Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
poop isn't colonizing
    #3394539 - 11/21/04 08:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

its been about 5 weeks and the poop isn't colonizing. what's wrong? will the poop look like the jars once its colonized (that is, full of myc). i know it should but nothing is happening. temps aren't too high, mid 70s ish. i stirred the poop last week too.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinealisia
Stranger
Re: poop isn't colonizing [Re: TODAY]
    #3394593 - 11/21/04 08:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

stirred the poop??? It would be helpfull to us reading what you did with the poop? Did you spawn a cake to it?
What ive found with poop is after pastaurizing it i sqeeeeeze access water from it before spawning the grated up cake or WBS to it. TO much water hinders and can stop growth. My first poop grow i pastuarized rained and it didnt grow. All grows since i squeezed the water from it.. *shrug* what did you do?

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: poop isn't colonizing [Re: alisia]
    #3394841 - 11/21/04 09:26 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i pasturized poop, cardboard, and verm. then i added 5 pints of crumbled brf cakes to the mix and mixed it up good. a couple weeks later i could see spots growing on the top layer but they never really got much bigger so i mixed it up and a week later hear i am w/ no growth. i didn't squeeze the water out, i thought it had to be wet for it to colonize.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

Offlinedjred

#3395016 - 11/21/04 10:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

seems like your drowned the myc..?

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #3395027 - 11/21/04 10:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

too thick a concentration...Add some straw in there and you will have it all white in no time!

you should put that outside in ground enless temp does not allow. freeze it till spring? hehe but try again and add straw--its so simple!!!

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlinedjred

Re: poop isn't colonizing [Re: dobinky]
    #3395063 - 11/21/04 10:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

going out to my moms she has moo moo's all over everywhere you look.unlimited supply..lol..i think i might doa bulk grow with some wbs. why limit myself to a small project ...

Offlinejonas

Re: poop isn't colonizing [Re: djred]
    #3395567 - 11/22/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thats my theory on growing shrooms, if you're going to do it, go for the gusto and do a bulk grow and get a whole bunch of shrooms. But yeah, if you can't find straw, which really shouldn't be all that hard to get, you could get some vermiculite and peat moss. Sterilize that and add it to the mix, that'll help make the substrate less dense and allow the myc colonize if it isnt already drowned.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #3397719 - 11/23/04 10:08 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

fresh poop needs to be leached before using (look it up) you more than likely drowned the myc, straw should be used with poop, although I've had success with straight poo, i dont recommend it. Was your poo sterilized? lay down the the crumbled cakes in alternating layers of poo/straw next time. and case!

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: poop isn't colonizing [Re: soochi]
    #3398563 - 11/23/04 01:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

leaching doesn't have anything to do with drowning the myc though, leeching is adding water and draining to get rid of ammonia and such from the poop right? the poop is from the garden store and says composted steer manure. i pasturized it, not sterilized.

i'm pretty sure the poo was just too thick/compact. it also didn't help that i used brf to spawn, and only 5 pints of it. i've moved to grains though now so i'll get a better spawn coverage next time. also next time i'm not going to even try without straw.

well thanks for the help, i'm gonna leave it another week and see what happens. if nothing happens would it be a good idea to add equal parts straw, pasturize, and then just transfer the excess to another bin and go for two grows after adding spawn? or should i throw out the poop and use new poop? also, how wet is the poop supposed to be when you add spawn? its supposed to be moist but not runny right?

thanks!

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

OfflineIamthewalrus
every evening Idied and everynight I wasreborn
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #3398666 - 11/23/04 01:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

is it a more like mud than poo?...I've used composted cow manure that just would not colonize cause the myc could not get through it...fresh poo(horse is the best because of its texture) leeched and dried before pasteurization works best...I use shredded straw and verm as well...I had problems with straight horse poo and creeper strain but it had no probs doing shredded straw, ground horse poo and 1/2 verm

OfflineDig
Stranger
Re: poop isn't colonizing [Re: Iamthewalrus]
    #3398993 - 11/23/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Just a thought about the cow manure... many ranchers and feed lots feed their cattle grain treated with anti-fungal agents to reduce the rate of natural PC.

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #3398997 - 11/23/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

This can happen with poo if your inexperienced with it or have some bad shit :hellfire:
No joke some poo just isn't going to work on mushrooms. Adding alot of peatmoss and vermiculte along with staw and wood shavings hepls it out alot. Now if you were using store bought or bagged poo, then i know exactly why it didn't colonize, you got some product that isn't up to snuff for mush growing. This happens more oftern than not with store bought bagged poo and compost :frown:

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: poop isn't colonizing [Re: psilocybinjunkie]
    #3399023 - 11/23/04 02:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ok i just read that u got it from a store. Thats why it isn't working for you. Trust me my friend has had many succeses using poo, like 4oz dried first flushes, but he has had so many failures when trying to use store bought manure. HE infact has never been able to have it colonize the store products although some at the shroomery have had succes with some bagged products. So my advice for you would be quite wasting your good cakes on that store bunk that is no good for mushrooms, they wont colonize it atleast.
Sorry to hear about this it always sucks...
Ps. poo should colonize completly by 2 weeks 3 if things are not optimal. No way 5 weeks. I'm suprised that there aren't contams in there by now.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

#3399449 - 11/23/04 04:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Iamthewalrus, its not mud, its wet but no way the consistency of mud. i really do believe that it didn't work because of the compactness of the poop, although, brf cakes are pretty compact too. there were spots of colonization on the top layer after a couple weeks but they never really spread out any more than the spaced out clumps they were.

PsilocybinJunkie...i don't know why bagged poo should cause a colonization failure. it just doesn't make sense to me. maybe like Dig said, the cows were fed anti-fungal grains, but there was some colonization before it stopped spreading so i think i should discount that fact.

so where do you all get your poop if you don't get it bagged from the stores?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #3400927 - 11/23/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

composted steer manure= The problem.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
Re: poop isn't colonizing [Re: soochi]
    #3401760 - 11/24/04 01:12 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i am cultivating with composted store bought manure with no problems

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds