Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekarmatah
Stranger
little black spots on my shroomies
    #3411717 - 11/26/04 11:55 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

I already posted this under "mushroom cultivation" but this forum here seems much more suitable. Sorry for the mistake.

Hi folks,
I got one of those kits from the NL. One of those "just add water" thingies. The mycel was already injected into the grain, I just had to put the whole box into lukewarm water for six hours. It worked fairly well! Could already harvest some shroomies, small but potent!
Problem is: the second flush is in full flourish now but little black spots appear all over the stems and caps. Not on all of 'em but on quite many. Bacteria? Somewere I read that it might be a sign of "over ripeness". Could that be? Shall I just harvest (the caps are still attached to the white stuff, didn't split yet)? The shrooms are fairly small though (cubensis).
The "manual" which came with the kit states, that you have to "rewater" the kit after every harvest, meaning to dunk the whole kit (grain+mycel) in water for couple of hours. Do I have to whatch out for sterilty, doing that? I just touched the kit with my hands after washing them with anti-bacterial soap and I harvested with a knife with I "lighterflamed".
Hope that all made sense and that any of you can help.
Thanks&Cheers
to all'o'you

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekarmatah
Stranger
Re: little black spots on my shroomies [Re: karmatah]
    #3411726 - 11/26/04 11:56 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

I'll also add the pics from the other forum, to make things a little clearer:

So here're the pics:

The smily guy:

A typical one

The first flush:

That's how the first ones looked. Beauties arent they! I know the air was to dry and so they cracked but besides that they are great (and potent like hell). Why did the next flush turn out so weird?

thx guys (and gals)

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: little black spots on my shroomies [Re: karmatah]
    #3418944 - 11/28/04 11:46 AM (12 years, 9 days ago)

The black spots are likely a little bacterial blotch; But it's interesting to see it in a lower rH environment. Usually it happens in systems with too high rH. The mushies should be fine for consumption, just be sure to dry them quickly and completely.
As far as dunking, I think you have the right idea. Sterility is impossible and unnecessary, but cleanliness is important.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum