Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Jars drying out from incubator. =(
    #3399150 - 11/23/04 05:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Do you generally have to humidify an incubator?

I had a fish tank heater set up inside a pickle jar for my heat source, because when I went to make a TiT, it seemed I had bought the wrong kind of fish tank heater. (I bought the kind that's not fully submerged)

I thought I could get away with setting up a large container of water in the middle and gathering my jars around it, but it dried out one side of all of my jars. :frown: I am willing to learn from my mistakes and make a TiT, but I am concerned that the same thing will happen unless I come up with some kind of humidification for the incubator.

Do you all generally humidify your incubator? I didn't think it was necessary, but now I am wondering... is it just the way I had it set up? Does a normal TiT set up not dry them out??

Damn, I thought I was on top of this stuff.. that's what I get for wingin' it..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: Jars drying out from incubator. =( [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3399293 - 11/23/04 05:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I always read that it is not necesarry. I dont humidify my TiT but I am a noob. The humidity must be in ur substrate. Jars are almost locked off from outside world.
To large holes in jars maybe?

Just buy a good heater m8! :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblewoodzmun
listening tonature
    #3399299 - 11/23/04 05:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have used a set up like yours successfully several times. I used a jr. aquarium heater in a Quart canning jar. I moitered the temp. in the incubator with a probe and rotated the jars weekly. What size heater did you use and what was the temp. in the incubator? Mine stayed at a constant 82 so I said close enough. It worked out alright for me, hate to hear the bad luck man. I haven't used a TiT yet but from all the posts I have seen about them I can't remember much about worrying about jars drying out and humidity problems though. Oh BTW I got my jar set up so you can turn it on its side and it doesn't leak its got a plastic lid and it's siliconed, around the cord.

Edited by woodzmun (11/23/04 06:00 PM)

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: Jars drying out from incubator. =( [Re: woodzmun]
    #3399358 - 11/23/04 06:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

woodzmun said:
I have used a set up like yours successfully several times. I used a jr. aquarium heater in a Quart canning jar. I moitered the temp. in the incubator with a probe and rotated the jars weekly. What size heater did you use and what was the temp. in the incubator? Mine stayed at a constant 82 so I said close enough. It worked out alright for me, hate to hear the bad luck man. I haven't used a TiT yet but from all the posts I have seen about them I can't remember much about worrying about jars drying out and humidity problems though. Oh BTW I got my jar set up so you can turn it on its side and it doesn't leak its got a plastic lid and it's siliconed, around the cord.

I have had a thermometer wedged right between the jars, thinking that would give an equal temperature to what the jars are getting... and it has been steady around 80 for the last couple days.. before that, it was up and down a little as I tried to find the sweet spot with heater... but I don't think it could have done any harm, as it was not a constant...

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: Jars drying out from incubator. =( [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3399367 - 11/23/04 06:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomFriend said:
I always read that it is not necesarry. I dont humidify my TiT but I am a noob. The humidity must be in ur substrate. Jars are almost locked off from outside world.
To large holes in jars maybe?

Just buy a good heater m8! :thumbup:

I used Magash's rye grain tek because of the very reason that it seemed impossible to fuck up the humidity level. (because the water is literally added by the simmering process)

The holes in the lids are about 1/4 inch, stuffed with polyfil.

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3399375 - 11/23/04 06:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Strange, maybe not enough water soaked in the grain? I really dont know maybe some xperienced dudes here with suggestions!?

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: Jars drying out from incubator. =( [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3399420 - 11/23/04 06:25 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe.. I really don't know. I have unplugged the heat source, and I'm just gonna let the jars sit for now.. hopefully they will start colonizing the half that hasn't dried out...

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

#3399905 - 11/23/04 08:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

From my limited experience I can tell you this. I have a TIT setup and just finished incubating 6 jars total. 5 colonized with no trouble. They're working great so far. 1 however id not colonize for some reason. I left it in there for about 4-5 weeks before a contam set in on it. I then took it out and when I threw it away of course I had to inspect it. I found it was pretty dried out, with really no moisture in there at all. My colonized cakes had visible moisture coming off them on the sides of the jars before I took them out. I dunked them all anyways but upon checking that extra no go cake I think dunking is imperitive. Just my experience so far.

--------------------
You've raped! I feel dirty
It hurt! As a child
Tied down! That's a good boy
And fucked! Your own child
I scream! No one hears me
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching
Mommy why?! Your own child -Korn

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Re: Jars drying out from incubator. =( [Re: Tripster]
    #3399913 - 11/23/04 08:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

p.s. - I used PF tek cakes. I see you used grain so take what I said for what you will.

--------------------
You've raped! I feel dirty
It hurt! As a child
Tied down! That's a good boy
And fucked! Your own child
I scream! No one hears me
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching
Mommy why?! Your own child -Korn

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Rye Grain