Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesunofogun
the nextcastaneda

rye jars dont shake well
    #3403554 - 11/24/04 02:20 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

hey guys, im really enjoying how easy and fast the rye teks are. my problem is its real hard to shake the jars up almost like they get overlaid real fast. i shake between 25 and 50 percent and then when they look almost done.  i just spawned 10 pints with a bunch of straw and im worried that the rye isnt going to colonize 'cause they were like cakes and I had to break them up.  A couple weeks ago i cased some colonized rye and it did nothing!! whats wrong? :confused:

--------------------
I want something good to die for -- to make it beautiful to live - a new mistake - lose is more than hesitates QOTSA

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: rye jars dont shake well [Re: sunofogun]
    #3403577 - 11/24/04 02:24 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

u should dunk.

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Offlinesunofogun
the nextcastaneda

Re: rye jars dont shake well [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3403587 - 11/24/04 02:26 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

u think they dont have enough water? and also is there a way to dunk now? theres substrate and straw in layers

--------------------
I want something good to die for -- to make it beautiful to live - a new mistake - lose is more than hesitates QOTSA

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: rye jars dont shake well [Re: sunofogun]
    #3403627 - 11/24/04 02:35 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Not sure what you mean, when it colonized the mycelium holds the rye together very well and you need to use a spoon to scoop it out. We need more details on what you did which the casings you made once you made them..every step and thing that you did so we can let you know where you went wrong. Shake the jars the first time after about 5-10%..dont wait to long you want to do it around day 5 (or once its been colonizing for about 2 days). Shake them really good, the few small peices of myc should break up easier and spread all around the jar then they'll start growing everywhere. If you spread it around well enough at this point you wont need another shake. If at about 50-60% you see that one side is colonizing and the other isnt then shake them up really good again and try and get the white stuff spread evenly everywhere.

You can add a teaspoon (someone will correct me if this is the wrong amount) of gypsum to your quart jars to make the kernals stick together less and if you add it when simmering it can help prevent over saturation. You'll need to ask someone else about it since I don't use it myself..I don't have a problem with my rye. I believe Prisoner said he adds it during the simmer. Also make sure the jars don't go to the top like in the PF Tek, you should only fill them up like 2/3 of the way so you have plenty of room to shake. Ive found pint jars are much easier to shake and colonize much quicker (of course), but a pain in the ass to do quanities of grain.

You said you spawned colonized rye to straw and you hope the rye will colonize? You just said it already was didnt you? If its not colonized it shouldnt be added to the straw. I hope you pasturized the straw correctly. If so the straw will colonize fine.

And theres no such thing as overlay when you talk of grains, straw, shit, or any other nutrient or substrate. Substrates should be FULLY solid white..just like a cake. A casing layer is non nutrious and should only have mycelium peeking through the surface throughout the surface and not become a solid white hard mess. Its trying to hold in moisture but wont do that if it becomes a solid mass of myc. This is overlay.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation