Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Diablo 3

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinesDariuSs
BakeyBakerton
Loc: Cols, OH
Anarchy Online
    #3396634 - 11/23/04 03:00 AM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Has anyone here played or heard of Anarchy Online?  I hear constant talk of WoW and EQ2 and while I do value the concepts of both games (and haven't played either)... I've been playing Anarchy Online now for a good 6-7 months and I'm a level 45 beaurocrat with hopes of one day getting to level 200 with my groups of 6 generally with option of joining a guild.  I've always been a loner though so I've kept this notion in the game and I must say, if you haven't look into it, please check this game out... I don't want to have to cancel my AO subscription to switch over to the more popular WoW... it just keeps the complexity of Anarchy Online is something very unparalleled.  Can anyone tell me otherwise?  :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: Anarchy Online [Re: sDariuSs]
    #3396641 - 11/23/04 03:01 AM (12 years, 14 days ago)

i played on the beta and was so disgusted ive never given it a second glance :P

WoW baby

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: Anarchy Online [Re: Kremlin]
    #3396650 - 11/23/04 03:03 AM (12 years, 14 days ago)

sounds disgustingly bad.

--------------------

OfflinesDariuSs
BakeyBakerton
Re: Anarchy Online [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3396788 - 11/23/04 03:45 AM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Well, granted the beta WAS terrible... however, in ~4-5 years the engine and coding has come a VERY long way, I would highly recommend anyone try out the free 7-day trial or even 30-day trial that they have every once in awhile... it's a VERY deep, and FUN game from all I've had nothing but good fun while playing this game... if anyone's interested to join, please let me know, I would be more than happy to help you out... MMORPG in the future... nothing more fun for those of you obsessed with nano-technology  :smile:

OfflinesDariuSs
BakeyBakerton
    #3396800 - 11/23/04 03:50 AM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Blizzard and will buy WoW very soon because of my dedication to the company (in the WoW post, quoting baraka: some of my friends still play Diablo). That's me ;-) Been playing Diablo II over a LAN like it was going out of style (that doesn't make sense, I realize)... but yeah, WoW defintley has my full respect, but from all the things I've read... it's not something that people are going to keep playing for too long once they've gotten a high level character and done all of the main quest-type objectives. If this is going to be a never-ending war though... sign me up because I'm all about ending a never-ending war ;-)

InvisibleBuddahKillah
U WANTFITE!?!?!?!?!?!

#3398420 - 11/23/04 03:03 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

My friend used to play Anarcy Online back in the day. I stuck to Ultima Online though. Both good games.

OfflineSilven
I trip,therefore weare.

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3398479 - 11/23/04 03:13 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Eh, I don't like the limitations of the graphical games.

Gemstone IV is the way I choose to go, and let my imagination do the visual descripting.

Anarchy Online doesn't have shit on Gemstone when it comes to complexity.. then again, I don't think any graphical MMORPG does.  They only have graphics and limited AI for their monsters...

I just find these games so addicting that I have to tell myself I can't play them.  Last time I played Gemstone I had to sell my character to make myself quit.  Though I made over $600 on ebay for it. :lol:

On Topic:  World of Warcraft looks amazing. :eek:

--------------------
Born: 10/31/83, which makes me a Scorpio.

1) Scorpios are the most highly sexed of all the signs of the zodiac.
2) Scorpios are prone to excesses: booze, drugs, sex, bad puns, etc.
They usually exploit the weaknesses of others, who fall victim to
their capacity for total lust & sexual abberation.
3) Scorpios possess great intellectual curiosity & creative talent. They
think they are rebels & are arrogant, proud, conceited, and worth every
penny of it.

What do you bring to the table?

OfflinesDariuSs
BakeyBakerton
Re: Anarchy Online [Re: Silven]
    #3410165 - 11/26/04 12:08 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Never played Gemstone but guessing from the graphical representation talk that it's a text game ;-) and yes, I know many text games are extremelly advanced... but to look at a game and play it is entirely different... don't get me wrong I played NetHack (and still MUD from time to time) for a good 4 years solid... still never finished that damn game. But you might be suprised as to the complexity of AO... it's not just "get armor, weapons and items and roll!".. between building implants, building nano-crystals and building your own territory (builings and towers and whatnot)... there's a LOT going on in the game... and it's definitely one of the better fanbases I've been a part of. ;-) Just saying, if you're bored, try that free 7-day trial shit they've got... "but don't take MY word on it..."

=--Reading Rainbow, beotches--=

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
    #3427203 - 11/30/04 11:40 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

heh darius get WoW. I was skeptical of the game at first but im addicted now. we play on stormrage east.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: Anarchy Online [Re: baraka]
    #3427277 - 11/30/04 12:08 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

i used to play AO when it first came out, for about 6 months. i loved that game, but couldn't afford a monthly subscription (the same reason i dont have WoW yet..)

shadowlands was trippy as hell, and the game itself is just really fun. i think they should redo their graphics engine though.. then they'd be competing with the 'new generation' of games comin' out.

but yeah, AO is awesome :thumbup:

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

OfflineSinisteruproar
Killer
    #3429550 - 11/30/04 09:18 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

how do i get it?

--------------------
Im the Neck Cutta And im 2 blocks away

OfflinesDariuSs
BakeyBakerton
Re: Anarchy Online [Re: Sinisteruproar]
    #3444318 - 12/04/04 02:14 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Yeah redoing the graphics engine really might just as well be a new project entirely.  Making things run a little more smoothly, as with any mmorpg, and crisping the graphics would definitely make it a lot better... but I think the complexity of the whole thing could keep me interested for a looong time.  Always creating new implants and finding new groups to join with.  And hell, GridStream radio - the unofficial AO radio station - is a hell of an example of how huge the game is.  I see WoW is coming out with it's own radio station too  :smile:  Saw some advertisement for DJ-wannabes if anyone wants to DJ for WoW.  If I had that kind of time on my hands... wow.

OfflinesDariuSs
BakeyBakerton
Re: Anarchy Online [Re: Sinisteruproar]
    #3444328 - 12/04/04 02:17 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

If you've got a high-speed connection you can just download (1.4 GB I think) it online. www.anarchy-online.com You don't have to pay any more than like $15 to play and if I remember you don't even have to pay that... that's the monthly payment if you do per-month payments... and I believe that's all you've got to pay to begin playing it after like a 7 (or if you're lucky, 30) day free-trial. (still need a cred. card to get the game though). OTHERWISE, I dunno if you can find it at Best Buy anymore... I'd imagine so but if not... I got it at one of those used bookstore places that also sells cds and software and shit. Clearanced for $10 ;-)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Diablo 3

Community >> The Pub