Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Consistent WBS Colonization Problems
    #3393716 - 11/21/04 06:57 PM (13 years, 8 hours ago)

I have been having a problem with my grains colonizing completely after being shake. I have been using regular "WBS" purchased from Wal-Mart and other chain stores. It consists of two types of millet, milo, sorghum and sunflower seeds. The WBS is first rinsed then soaked in water overnight to activate any endospores that may be present and to absorb moisture. After 18-24 hours the grains are poured into a colander and rinsed again with hot water. Water is placed into a clean stock pot and brought to the boiling point. The WBS is added to this boiling water and simmered for 45 minutes while being stirred constantly. This is then poured into the colander and rinsed a final time with hot water. I stir the grains up as much as possible during this step to remove any microorganisms and their spores and to remove excess starch that causes the grains to stick together. 1h15m @ 15psi in the pressure cooker for sterilization. The heat is turned off and allowed to cool to regular pressure and the stopcock is removed. The jars are removed, shaken, and placed into a sanitized Rubbermaid container to cool. When the jars are cool they are inoculated and incubated.

I usually shake the jars after sterilization, immediately before inoculating, immediately after inoculating, and then as I see mycelia growing. Stamets talks about breaking the grain up the night before you plan to use it for spawn and letting the mycelia recolonize. Each time that I break the mycelial lump up after 40+% (approx) colonization it never grows back what so ever. Any known solutions for this problem?

If I don't shake it past the third or forth day of growth it always colonizes fully and contam free. It's not that big of a deal since I can just open the colonized jar and use a spoon to scoop it out for spawn. But if I can, i'd like to solve the problem.

ThX

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Consistent WBS Colonization Problems [Re: SoopaX]
    #3395222 - 11/22/04 07:54 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I dont really understand the problem..if the jars are fully colonized when you dont shake the then dont shake them..you shouldnt need to shake but once or twice anyway. Then scoop out with a spoon. Colonized rye sticks together damn well and you can't shake it apart when 100% colonized so you have to scoop it out..I don't know if WBS is the same or exactly what your wondering aobut..I think thats why you got no other replys as well.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Consistent WBS Colonization Problems [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3407612 - 11/25/04 11:32 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If I shake at 40% colonization, the mycelia doesn't grow back. It doesn't contaminate, but it doesn't grow back.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Consistent WBS Colonization Problems [Re: SoopaX]
    #3407805 - 11/25/04 01:12 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Read this It works.

:grin:WBS :grin: No simmer is needed.

Just soak (12+ to 36 hours), rinse, load, add tyvek filter, lid ( at least two 1/4 inch holes - in lid) & PC. Shake while hot - right out of the PC (after it has cooled a bit). Store until cool.

Innoc (1 squirt down center,1 squirt in each corner), (don't shake after innoc), let it colonize. No need to shake.

Doing so only batters the Myc. It takes TIME to heal & grow again.

Just let it colonize naturaly.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Consistent WBS Colonization Problems [Re: agar]
    #3407849 - 11/25/04 01:25 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I know tha with some strains you should be careful when you shake b/c you can damage the tissue (Pans) But i'm not sure on what other strains, Gl

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation