Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Sounds silly, but you never know
    #3396867 - 11/23/04 02:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, so I was watching Mythbusters the other day, waiting for them to blow something up of course, and they took on the myth that talking to plants helps them grow. They built 7 small greenhouses, one had no sound, 2 had people saying mean things, 2 had people saying nice things, 1 had classical music and the last had heavy metal music playing. In the end they were able to show that it didn't matter what was said to the plants. As a big surprise to them the one that had loud heavy metal music playing showed much greater growth than all of the rest. So what I was thinking is that this was mostly do to the vibrations stimulating growth while not being so strong that it had to waste energy healing itself. If this is true would the same rule apply to mushies? If it would then someone could do something as simple as adding a vibration motor to the frame of the casing shelves. Just a idea, any thoughts on if this could work?

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: Sounds silly, but you never know [Re: MadHatR]
    #3396873 - 11/23/04 02:22 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think a fungus would react to music, this is all hearsay and naysay though, no real grounds for thinking it wouldn't work :lol:

--------------------

Offlinedmc_

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Sounds silly, but you never know [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3396927 - 11/23/04 02:55 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

plants are probably utilizing the CO2 emissions from people talking, which are making them grow better.

Too much CO2 wouldnt help the fleshy fungi fruit any.

Interesting read though.

Offlinetripman
Wanting to trip

Loc: Earth
    #3396942 - 11/23/04 03:02 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MadHatR said:
1 had classical music and the last had heavy metal music playing. 

I dont think speakers breathe :smile:

--------------------
To change your mind only shows that you still have one.

OfflineRootedGrowth
Grain Apprentice
 User Gallery
Re: Sounds silly, but you never know [Re: tripman]
    #3396946 - 11/23/04 03:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

LOL @ Tripman, thats some funny shit!

--------------------
Death is a reason to live

Offlinedmc_

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Sounds silly, but you never know [Re: tripman]
    #3396949 - 11/23/04 03:04 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

tripman said:
I dont think speakers breathe :smile:

LITTLE DO YOU KNOW! MWAHAHAHAH  :crazy2:

Offlinetripman
Wanting to trip

Loc: Earth
Re: Sounds silly, but you never know [Re: dmc_]
    #3396956 - 11/23/04 03:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Lol what the hell was I thinkin :smile:

--------------------
To change your mind only shows that you still have one.

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3397203 - 11/23/04 06:19 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I think this has some credibility to it.

I could see how it may be of some use, but I don't think during fruiting. I think maybe more in the time of colonization slight vibration might help by slightly stirring the substrate around.. although on the other hand it could shake it until it packs itself into the bottom of the jar, giving the opposite reaction.

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Sounds silly, but you never know [Re: Silven]
    #3397868 - 11/23/04 10:48 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well as far as CO2, they addressed that issue, stating that someone actually talking to the plants would effect the CO2 levels, so all of them were done with boom boxes and recorded looping CDs. I am thinking Berry White music would work best though, gets enough humans in the mood. :smile: As long as the vibration wasn't so hard that it caused the myc to have to spend all of it's time repairing itself it may actually stimulate growth. I mean the one that had loud heavy metal music, which has a lot of bass in it, grew much bigger and healthier than all the others.

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3397899 - 11/23/04 10:59 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

there was a thread in advanced probably like a year ago talking about this, there is apparently some study this guy did on plants that says they grow better with this certain wavelength present, its the same as a cricket i believe. much too lazy to look it up for you. but thought youd like a direction to do more research. there is no reason to beleive mushrooms wouldnt react to sound as far as im concerned, just like there is no reason to beleive that plants wouldnt react to sound. most major scientific discoveries sounded really stupid before they were discovered. 'so what your saying is, the world is actually a sphere....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA'

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Sounds silly, but you never know [Re: amyloid]
    #3397944 - 11/23/04 11:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yep, you just never know sometimes what will work. Usually we just try and simulate the natural environment, this would mean that we would not go pouring a cup of coffee in our soil or rye, but hey it seems to work so you just never know. Most new idea's are just stumbled upon and then researched in reverse as to why it works and how to improve it.

--------------------

OfflineYourNameHere
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Loc: God's Sub-concious
    #3398508 - 11/23/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm thinking that it definitely could help mushrooms to have a vibration motor or side-to-side vibration system. It would very slightly stress the flesh of the stems causing it to pack on the bulk and be nice and meaty.
But of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.

--------------------
Anything posted by me on this or any forum of communication is solely for entertainment value and should not be taken seriously.

"It was nicely done"
-Lt. Scott Rhoemer <----Referring to a Cannabis cultivation location and setup. Click avatar.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Sounds silly, but you never know [Re: YourNameHere]
    #3399046 - 11/23/04 02:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yep, I am thing about tearing apart my old Martha and tossing some motors from a broken xbox controller inside the PVC pipes that it is made of and give it a try.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract