Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB Flag
insomnia
    #3367844 - 11/16/04 07:47 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

at what point should i seek medical attention / take something to remedy this? Having gotten 7 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours, and i suspect the number will look something like 10 hours in 72 hours soon.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Re: insomnia [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #3367921 - 11/16/04 08:19 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Wow...that's not a lot of sleep. I suffer from insomnia, but not as bad as you. I take about 450mg valerian root in capsules every night, and have done for the last 3 months. I think I'm developing a tolerance now though, they don't work as well anymore.

Don't drink tea/coffee, I've recently quit all caffeine and it helped a bit.

If you go to the doc, I can't see what he can do except give you valium or something...I didn't really want to do that.

Sounds like you should do something about it though, that's some serious sleep deprivation you got there. Try some valerian, it will probably help for a while. You can probably find it at your health food store or on the net if not. I've no idea if there's any permanent solution that doesn't involve drugs, though, I'm looking for one too.

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
Re: insomnia [Re: deafpanda]
    #3367977 - 11/16/04 08:36 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

A fellow shroomerite just recommended valerian to me in conjunction with romana chamomille(?) Tea. I have yet to check it out but apparently he possesses the same sort of restless mind that i do and always have and it works like a charm for him :smile:

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
    #3369468 - 11/16/04 03:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Deafpanda made a good point. Say goodbye to caffeine, or any stimulants for that matter.

Stop focusing on trying to get to sleep.

If you are in the same room where you sleep, or lay in your bed watching TV, you will most likely have more problems getting to sleep.

Do you like dreaming? Tell yourself the quicker you get to sleep, the quicker the fun begins.

I personally suck at mathematics (english major), and sometimes I count prime numbers, and some nights by the time I get to 13 I'm asleep.

Have you tried meditation? This also has worked for me. Form a comfortable symbol in your mind and associate it with falling asleep, regular breathing patterns, a state of calm.

Try 'un'-focusing on nothing. I don't know if it makes sense or not, but if you're having racy thoughts that prevent you from sleeping, focus on the blackness of your closed eyes, then focus the blackness to an infinitesimally small point. Close off your heartbeat to your mind, and let all be one.

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: insomnia [Re: Adden]
    #3374959 - 11/17/04 03:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have not slept more than once for 7 1/2 weeks...

--------------------

Invisiblen_tara
Stranger

Loc: Canada
    #3375317 - 11/17/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I always find that I fall asleep the easiest when I pretend I'm asleep. I imagine there's somebody in the room waiting for me to slip up so they can prove I'm awake and I focus all my attention on keeping my breathing really even and staying really still. It sounds stupid but unless I'm incredibly hyped up it helps a lot and when I am I don't think anything short of a tranquilizer would work anyway.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3376175 - 11/17/04 07:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

What everyone else said about cutting out caffeine. Also don't drink alcohol before going to bed. Actually, I wouldn't recommend eating or drinking anything at least four hours prior to bedtime. Do you exercise? If you don't I would start. Do some kind of exercise for 20-30 min a day. That will burn off a hell of a lot of spare energy and you should be tired by bedtime. (Just don't do it in the hours before bedtime or you'll body will still be revved up.)

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: insomnia [Re: Jellric]
    #3377470 - 11/18/04 01:32 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

keep in mind insomnia is jus tthe lose of REM (think its calle dthat), its when your eyes do the funky chicken when your in deep sleep. but im sure thats common knowledge. for me nothing has really worked great, i sleep decent now. possibly due to the fact im trying to stop drinking. its been rough but i have actually gotten more sleep, although still only about 4 hours a night. i find reading to work decent. i too found valerian pills to stop workign their magic after time. although im going to try growing my own and trying it like so. excercise is a good one.

basically for me its more important to tire myself out mentally than physically. i can stay up for weeks watching tv or going on the computer while working full time and be physically wiped right out. but if my head aint sleepy theres no way its going to slow down enough,

its a tricky thing that pisses the fuck outa me. it seems that in stuborn cases everyone has tehir own little trick to get them through. i dunno what to say for you but try everything that has been mentioned while trying things you think up. but insomnia makes for a great partier.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: insomnia [Re: kadakuda]
    #3377600 - 11/18/04 02:52 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I lie in bed one night, and a noise woke me as soon as I started to drift off to sleep. I thought nothing of it and drifted on back down the river of dreams... When I was awakened by another noise, barking dog this time. This seemed to keep happening over and over, at least ten times that night.

Since then, something in my brain feels "broken". There is a painful sensation whenever the 20-minute-falling-asleep-cycle, whatchamacallit, is interrupted. The pain is somewhere deep in the left side of my head. Whenever I try to fall asleep, it seems to be working. And then I catch myself falling asleep, and instinctively wake myself up! It is an infuriating problem that I have had for almost two months now.

The strange thing is, lack of sleep does not seem to be affecting me very much. I am not tired during the day and I can stay up all night and feel fine in the morning... Sometimes.

Then there are other times where I feel like something is so wrong with me that I jsut want to beat my head against the wall until sweet unconsciousness envelopes me. I can lean back in my computer chair right now and start to fall asleep, but sure enough...

... five minutes later I am awake again with that pain in my skull. Shitty, but not that shitty...

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: insomnia [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3377632 - 11/18/04 03:14 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

thats just beezar.  im glad i aint got no pains.  but i hear ya on that sometimes good sometimes bad.  i dont mind it so much except for driving.  its really unsafe for me to drive every now and then so sometimes my drive home takes a couple hours...gotta nap if i can.  in a way caffiene can be a good thing, ephedra too :wink:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: insomnia [Re: kadakuda]
    #3378017 - 11/18/04 06:25 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Valerian Root, Chamomile and Hops all sound like good herbal treatments. You may want to try relaxation and visualization drills too. When I was an amateur athelete, I had a hard time sleeping before competitions until I learned visualization. When I really need to fall asleep, I just visualize myself sleeping and usually fall asleep pretty quickly.
If you are not experiencing REM you may want to try melatonin supplement. There are also a couple more herbs that may help with REM. If you want to see someone for this, see an herbalist.

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #3378070 - 11/18/04 06:48 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i have insomnia pretty bad...but i would really say i "suffer" from it though. there are times where it really gets to me, like when i stay awake for a few days at a time, but other than that if i get my 3 hours of sleep im good to go. weird huh? i got it checked out one time, and they said REM sleep behavior disorder....

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3380485 - 11/18/04 04:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

evilnick said:
at what point should i seek medical attention / take something to remedy this? Having gotten 7 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours, and i suspect the number will look something like 10 hours in 72 hours soon.

You need to see a certified health professional immediately. That is a dangerously intense insomnia. I have had insomnia since I was 16. To this day I never, ever get a full nights rest. I sleep for maybe 3-4 hours, I work, sleep for another 2 hours, enjoy my leisure time through the entire night, sleep another 3 hours or so and then work again. All my sleep debt is paid off in long naps. If at all I ever get a good nights rest, it's on a weekend or something when my body eventually just breaks down and I pass out for a good 14 hours.

--------------------

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB
Re: insomnia [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3382771 - 11/19/04 02:09 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

sadly i have to get up in 3.5 hours to go to school, but i have been able to take afternoon naps lately. Not today though :frown:

i drink coffee and tea, but very rarely after noon, unless i'm drinking alcohol.

zahudulallah, you describe my life.

--------------------

Folding@home Statistics
    #3383035 - 11/19/04 06:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i'm going to a doctor today, i honestly can't live like this anymore. in the last 24 hours i got 3 hours of sleep. It hurts i want to sleep so bad.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3390235 - 11/20/04 06:03 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You're gonna end up lookin like your avatar if you keep that up. Hope you can find a solution soon cause I know how aggravating lack of sleep can be.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3390241 - 11/20/04 06:05 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"do not go to sleep, go back to sleep.. "
-unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Folding@home Statistics
    #3393028 - 11/21/04 12:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

little too late eh?

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3393588 - 11/21/04 04:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

and/or to early? :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#3397223 - 11/23/04 06:30 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That ain't that bad. I've averaged maybe 3 hrs sleep the last two weeks. Tried valerian, 5x500mg plus these pharmeceutical sleep gels which is apparantely the strongest non-prescription stuff and I still can't fall asleep. I think it may have something to do with the steroid eye drops I have to take.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules