Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Burnt grain spotted jars?
    #3412405 - 11/26/04 03:01 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Ok, so I am running low on jars and getting down to some of my older ones that have marks in them. They are dark brown spots that look like burnt on grains, almost rust like. I have seen these before and if you take a brush to them really hard or a knife they come off. The problem is they do not seem to come off during normally cleaning methods of bleach soak, soapy water soak then rinse before PCing. Has anyone else come across this and found a easier way of removing them, possibly with something like a acetone bath or something? Or by ignoring them and using them anyways?

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: Burnt grain spotted jars? [Re: MadHatR]
    #3412677 - 11/26/04 04:42 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Burnt grains, eh? A number of times I've had my PC run out of water so that when the grain jars come out, the grains are a lot darker, maybe even burnt, but I've never had grains burn on to the glass.

Mostly, after birthing, the mycelium is what gets stuck to the inside of the jar.

What is causing your grains to burn to the glass? I would expect that ignoring them and reusing the jars wouldn't be a problem. They are likely to be equally sterilized and may even still have helpful nutes despite being burnt.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Invisibleandjor
Stranger
Loc: Here
Re: Burnt grain spotted jars? [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3412739 - 11/26/04 05:09 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

If you've bleached them and sterilized them and there are still "rust" marks, I would just ignore them.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Burnt grain spotted jars? [Re: andjor]
    #3414956 - 11/27/04 04:00 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Well I am not sure what kind of marks or spots they really are, but they seem to be caked onto the glass pretty good. Most of them are in old test jars that I was using to get the moisture content levels correct. They were grain tests only, never got to the point of being knocked up. It seems though no matter how many bleach baths they go through the spots do not leave. They can be scrapped off, but that is some timely work due to the fact that they are always at the bottom of the jars. I just hate to risk using jars that look dirty, even if they are in fact clean due to the use of bleach and a PC. Plus I don't want to buy more, but I also don't want to let useful myc go to waste or sit in the fridge when it could be growing.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation