Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinereve
Stranger
Is soaking and PC'ing for more then 15 minutes needed?
    #3409263 - 11/25/04 08:46 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

I hear from everyone and the teks that soaking for 12+ hours is needed to germinate endospores, and that you have to PC jars for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

But all the science and medical stuff I look up says that endospores die, along with everything else after 15 minutes at 15psi. If thats how they do it with medical equipment, you'd think it would be safe for shrooms.

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/control.html
http://bricker.tcnj.edu/micro/micro6.html
http://www.bact.wisc.edu/Microtextbook/m...d=13&page=1

Seems like you could chop a huge chunk of time out if you could just rinse simmer rinse and PC for 30 mins to be safe.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Is soaking and PC'ing for more then 15 minutes needed? [Re: reve]
    #3409281 - 11/25/04 08:50 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

No because with Medical Equipment the Stainless steel heats up very fast.The Jars take an hour just to get up to temps. Yes once the Substrate get to temp it only takes another 15 -30 mins to kill the nasties. But who can tell when the center of the substrate is up to proper temps? No one can sorry.

I understand that Endospores found in grain are very much different then endospores found floating around teh air.Grain endospores are very tuff.

Stick to the recommended TEKs

You can not go wrong. Besides what is another hour or so?

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Is soaking and PC'ing for more then 15 minutes needed? [Re: reve]
    #3409294 - 11/25/04 08:53 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

The majority of surgical tools that are flat and contain few removable parts are sterilized in large autoclaves. They first undergo a vacuum cycle that extracts all of the air from the chamber. The chamber is then filled with steam to a pressure of 40psi and subjected to these pressures for 4 minutes. A flat piece of metal that has been disinfected chemically and mechanically has fewer starting spores and fewer penetratable crevices where biologic entities could be.

Try to clean off a knife blade then try to clean off a kernel of cracked corn. Do you think that you accessed a significantly higher portion of the total surface area of the scalpel or the cracked corn?

I have tried lowering the times on my pressure cooking and noting where contamination rates begin to rise. I operate my pressure cooker at pressure for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Under one hour and contamination rates start to pick up. Feel free to experiment yourself!

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation