Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Boletus Areus (Queen Bolete)... Pix
    #3395561 - 11/22/04 08:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I found some Bolete's today. I can't key them to a different species other than edulis or areus. Im leaning more towards the Queen Bolete for FOUR reasons:

1) The younger specimen has white pores
2) The older specimen has a cracked cap, which is darker in color than regular eduls.
3) Edulis grows only under pine, and I found this uder oak.
4) Queen bolete's have the fine whitesh "bloom" on the caps.

So here are the pictures. I wasnt even mushroom hunting today. I thought they were rocks at first, but, I dug them up, and they were beauiful BOLETE's!

And a picture of some sort of Amanita (maybe not). I found it, and the cap was SHINING like a metallic ball. It was crazy looking. Notice that it doesnt have any gills.... creepy?

And Stropharia growing on woodchips

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Boletus Areus (Queen Bolete)... Pix [Re: angryshroom]
    #3395677 - 11/22/04 08:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

very beautiful pictures!!

:sun:
Psily

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Boletus Areus (Queen Bolete)... Pix [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3395780 - 11/22/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Very pretty angryshroom. :thumbup:

Your Amanita is normal. The reason why you can't see the gill is because they are still covered by the veil which falls at maturity and forms an annulus.

Looks like you've got yourself a death cap there! :eek:

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #3396145 - 11/22/04 10:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

nice photos angry

DH

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3396858 - 11/23/04 02:13 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Of the features you mentioned to distinguish between B. edulis and B. aereus, the only one that I think is actually different is the habitat one. I regularly find B. edulis with white pores (when very young) and bloom on the cap. But B. edulis definitely grows under conifers and B. aereus under broadleaf trees, so that should make them easier to distinguish. The only other features that seem usable are chemical (B. edulis flesh stains with FeSO4 and B. aereus doesn't) and the spores of B. edulis are larger.

Nice Amanita specimen.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Boletus Areus (Queen Bolete)... Pix [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3397585 - 11/23/04 09:24 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks ToxicMan, I was hoping you'd chime in.

Unfortuently, I do not have a microscope, nor do I have any FeSO4, so I guess im outta luck.

I know in my area, you can only find King Bolete's under confiers. Now, I cant remember if the tree I found them growing under was an oak or something else...:/

I tired a little bite off the stem, and they dont taste bittery/peppery at all, nor do they taste much like anything right now. They are in the fridge, Im thinking about slicing them up and drying them until I get back from my thanksgiving "vacation".

Any good recipies would be helpful too :laugh:

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3397604 - 11/23/04 09:31 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I just sliced the big one up, and took a nice peice off from the inside stem. Wow...taste GREAT!!

Im drying out the big one, as part of the pores were starting to become a little brown. The pores actually look really in great condition.

WE've had some dry COLD weather here, so I think it was great for the boletes. They arent all soggy and stuff.

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #3398047 - 11/23/04 11:43 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Those are some really sweet looking specimens, good thing you noticed them! The photos are amazing.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3398380 - 11/23/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Fortunately, both B. edulis and B. aereus are choice edibles, so there are no gastronomical consequences for misidentifications.

I have never had to deal with that particular problem personally, as B. aereus has not been recorded from Colorado.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract