Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Books to Read
    #3394284 - 11/21/04 07:23 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

As I enjoy reading very much and I'm probably not alone here, I thought a book recommendation thread would be a great idea. We could give each other some good ideas on choosing our next literary trip, could we not? So, go on - recommend a book that is really really good in Your opinion. These kind of threads have a tendency to end up being flooded with endless lists of recommendations, so please this time - one book only! Something that You love! If by this You really feel like I've raped You, make it more, but please try not to post more than three, so that each book in this thread gets the deserved attention and is treated like an individual, instead of getting lost in rows and rows of names and titles. It would be very nice if You wrote down some personal thoughts about the book, what's it about, what makes it so special to You etc. I'm really looking forward to learning about some fantastic books here to read in the long winter nights...

O.K. I'll start. My recommendation:

The Master and Margarita
by Mikhail Bulgakov

Look inside this book

Quote:

An audacious revision of the stories of Faust and Pontius Pilate, The Master and Margarita is recognized as one of the essential classics of modern Russian literature. The novel's vision of Soviet life in the 1930s is so ferociously accurate that it could not be published during its author's lifetime and appeared only in a censored edition in the 1960's. Its truths are so enduring that its language has become part of the common Russian speech.

One hot spring, the devil arrives in Moscow, accompanied by a retinue that includes a beautiful naked witch and an immense talking black cat with a fondness for chess and vodka. The visitors quickly wreak havoc in a city that refuses to believe in either God or Satan. But they also bring peace to two unhappy Muscovites: one is the Master, a writer pilloried for daring to write a novel about Christ and Pontius Pilate; the other is Margarita, who loves the Master so deeply that she is willing literally to go to hell for him. What ensues is a novel of inexhaustible energy, humor, and philosophical depth.

--------------------

Edited by ivi (11/25/04 12:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

Re: Books to Read [Re: ivi]
    #3394318 - 11/21/04 07:37 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I haven't read anything too obscure really, but I will list a couple of classics that I think a lot of people who haven't read them would love:

The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

> I have the entire series in one hardcover book with golden pages like in some Bibles.. has to be one of the best books I've ever read.  I love the humor, and if you like this book you should read The Restaurant At the End of the Universe.  The plot's a bit hard to follow but I can appreciate how witty and random it is.

The Anubis Gates - Tim Powers

>  Really well written and researched story about time travel.. it's so difficult to explain, but a kickass book nonetheless.  how's that for a review?  :stonedjerk:

Edited by idiotek (11/21/04 07:45 PM)

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3394475 - 11/21/04 08:10 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

One River-Wade Davis.

if you have any interest in botany [especially ethno botany], or any interest in Shultes, or any interest in exploring/traveling than its a great book. im only half way through but i love it. and i dont liek reading books too much.

i bought "the serpent and the rainbow" by him as well cause i am likign this book so much. i will read it once i finish one river.

the quote below is from this book. just finished reading about shultes peyote ritual with teh Kiowa indians. very neat stuff!

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleTYL3R
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#3394480 - 11/21/04 08:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hagakure - The Book of the Samurai
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Exellent Read

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Books to Read [Re: TYL3R]
    #3396201 - 11/22/04 10:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

A MODEST PROPOSAL

hehe, heres a diaologue some might recognizse that describes it awesome :smile:

1: what are you reading?
2: a modest proposal.
1.  whats it about?
2.  eating babies.

:::silence:::

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineMountainJam
Stranger
Re: Books to Read [Re: Todcasil]
    #3404021 - 11/24/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me by Richard Farina

OfflineFocusHawaii
Keeper of theMagic Garden

Loc: Canada
Re: Books to Read [Re: MountainJam]
    #3404767 - 11/24/04 04:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Crime and Punishment-Fyodor Dostoyevsky (or anything else by him)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maitanence-Rober Pirsig

Life of Pi-Yann Martel

Candide-Voltaire

All of those are great; just go to your bookstore and head to the literature section, I'm sure you'll find something that appeals to you.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3405003 - 11/24/04 04:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

A Game of Thrones - by George R. R. Martin

It's the best book I've ever read. (once you read the first one, you'll have to read the others.) Martin is a genius.

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: Books to Read [Re: MOTH]
    #3405360 - 11/24/04 06:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Zero - Charles Seife

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #3406660 - 11/24/04 11:44 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"The Woman in the Dunes" Kobo Abe (It's sort of odd, but I like it)

Ivi--you read, "Heart of a Dog"?

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

The Master and Margarita [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3407155 - 11/25/04 03:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

GnuBobo said:
Ivi--you read, "Heart of a Dog"?

Yes, but a looong time ago. I've also read Bulgakov's Country Doctor's Notebook and A Theatrical Novel, originally titled as Notes of a Dead Man - an autobiographical novel, very weird and may I say Kafka-ish book with a schizophrenic touch which was never finished because of his death in 1940. It's published as it is, and when during its completed 16 chapters the story has gotten all messed up and weird, the book ends. Just like that. Notes of a Dead Man? I couldn't find a peace of mind for a couple of days after that :crazy:

If You compare Heart of a Dog and Country Doctor's Notebook to The Master and Margarita and A Theatrical Novel they don't even seem to be written by one and the same man. All these books are interesting, but The Master and Margarita is that of pure genius.

I seriously believe Bulgakov got possessed or something and therefore wrote this book :smirk: He worked on The Master and Margarita for 12 whole years, and the last changes for it he dictated to his wife in his final weeks, as he lay dying of nephrosclerosis. The Master and Margarita is a dazzling Gogolesque fantasy, witty and ribald, and at the same time it is a penetrating philosophical novel wrestling with profound and eternal problems of good and evil. I can make no examples of the unique way how Bulgakov incorporates the mundane within the divine, and the divine within the mundane. It supposedly complies to a genre called magic realism and personally I keep it right between Carroll's Alice books and Goethe's Faust in my bookshelf :smile:

The Master and Margarita was banned in the Soviet Union until 1966-1967 when it was published in an egregiously censored form (first unexpurgated release was only in 1973), but till then it travelled secretly hand to hand as so called samizdat (clandestinely printed and distributed editions). I haven't read the english translation myself and I'm very concerned about what it's like, because of the style in which the book is written, some things just may not make it into another language (I praise God I have studied Russian). Anyway, I think it's really fucking hilarious and everyone should read it at least once. And don't let the Russian person's and geographic names confuse You. And I really do recommend checking out Middlebury College The Master and Margarita site, a lot of in-depth analysis and background information :thumbup:

Here are some "screenshots" (artist Charlie Stone's vision) :wink:

And Mikhail Bulgakov himself:

--------------------

Edited by ivi (11/25/04 09:44 AM)

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Oregon Flag
Re: The Master and Margarita [Re: ivi]
    #3407315 - 11/25/04 05:45 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: Books to Read [Re: fung_us_among_us]
    #3407329 - 11/25/04 05:59 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Cocaine + heroin + magick? :laugh:

--------------------

Edited by ivi (11/25/04 06:13 AM)

Offlinetheorganicdomino
Psychedelic ZenBuddhist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here & Now
    #3407684 - 11/25/04 10:19 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut

--------------------
"You've got to get hold of the thread of marching time, pull the fuck thing down, get on the end of it and pang yourself to the infinitude of absolute mind"
Ken Campbell - Furtive Nudist

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced" - Aart van der Leeuw

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Oregon Flag
Re: Books to Read [Re: theorganicdomino]
    #3408894 - 11/25/04 05:21 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

that's pretty much all it is. but a very good read none the less.

i'm hoping to get some more crowley this christmas.

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

OfflineMountainJam
Stranger
Re: Books to Read [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3416340 - 11/27/04 03:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have seen the film of "Woman in the Dunes". Didn't know what to make of it but maybe I'll pick up the book for a better understanding.

Offlinezachary
Stranger
Re: Books to Read [Re: MountainJam]
    #3454985 - 12/06/04 01:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Howard Marks - Book Of Dope Stories , "includes his favourite drugs writings from Alexander Dumas to Aleister Crowley via Hunter S. Thompson and Charles Baudelaire, as well as unpublished works and many new and compelling pieces from Mr.Nice himself." During the mid 1980s, Howard Marks had forty-three aliases, eighty-nine phone lines, and twenty five companies trading throughout the world.

Bars, recording studios, offshore banks: all were money-laundering vehicles serving the core activity: dope dealing.

Marks began to deal during a postgraduate philosophy course at Oxford and was soon moving large quantities of hashish into Europe and America in the equipment of touring rock bands. The academic life began to lose its allure.

At the height of his career, he was smuggling consignments of up to thirty tons from Pakistan and Thailand to America and Canada and had contact with organisations as diverse as the CIA, MI6, the IRA, and the Mafia.

After many years and a world-wide operation by the Drug Enforcement Agency, he was busted and sentenced to twenty five years in prison at the United States Federal Penitentiary, Terre Haute, Indiana, the site of America's only Federal Death Row.

He was released on parole in April 1995 after serving seven years of his sentence.

Howard Marks - Mr . Nice

Offlinetrent_logain
Stranger
Re: Books to Read [Re: zachary]
    #3455450 - 12/06/04 03:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The name of the author escapes me at the moment but try a novel called House Of Leaves.

Anonymous

Re: Books to Read *DELETED* [Re: trent_logain]
    #3455743 - 12/06/04 04:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by PsiloPsychic

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: Books to Read [Re: ]
    #3456267 - 12/06/04 06:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Angela's Ashes, funny at times but overall very sad.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom