cloning the right way and if my expected outcome is right. [Re: Holydiver]
    #3412920 - 11/26/04 06:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I don't know if that is technically cloning. It's a great way to make fast growing mycelia in water though. From my experiences, transferring a piece of the stem to an agar plate one can then select the most rhizomorphic section of mycelia and send that to substrate/karo water etc, then this becomes a valid clone.

cloning of plant and fungus flesh is quite simple. take a chunk of it and get it too root. well with fungus, rooting is mycelium, so if you get a karo jar with a chunk of shroom in it to produce myc, then you've got a clone. It will take several generations to get the extact charectoristics isolated, the same as it does when cloning a wine vine.

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Re: Question on if I'm going about cloning the right way and if my expected outcome is right. [Re: lesstutrey]
    #3413261 - 11/26/04 07:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ok then. Well I'll get to growing and see what happens. I've got this little image in my head of a mad scientist bringing a monster shroom to life. Maybe I'll get lucky.

--------------------
Flashbacks are God's way of saying, "This one's on me".

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3414742 - 11/27/04 02:25 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You did give the stem a hydrogen peroxide bath first, right?

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

OfflineCryogeniczV
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Question on if I'm going about cloning the right way and if my expected outcome is right. [Re: MadHatR]
    #3414993 - 11/27/04 04:29 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

IMO, I have done cloning before, but it seems like I have had better success when I rather Germinate spores on Agar, and then isolate the best/fastest growing mycelium on the dish, and then further isolating that to fast growing clean sterile culture.

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Question on if I'm going about cloning the right way and if my expected outcome is right. [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #3415111 - 11/27/04 06:55 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Agreed, cloning is only done due to results of the dominate genes. Within the generations that it takes to bring those out the recessive genes can still show up. If not then in further generations. Flaws will always exist and over time they will show up no matter what, that's nature. Any way you look at it is the luck of the draw, but that is life. You can't beat god at his own game. :smile: It never hurts to try though.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation