Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineschorts
a lot more and alittle less.

Loc: (roughly) portland, OR
Revisiting the Tryptophan scare of 1989
    #3397069 - 11/23/04 06:22 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

from
http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2004/11/303903.shtml

Tryptophan: A Reminder
author: CatWoman
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Maybe it's because Thanksgiving always brings on a lot of talk about turkey, which if eaten (ew) instead of allowed to live, is high in tryptophan. Or maybe it's because of the biotech book I'm reading. Whatever the reason, remember the tryptophan scare? Do you know what caused it? Chances are, you don't.
It was 1989. A mysterious outbreak of a bizarre and deadly disease began quietly enough at first. Doctors named the new disease Eosinophila Myalgia Syndrome (EMS). In some people it seemed like a bad episode of the flu, but in others it became much more severe. It caused paralysis, neurological problems, heart problems, painful muscular aches, headaches, fatigue, memory loss, cognitive defects, swollen, cracked skin, and a host of other nasty symptoms. Dozens of people actually died from it.

It made front page news when the disease was eventually traced to a popular dietary supplement, the amino acid L-Tryptophan. The FDA issued an immediate recall of all the tryptophan in the country, and instituted a ban on the importation of the supplement. Panic erupted, as millions of people had been taking Tryptophan for many years for conditions such as anxiety, depression, PMS, and insomnia. Some people worried that they, too, might get sick. Others feared that the conditions for which they had taken it would return if they could not get more.

Since people had been taking the supplement for years without any incidence of EMS prior to the 1989 outbreak, scientists were perplexed. In the end, the disease was traced to the tryptophan of just one manufacturer -- Showa Denko of Japan. If you remember this at all, you probably remember that the culprit was eventually identified as "impurities" in the Showa Denko product. According to news stories at the time, Showa Denko had recently changed its manufacturing process, and this led to the illnesses.

Most people still don't know exactly how the Showa Denko tryptophan differed from all the other brands. Officials were cagey about just exactly what was going on with the manufacturing process at this plant that caused the outbreak. Even to this day, if you look for information on the great Tryptophan scare, you are likely to find a lot of allusions to the fact that it was caused by "impurities" or by faulty manufacturing techniques, and very little mention of the one important way in which Showa Denko tryptophan was different from all the rest: It was genetically engineered.

That's right, it was the only tryptohan in the country that was bio-engineered, and the only one to kill and maim those who took it. Showa Denko had embarked upon the brave new world of biotechnology in pursuit of greater profits than ever before. While this supplement, as well as several others, had been manufactured in vats of tryptophan-producing bacteria for years, Showa Denko took this process to new heights. Deciding that the natural fermentation process was too time-consuming and inefficient, Showa Denko tinkered with the genetic structure of its bacteria to produce a new, super-productive strain. They inserted several new genes into the bacteria, causing them to produce much higher-than-normal levels of some enzymes important in the production of the supplement, as well as other enzymes not normally present at all. They were never required to inform the public of this change, nor were they required to label the supplement as being the product of genetically modified organisms.

This lack of transparency led to a difficulty tracing the problem, delaying appropriate medical responses for several months. Thousands of people eventually became ill from EMS, and dozens died. To this day, and in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, bio-tech advocates continue to deny any connection between the outbreak and the genetically altered bacteria. If the victims of this corporate crime had been given the choice between taking tryptophan that was produced in the traditional manner and that which was bio-engineered, they may never have become ill. But they were not given that choice. They were denied the right to informed consent to this experiment, and the results were disasterous. While the officially verified number of EMS victims is around 1600, the FDA concedes that "the true incidence of the disorder is thought to be much higher." Indeed, later estimates put the number of victims between 7,500 and 10,000. A simple label on the bottle might have cut that number considerably.

Why, then, are GE products still allowed to be secretly dumped into our food supply? Why are labels still not required on GE products, and why do most people still not know about the connection between the tryptophan scare and genetic engineering? Perhaps it is because the fox is guarding the hen house. The FDA, the agency charged with protecting our health and well-being, quietly admitted in 1990 that it failed to inform the public that the Showa Denko bacteria was genetically engineered. Further, it acknowledged that it had done so, in large part, to protect the fledgling biotech industry from the consequences that would surely follow such a revelation. In other words, they lied to us. They took part in a deliberate cover-up that put our health at risk in order to protect the multi-billion dollar biotech industry.

One would think that such a reckless and outrageous scandal would garner headlines at least as large as those which originally broke the story of the connection between EMS and L-Tryptophan in the first place, but they did not. The press gave it barely a whisper. The nation was left with the impression that unavoidable impurities had been the only cultprit, and that the FDA had selflessly worked in the public interest to bring an end to the crisis. Somehow, the corporate media seems to have quietly overlooked the more surly developments in the story. Could it be that the (largely biotech) pharmaceutical industry is one of the largest corporate media sponsors?

In any event, now you know what caused the tryptophan scare of 1989. But unless you're eating only organic food and taking supplements clearly labeled GE-free, you still do not know what kind of frankenFood surprises may be lurking in your pantry. The FDA continues to maintain that GE products are "substantially similar" to non-GE products, and therefore do not require labeling. They still refuse to point the finger of blame at genetic engineering for the EMS outbreak. They continue to issue proclamations of the safety and promise of biotechnology. But now you know who they work for.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: Revisiting the Tryptophan scare of 1989 [Re: schorts]
    #3399717 - 11/23/04 07:38 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

That was 1989, the early years of the biotechnology revolution. No one was eager to blacken the reputation of the new industry. Showa Denko insisted genetic engineering was not responsible for producing the unexpected and toxic contaminants. Rather, it blamed another change in its production system. The company said it had coincidentally reduced the amount of activated carbon used for purification at the same time as it introduced Strain V.

http://www.aquarianonline.com/Eco/UnnaturalHarvest.html

In one case a Showa Denko-like impurity was found in the 5-HTP. Some experts now wonder if mild, sporadic contamination has always been a problem with tryptophan and 5-HTP and/or if these nutrients may be inherently toxic.

There are, in fact, several normal products of tryptophan metabolism that, in excess, have been implicated in certain diseases, including AIDS dementia, bladder tumors, cataracts, Parkinson's disease and scleroderma.

Serotonin itself is one such toxic metabolite. Moderate peripheral excesses account for many of the side effects of tryptophan and 5-HTP. Extreme excesses are implicated in something more serious: fibrosis in the skin (scleroderma) and in the right chamber of the heart. While there have been no reports of heart fibrosis in tryptophan and 5-HTP users, sclerodermatous lesions are rare side effects -- and common symptoms of EMS.

http://www.mts.net/~baumel/ems.html

Some reports suggest that purity may a potential problem for 5-HTP as well. Researchers at the Mayo Clinic and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration have urged caution in the use of 5-HTP. In the September 1998 issue of the journal Nature Medicine (at this time the latest issue availble online is August 1998), scientists at the Mayo Clinic reported finding low levels of impurities in retail samples of some dietary supplements containing 5-HTP. One of these impurities was identified as "peak X", an impurity reported several years ago in a product containing 5-HTP that was used by two siblings who developed eosinophilia and their mother who developed the eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS). Mayo Clinic scientists notified FDA about their findings shortly before publication of this report. FDA analyzed several samples of bulk 5-HTP and finished product. FDA investigation has confirmed the presence of "peak X," as reported in the Nature Medicine article. Moreover, additional analyses by FDA, although limited in scope, found that some 5-HTP-containing dietary supplement products or ingredient sources of 5-HTP contained one or more additional impurities. No cases of EMS resulting from 5-HTP use have been reported, however.

http://depression.about.com/cs/altmed5htp/f/5htp.htm

InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

Re: Revisiting the Tryptophan scare of 1989 [Re: Great_Satan]
    #4710764 - 09/25/05 06:42 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

There's an excellent PDF file here http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/Tox-2003-28.PDF
which shows the chemical structures of the contaminants found in tryptophan (page 7). It appears it requires acetaldehyde to produce the 1,1'-ethylidenebis[tryptophan]. Note that you can make 1-methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-beta-carboline-3-carboxylic acid (MTCA) from tryptophan and acetaldehyde via the well known Pictet-Spengler reaction.

I found this on PubMed. Note the discussion on acetaldehyde.

1: Arch Toxicol. 1993;67(4):284-9. Related Articles, Links

Metabolism and distribution in the rat of peak E substance, a constituent in L-tryptophan product implicated in eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome.

Adachi J, Naito T, Ueno Y, Ogawa Y, Ninomiya I, Tatsuno Y.

Department of Legal Medicine, Kobe University School of Medicine, Japan.

Peak E substance, 1,1'-ethylidenebis[tryptophan], a contaminant found in L-tryptophan tablets, has been suggested as a causative agent for eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS). Peak E substance (50 mg/kg) was administered perorally to Wistar rats to determine its metabolism and distribution. A purification procedure using Bond Elut C8 cartridges followed by HPLC was developed for the determination of peak E substance. The plasma concentration of peak E substance was 136 ng/ml at 1 h, and urinary excretion was 717 ng at 5 h and 10342 ng for 5-24 h, showing slow excretion of peak E substance into urine. The amount of peak E substance in the contents of the large intestine at 5 h, however, was 3136 micrograms, much greater than urinary excretion for 24 h, indicating considerable transfer of peak E substance to large intestine without decomposition by gastric fluid in the stomach. We have detected for the first time not only the occurrence of peak E substance in plasma and urine, but also 1-methyl-tetrahydro-beta-carboline-3-carboxylic acid (MTCA) in blood and organs of rats treated with peak E substance, thereby suggesting MTCA as one of the the metabolites of peak E substance. The amount of MTCA in the contents of the large intestine as well as in urine of rats treated with peak E substance was significantly greater than in L-tryptophan-treated rats (50 mg/kg p.o.), demonstrating that MTCA was more readily produced from peak E substance than from L-tryptophan. Finally, we propose acetaldehyde-induced production of MTCA from peak E substance.

PMID: 8517785 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Offlinegregorio
Stranger

Loc: NapTown
Re: Revisiting the Tryptophan scare of 1989 [Re: schorts]
    #4713150 - 09/26/05 10:12 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I remember that one very well and it scared the hell out of me. I used to take it for insomnia, and it did help somewhat. It made me stop taking it and I havn't took it since.

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Revisiting the Tryptophan scare of 1989 [Re: gregorio]
    #4713306 - 09/26/05 11:21 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

GE owns something like 11,000 patents, many of those are genetically altered seeds, along with natural seeds.

They are slowly gaining control of our food supply.

--------------------
music: myspace.com/soundscientists
I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf.

No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Revisiting the Tryptophan scare of 1989 [Re: kotik]
    #4713632 - 09/26/05 12:55 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

So basically, they never conclusively determined the problem with the Showa Denko tryptophan. So the author's conclusion was: "Well since we never found out exactly what the problem was, it must be due to the genetic engineering process".

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP

General Interest >> Political Discussion