Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: I have a suggestion for the board [Re: Tripster]
    #3405799 - 11/24/04 08:10 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I mean its redunant in the form that as soon as you open the needle it is exposed to an environment FULL of tons of micro organism pathogens that can contam it, making your method of a new needle each time no better than flame sterilization. I'm not going to get in an argument about this and that, but many plastics have high melting points as well, glad bake wares are good to 400 degrees, and other automotive and autoclavable plastics can withstand high temperatures. I also dont think it's neccisary to heat the whole needle to red hot to kill all pathogens. I dont know many pathogens that can survive a climate of several hundread degrees.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3405818 - 11/24/04 08:14 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Its not a problem disposing of them but 200 needles a month going somewhere makes me worried someone will notice. Remember I already have like 200 pounds of colonized substrate do get rid of every month among other things..I get a little paranoid even though I have a nice dumpster shared with many others in my apartment. Still it just seems like a waste when the flame is right there..I'm the kind of person who would rinse off a syrofoam plate to reuse it instead of getting another.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Re: I have a suggestion for the board [Re: derx]
    #3405834 - 11/24/04 08:19 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

derx said:
I mean its redunant in the form that as soon as you open the needle it is exposed to an environment FULL of tons of micro organism pathogens that can contam it, making your method of a new needle each time no better than flame sterilization. I'm not going to get in an argument about this and that, but many plastics have high melting points as well, glad bake wares are good to 400 degrees, and other automotive and autoclavable plastics can withstand high temperatures. I also dont think it's neccisary to heat the whole needle to red hot to kill all pathogens. I dont know many pathogens that can survive a climate of several hundread degrees.

I'm not trying to argue you on it either. I'm asking what you think and telling you my thoughts on the subject. It's only an arguement if we can't accept we may have differing opinions. I know I can so there's no problem here. I understand what you're saying about the un-sterile environment. The difference I see is the starting point, not the environment. One way I know it's 100% sterile, the other way I have high hopes it's 100% sterile. For me I guess it's peace of mind. Like I said, obviously flame sterilizing has worked for many. I just think we might have just a few less posts about contams if everyone used a 100% sterile needle. I'm not saying that so much about the technique of flame sterilizing as I am about the humans that are performing that technique. We all know about human error.

--------------------
You've raped! I feel dirty
It hurt! As a child
Tied down! That's a good boy
And fucked! Your own child
I scream! No one hears me
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching
Mommy why?! Your own child -Korn

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
    #3405852 - 11/24/04 08:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

we all have different oppinions, im leaving it at that :smile:

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3405854 - 11/24/04 08:26 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It's not 1000 degrees, But, it is Very hot to the point where it is as sterile as taking it out of the package. The Only thing I see good about using new needles is for you to be lazy in terms of not worrying about sterilizing, Why? B/c they're already sterile But in my opinion, I'd Still throw some flame on there, I'm not a sterile nut but I like to know that it's sterile, just b/c it's in a plastic wrap doesn't make it sterile enough for me, I like to do it myself, gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside and lets me know that , Hey, It's sterile, you saw it yourself. And this is something regarding the Melting Point Of "Steel"/syringes(considering that they're made of steel)

What's the melting point of steel?

That depends on the alloy of steel you are talking about. The term alloy is almost always used incorrectly these days, especially amongst bicyclists. They use the term to mean aluminum. What the term alloy really means is a mixture of metals, any kind of metals. Almost all metal used today is a mixture and therefore an alloy.

Most steel has other metals added to tune its properties, like strength, corrosion resistance, or ease of fabrication. Steel is just the element iron that has been processed to control the amount of carbon. Iron, out of the ground, melts at around 1510 degrees C (2750?F). Steel often melts at around 1370 degrees C (2500?F).

info found here :
http://education.jlab.org/qa/meltingpoint_01.html

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Re: I have a suggestion for the board [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3405855 - 11/24/04 08:26 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Its not a problem disposing of them but 200 needles a month going somewhere makes me worried someone will notice. Remember I already have like 200 pounds of colonized substrate do get rid of every month among other things..I get a little paranoid even though I have a nice dumpster shared with many others in my apartment. Still it just seems like a waste when the flame is right there..I'm the kind of person who would rinse off a syrofoam plate to reuse it instead of getting another.

Well that's just a big difference in style I guess.  :grin: On top of a big difference in quantity. I understand what you're saying and it's definitely not optimal for your quantities. I'm guessing you are one of the few on here that grow 200lbs of substrate a month. I may be wrong.

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Re: I have a suggestion for the board [Re: aussieone]
    #3405863 - 11/24/04 08:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

aussieone said:
we all have different oppinions, im leaving it at that :smile:

I respect your differing opinion.

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3405876 - 11/24/04 08:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If a person is unable to hold a flame to a needle with success what makes you think they will be able to screw on a new needle sterily? It's not to hard..

I understand your just letting people know that there is an option of using a new needle every time which can be slightly more easy to keep at 100% sterility because needles can be found cheaply. Just saying the other side..its not needed.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Re: I have a suggestion for the board [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3405877 - 11/24/04 08:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
It's not 1000 degrees, But, it is Very hot to the point where it is as sterile as taking it out of the package. The Only thing I see good about using new needles is for you to be lazy in terms of not worrying about sterilizing, Why? B/c they're already sterile But in my opinion, I'd Still throw some flame on there, I'm not a sterile nut but I like to know that it's sterile, just b/c it's in a plastic wrap doesn't make it sterile enough for me, I like to do it myself, gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside and lets me know that , Hey, It's sterile, you saw it yourself. And this is something regarding the Melting Point Of "Steel"/syringes(considering that they're made of steel)

What's the melting point of steel?

That depends on the alloy of steel you are talking about. The term alloy is almost always used incorrectly these days, especially amongst bicyclists. They use the term to mean aluminum. What the term alloy really means is a mixture of metals, any kind of metals. Almost all metal used today is a mixture and therefore an alloy.

Most steel has other metals added to tune its properties, like strength, corrosion resistance, or ease of fabrication. Steel is just the element iron that has been processed to control the amount of carbon. Iron, out of the ground, melts at around 1510 degrees C (2750?F). Steel often melts at around 1370 degrees C (2500?F).

info found here :
http://education.jlab.org/qa/meltingpoint_01.html

Nice links. Good info. For me it's the opposite. I trust something that is medical grade far more than something done in the home. These things are made to be used in hospitals so they aren't pussy footing around with this sterility. These are help to the highest standards. They are sterile. But again, a differing personality makes you feel different about your method. I understand wanting to have that control.

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3405886 - 11/24/04 08:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Oh and I dont grow to sell..I eat them all. ALL OF THEM AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Ahem.

--------------------

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

#3405898 - 11/24/04 08:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
If a person is unable to hold a flame to a needle with success what makes you think they will be able to screw on a new needle sterily? It's not to hard..

I understand your just letting people know that there is an option of using a new needle every time which can be slightly more easy to keep at 100% sterility because needles can be found cheaply. Just saying the other side..its not needed.

I'm glad you understand why I'm saying this atleast. The bold above is really my primary reason as to why. They are dirt cheap and until you are mass producing in the hundreds a month it's not much extra money or trouble at all. I do now know a little more details on flame sterilization which I do appreciate. I would feel safer doing it now, but will still be using 100% sterile needles from the package. I have plenty for a while already.

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

#3405905 - 11/24/04 08:39 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Flame is free and I'd rather not worry about where the 200 needles are(I'm messy).
If you're always messing around changing needles you risk making the syringe body unsterile by touching it.
just my 2 cents.:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Edited by Peterthinks (11/24/04 08:39 PM)

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

#3405911 - 11/24/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Oh and I dont grow to sell..I eat them all. ALL OF THEM AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Ahem.

:wink: Uh, 200 ounces or so, give or take a bunch of ounces. You are one hungry boy. You must still be growing in size yourself.  :tongue2:

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Re: I have a suggestion for the board [Re: Peterthinks]
    #3405919 - 11/24/04 08:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Peterthinks said:
Flame is free and I'd rather not worry about where the 200 needles are(I'm messy).
If you're always messing around changing needles you risk making the syringe body unsterile by touching it.
just my 2 cents.:jester:

Do you put out 200lbs of bulk substrate a month as well? If not than you won't be using 200 needles either. I used 6 in the past 2 months. If you are a mushroom factory than it may not be for you.

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3405920 - 11/24/04 08:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

One shroom makes you larger..the other makes you small and the ones that mother gives you dont do anything at all.

And a pound of substrate should be giving you at least 4 ounces..give or take a smaller one and a larger one and some that mother gives you.

By the way, might I recommend the Tampanensis mushrooms. The stones are good too but ohh man the mushrooms yummy yummy.

--------------------

Edited by scatmanrav (11/24/04 08:45 PM)

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

#3405925 - 11/24/04 08:44 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
One shroom makes you larger..the other makes you small and the ones that mother gives you dont do anything at all.

Hahahah .. it's been a while since watching that classic.

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3405930 - 11/24/04 08:45 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Exactly what I was thinking And you're probably right, It probably is sterile, but I myself, I'm frugal with my money and new needles would be great but I wouldn't get new ones until I my old ones got worn out, No one likes to use old needles. It just feels good to see the new Steel , gleaming , ready to be filled and used. Lol, But Yes, To each his own, Gl all.

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: I have a suggestion for the board [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3405941 - 11/24/04 08:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

#3405944 - 11/24/04 08:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:

And a pound of substrate should be giving you at least 4 ounces..give or take a smaller one and a larger one and some that mother gives you.

By the way, might I recommend the Tampanensis mushrooms. The stones are good too but ohh man the mushrooms yummy yummy.

Yeah, I was thinking like one jar (1/2 pint) not one pound. Damn man, I can't even imagine that quantity sitting in front of me. 800 ounces +/- some. Fuck me.

And boy did you lose me on the Tampanensis deal.  :blush:  I'm still in the learn everything about cubensis stage.  :grin:

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Re: I have a suggestion for the board [Re: derx]
    #3405956 - 11/24/04 08:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

derx said:
just buy one of these from Lana: http://www.mycosupply.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=BACT01

I would have to sterilize about 1,000+ needles to pay back that purchase. I'll just buy new ones, until I'm producing 200lbs of bulk a month that is.  :grin:

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck