Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefishbutt
mindexpander
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under The Sea
Casing Problems!!!!
    #3397309 - 11/23/04 07:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Im about to get super frustrated!!!
I have grown cakes for a year or so... that got old and I cased a few pf  cakes a few times and was successful... now that im back into the hobby and doing it with grain (MUCH FASTER) I can get all my jars to colonize 100% no problems... Basically I have no problems what so ever incubating and getting my substrate colonized norm use WBS and/or Popcorn.  Anyways my problem comes when I case... For some reason I can't get it right and I have no idea why!!! Ive wasted like 3-5 Quart Jars on casings gone bad!!! Either it will contam or nothing will happen... its like after I add my substrate and then the verm/casing layer on top of it, it never recolonzies.  I follow the teks perfectly , im patient, and everything else and still no luck... ugh! what gives!!! Maybe I should just go back to cakes... at least it was easier in the fruiting aspect, but daaaaamn they take forever!!! Now that I can get a jar of Malabar to colonize in 6 days I think I am sticking to grains!  Oh, btw, I have only tried casing Mex Stroph... maybe they are slow or something... Oh well... im trying it again with 4 casings right now... if they fail. I may end up reverting back to the cakes :frown: If anyone has any suggestions please let me know... as far as i know im doing everything perfectly right.... :frown:

--------------------
Me, Take Shrooms???  You must be Trippin!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Casing Problems!!!! [Re: fishbutt]
    #3397334 - 11/23/04 07:47 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Try casing a cubensis man. You'll find its alot easier to get fruits.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
Re: Casing Problems!!!! [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3397352 - 11/23/04 07:52 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You're using malabar but only using stroph for casing?

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #3397692 - 11/23/04 10:00 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

mexican stropharia is cubensis. anyway, check the moisture content of your casing, when are you casing? are you properly sterilizing the casing? what are you using to case? 50/50+ or 60/40+ is really the only way to go in terms of your setup, also your incubation procedures could be a factor.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinefishbutt
mindexpander
Male User Gallery

Re: Casing Problems!!!! [Re: soochi]
    #3397887 - 11/23/04 10:56 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ok... let me clear up some confusion
1. I had alot of Stropharia which is a cube like soochi said... I had like 8 or so quarts of it just to get started like to refresh my supply... so while those were going along I acquired other strains... aka Malabar, etc. So while these are almost done... the Stroph. has been finished and I was just letting it get perfectly colonized... so.

2. I attempted casing a few of them and failed... tried 2 more failed... and now im attempting it the last time with these 4 im doing. After this ill have like 1 spawn jar of stroph.

3. I use a mixture of Verm/Peat/Mush-compost I use way more verm. than any of the others so id say a mixture of like 70/15/15 but over all its a great mix that has worked before so thats not the problem.

4. I do all my work in a sterilized room with ionizers and all air circulation is stopped an hour before work...

5. Im thinking that moisture may be my problem...but I don't think so... maybe i should just break the pieces of corn and seeds into larger chunks instead of knocking them back to tiny seed form... because once I do that they don't seem to recolonize. I hadn't looked at them until today 3 days later and the popcorns are starting to grow into the casing layer which is good... I also adjusted my temp from 90 to 85 (86 peak of optimum growth curve for cubes) so maybe that was a problem... but other than that everything is fine...

hope this clears things up
im not an idiot i just don't understand whats up!

--------------------

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3398005 - 11/23/04 11:30 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i concur with soochi, your probably keeping your casings much too wet, i find drier is better then wetter. if you have any casings that are too wet you can try to dry them out a little by letting them breathe in the incubator, if u have a fairly sterile setup.

additional edit: you may want to try a better casing mix, i would think the mush compost has too much nutes to be a good casing material, i know you said it worked before, but then again u only successfully cased a few pf cakes right? i wouldnt be so positive this isnt the problem, i like verm+coir 50/50 basically for the casing layer, and straight verm mixed with the substrate.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Edited by amyloid (11/23/04 11:35 AM)

Offlinefishbutt
mindexpander
Male User Gallery

Re: Casing Problems!!!! [Re: amyloid]
    #3399226 - 11/23/04 03:40 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah thanks for the suggestions and taking the time to read this, I appreciate it. I would def. use Coir but ive searched all over at various pet stores and lowes and HD and such and still cant find it... that why i substituted for the peat. But i know i have to buffer it and I guess ill try peatless and mushcompostless in the next batch... which im going to use malabar. Seems to me the Malabar grows sooooooo FAST! I can't believe it... and I haven't done anythign special at all.

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #3400975 - 11/23/04 10:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

also, remember to induce fruiting just as you see spikes of myc coming up through the top layer of the casing. A proper casing should not be myc laden, as this could cause overlay, you must account for the growing momentum of the mycelia. AND, definitely stick to a simple 50/50+ or 60/40+. coir is good but I have yet to have any problems with a 50/50 casing, even without the buffer.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinefishbutt
mindexpander
Male User Gallery

Re: Casing Problems!!!! [Re: soochi]
    #3424452 - 11/29/04 06:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hooray... im officially a dumbass...
i know why my casings wouldn't work... I didn't read it on the bag, but the mushroom compost that I bought has anti-fungal shit in it... DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH... thanks again for everyones help though. Im back on the fast track to success... actually im already there. Peace!

FISHBUTT

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3424646 - 11/29/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hmm.....which one am i thinkg of then that wasn't a cub?????? Now im all confused.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds