Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
sterilizing jars without a pressure cooker
    #3394631 - 11/21/04 10:42 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

well this is my first grow where i have to prepare the substrate. i normally use mycobags but i thought, "what the hell? why pay money for something i could prepare in a few hours?" not that mycobag isn't a good product, but i think it will be more beneficial, for me, if i learn to do this on my own. so anyway, i am the using the old pftek, with a substrate consisting of freshly floured BR and medium grade vermiculite....i plan on loosely filling the jars to the tapered area...this area will be wiped and filled with dry verm. then. rubber side up, loosen jar bands, cover with tape and foil tops...i believe that's pretty much the rundown. but the only problem i'm encountering is a lack of a pressure cooker. i have heard it can be done just using a regular pot with a tightly fitting lid but i was wondering if someone could give me a detailed description of the sterilization procedure when using a basic pot? the only real thing i'm worried about is the jars cracking by sitting on the bottom of the hotpot. i don't have a pot net, but would a folded rag help keep the glass from breaking? anyone have any tips or advice to help me sterilize my canning jars?

thanks for any help or replies :stoned:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelargosnook
2 glassesicewaddawiddice
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gettin' Lucky in Kentucky
Re: sterilizing jars without a pressure cooker [Re: Psilostylin]
    #3394638 - 11/21/04 10:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

boil for about 1.5 hrs and make certain the jars are not directly on the bottom of the pan. fill water when needed

Offlinefreethaweed
Stranger

Re: sterilizing jars without a pressure cooker [Re: largosnook]
    #3395076 - 11/22/04 12:18 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

An old rug will certainly help to keep the glass away from breaking itself. I use that sterilization procedure and never got a broken pot.
peace!

Offlinerocknliam
happy willowdweller
 User Gallery

Re: sterilizing jars without a pressure cooker [Re: freethaweed]
    #3395170 - 11/22/04 12:46 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I used this about 8 days ago, i used a whole towel, put that into a large pot, and filled it untill there was about 1cm of water above the towel. I then put a lid on and boiled it for 1.5hrs, i kept adding water every half hour to every 15mins depending on how much water was lost to evaporation.
So far, my cakes show good signs on colonization, and thus far, no signs of any contams. But i have heard of people loosing all their jars this way.

Edited by rocknliam (11/22/04 12:47 AM)

Offlinezorak
Stranger
Re: sterilizing jars without a pressure cooker [Re: rocknliam]
    #3422131 - 11/29/04 04:44 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have one of those metal vegetable steamer things. it's like a metal plate sorta thing that folds out, with holes in it for steam, and on the bottom theres a few little points where it points down, like feet sorta, so that the main part of it where the vegetables (or in my case, jars) are resting isn't directly touching the bottom of the pan. but since the little feet things that touch the bottom are metal and are connected to the main part, would that part heat up too hot and break the glass? or would it be safe to use?

p.s. - im stoned as fuck and i don't know if that post made any sense, by try to decipher it for me

Offlinekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Re: sterilizing jars without a pressure cooker [Re: zorak]
    #3422209 - 11/29/04 06:40 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

That would be fine since the bulk of the plate rests in boiling water and takes on it's temperature. Those little feet conduct almost no heat in comparison to the volume of water. I use a homemade separator plate to do the same thing. It's a piece of scrap metal with holes in it, resting on three screws. Much like the seperator plate in a pressure cooker. Works just fine.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation