Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
Perlite Problems (Humidity) ...end of my rope
    #3401065 - 11/23/04 10:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hi all. I'm having the hardest time getting the RH in my fruiting chamber above 78. I first followed a tek that said to wet all the perlite then strain it (that way it's at full saturation) then put it in the chamber. I did this, placed cling wrap over the top and waited 12hrs. My hygrometer went from a humidity reading of 68 to 78 over that time. I left it another 8 hours and it was still at 78.

Okay, so I came on here yesterday and searched through TONS of previous posts. Sam1912 made a post saying that when he did the same thing, he had to empty the chamber, add 1" of perlite fill with water then add another 1" of dry perlite and it worked for him. I tried this method but with no luck. It has been about 9 hours now and the humidity is now at 76.

I'm so frustrated at this point. Anyone have any other ideas as to what I can do to solve this problem? Between work and the coming holidays, I dont really have time to change setups and go with a bubble-wand thingy or whatever. I really need to get this perlite to work. My cakes have been in the chamber for 24hours now and I'm worried they may start to dry out. I must be missing something somewhere because this isn't working for me at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--------------------

Edited by 13eetleJuice (11/23/04 10:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: Perlite Problems (Humidity) ...end of my rope [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3401105 - 11/23/04 10:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Perlite holds about %10 water so hydrating it wouldn't work, I have 1.5" perlite 3/4" water and it's at %90. Whats the water level at?

--------------------

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Perlite Problems (Humidity) ...end of my rope [Re: aussieone]
    #3401129 - 11/23/04 10:34 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have approx 2" perlite, 1" standing water atm. The top 'dry' layer of perlite I put down has now sucked up a lot of water and become saturated. I've since filled the water back up to the 1" mark. I just bought this hygrometer at a pet store 3 days ago. I feel confident that it's working properly as I dont see any condensation inside the chamber. It doesn't seem humid when I open it. I just don't know what to do at this point.  :confused:

--------------------

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3401537 - 11/24/04 12:14 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Anyone else ever experienced this problem? From what I read I thought perlite was pretty foolproof. A low maintainance way to go. I've been misting my chamber as well but to no avail. I dunno. Maybe the hygrometer IS goofed up, but I doubt it. I'll buy a new one tomorrow I suppose.

If I don't get the humidity above 80% will my cakes even stand a chance at fruiting? And if they do, they'd probably have short skinny fruits, huh?

--------------------

Offlineus3fu1idi0t
HomeGrown
 User Gallery

Loc: Living in the Mushrooms w...
    #3402200 - 11/24/04 04:17 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I just started my first 4 jars a day ago and waiting on inoc and incubation. I'm running a tub with perlite and two bubble wands, but still have a while before I will use it. Maybe after I try it out I'll have more of a solution? Hopefully all goes well.

--------------------
Watch out for the smurfs!

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: Perlite Problems (Humidity) ...end of my rope [Re: us3fu1idi0t]
    #3402544 - 11/24/04 06:04 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Whats the size of your chamber? Also is it properly sealed. Small holes for tubing (if you have any) and air exchange (also IUHA) can let out humidity very quickly.

I dont operate a PmP without some way of propelling the humidity into the air. IE: Fish tank Pump with bubble wands or a humidifier as a standard. Since your rH isnt correct, it would be wise to look into these items if you havent already.

A little tinkering and Im sure youll work it out.

GL

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
Re: Perlite Problems (Humidity) ...end of my rope [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3402711 - 11/24/04 08:00 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I ran my PMP without a bubble wand and my humidity was fine.
You said that you are using a pet store brand hygrometer?
Is it the one with the two dials by zoo med I think?? If so Throw it away they are very inaccurate. Go buy a good one from a cigar shop.
Also I would recomend using some other form of lid saran wrap isnt very productive. You need to be able to get in and out of the PMP easily, and saran wrap can make a mess of things...not to mention the condensation dropping everywhere each time you remove the wrap.
If its a rubbermaid PMP I would suggest getting a peice of plexiglass cut it and silicone it to the lid. That way you can check the progress and it can be easily removed for maintainence. If all else fails just mist a lot and add super coats of saran wrap assuring no moisture or humididty loss.GL

-Odd

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
Re: Perlite Problems (Humidity) ...end of my rope [Re: oddiseus]
    #3402950 - 11/24/04 09:40 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Try heating the water. Water at 84 degrees F. will do the trick. I use a large kmart styro cooler, with cups in the bottom to hold up a screen floor, and water with H2O2 and a submersible waterproof fish tank heater in the bottom, weighted down. The inside of the box rains all the time with no air pump, while the outside RH is around 15.

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Re: Perlite Problems (Humidity) ...end of my rope [Re: red914]
    #3403021 - 11/24/04 10:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Go get an air pump

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in western cana...
    #3403029 - 11/24/04 10:04 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

working with perlite humidification right now. sealed container 2" perlite (soaked) with 3/4-1" h2o/h2o2 at bottom. Humidity around 95%. not sure why it is not working for you. good luck!

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Perlite Problems (Humidity) ...end of my rope [Re: theknighterrant]
    #3403741 - 11/24/04 12:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ok a perilite chamber WILL have good humidity, it WILL be higher then 78%. I can GUARENTEE that if your hygrometer hasnt read above 78% that it isn't accurate. Normal hygrometers only need to read up to 80% or so because as humans we like the humidity far less then that. I would bet you have an analog, probably one that looks like a clock. Perilite humidty may not be at 99% always depending on water and such you put in but it will always be very high..definatly higher then 78%

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Perlite Problems (Humidity) ...end of my rope [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3406991 - 11/25/04 01:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for all the input guys. I didn't check this post today or I would have saved myself the $40 I spent on an ultrasonic humidifyer. Oh well. I'll use it later on when I set up a martha's closet or something.

It turns out my hydrometer WAS shit. I got it at a pet store for 8 bucks and that seemed kinda high for a friggin humidity meter so I assumed it was good. Yes, it was an analog one. I threw the bitch out. I'll go by one of the tobacco shops Friday while I'm out and get a decent one. I've got the perlite working now I guess. I'm actually using my humidifier to do the fanning of CO2 for me. I figure when I open the chamber to fan I'll just turn it on high airflow / low mist to fan the inside. That way I know I'm getting filtered air and H20/H202 in the process. Less chance of contams than if I just waved the lid over the top a few times I guess.

Heh, it's not a total waste of 40 bucks. I've spent the last few hours using it as a trip toy. Like playing with a heavy waterfall of fog or some shit. LOL, it's so fucking cool  :laugh:

--------------------

OfflinePhalloides99
Mushroom failure
Female

Loc: Wisconsin
Humidty, hygrometer, etc [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #5241895 - 01/30/06 12:13 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

all right boys, I'm going to inoculate 12 jars pretty soon here, and I'm setting up my fruiting chamber. I know the humidity and temp have to be different when they jars are colonizing than when they are birthed and fruiting. Can anyone give me what they feel are the best temps and humidities for both colonizing anf fruiting? That'd be great.

Also, I have a shitty little $6 thermometer and a hygrometer of the same kind. Should I just burn those and buy a digital combo hygrometer/thermometer, or is it possible to get by with the shitty ones?

--------------------
~~~^~~~@

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos
Re: Humidty, hygrometer, etc [Re: Phalloides99]
    #5241900 - 01/30/06 12:16 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Phalloides, both of those questions are in the most basic of FAQs. But I suppose I'll make it easy on you for your sake.

Incubation = 82-86F temp, RH doesn't matter
Fruiting = 70-75F temp, 95-98% RH for cakes
80-85% RH for casings
(these are optimum, therefore anything close to these values will work fine as well, just not "optimum")

Also, check the dates in threads when you're using the search function or the related threads function, or else you'll end up raising the dead. This one's been dead for over a year now.

--------------------

OfflinePhalloides99
Mushroom failure
Female

Re: Humidty, hygrometer, etc [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #5246573 - 01/31/06 11:56 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

ok thanks. I've read a lot of different stuff saying way different temperatures and humidity levels, so I wanted a definitive one. I don't have enough money to experiment and do stuff wrong. And "sorry" about using old threads, just ignore it next time if it annoys you dude.

--------------------
~~~^~~~@

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humidty, hygrometer, etc [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #5247951 - 01/31/06 06:17 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

First obvious suggestion would be make sure that chamber is sealed well. Try 2" perlite 1" water and temps between 74-77F. The warmer the temp te higher the RH will be so shoot for the upper range (77F) :wink:. Also cheap hygrometers are not accurate at higher RH's FYI.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
Re: Humidty, hygrometer, etc [Re: hyphae]
    #5247969 - 01/31/06 06:22 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Who Responded to a TWO year old post.......necromancer....lol

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humidty, hygrometer, etc [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5248566 - 01/31/06 08:33 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

:banghead:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflinePhalloides99
Mushroom failure
Female

Re: Humidty, hygrometer, etc [Re: hyphae]
    #5281493 - 02/09/06 11:47 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, I inoculated 10 jars five days ago. There's no signs of growth at all. The first four days the temperature in the chamber was 74F and humidity was 99%. woops, i know. Now it's 84F and I'm having major trouble lowering the humidity. It's hovering around 90% now. I had been trying to use a heating blanket for a heat source. Doesn't work. Now I have a 'heat bomb' in there and it's working really well. How long should I wait without any signs of growth before I start getting nervous?

--------------------
~~~^~~~@

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
Re: Humidty, hygrometer, etc [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5281548 - 02/09/06 12:11 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Snaggletooth said:
Who Responded to a TWO year old post.......necromancer....lol

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains