Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Papaver Somniferum, Peat

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineprophesee
Stranger
Poppies, im still a bit muddled.
    #3392067 - 11/21/04 04:56 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ok here is the question. Let's say I bought Poppy Seeds. Do I have to plant them or can I extract the opium straight from them? Any other extraneous information would be awesome also...thanks ahead of time.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDeQuincy
Paddo hunter

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Poppies, im still a bit muddled. [Re: prophesee]
    #3392342 - 11/21/04 08:25 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Seeds themselves DO NOT contain any alkaloids. They might on the otherhand be slightly coated with latex from the pods they grew in.
Unfortunatly most seeds are washed before they are sold. So you best bed would be planting them and harvesting the pods.
But still, tea might work...

There is one snag however. About one fifth of the world production of poppy seeds (and poppy straw) is of the thebaine variation. So you have a 1 to 4 chance of getting pods that are only good for floral arranging.
That's still a 80% chance you got the 'good' ones.

These thebaine poppies have been selected to stop their alkaloid production at the, ta da: thebaine stage. Especially developed for the pharmaceutical industry, for the synthesis of the codon pain killers.

--------------------
there's no vestige of a beginning no prospect of an end
(hutton)
if you came to conquer, you'll be king for a day, but you too will deteriorate and quickly fade away...
you have NO CONTROL
(bad religion)

OfflineDeQuincy
Paddo hunter

Re: Poppies, im still a bit muddled. [Re: DeQuincy]
    #3392350 - 11/21/04 08:31 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Here is a pic of a poppy seed coated with some brownish substance. What might that be? :wink:

--------------------
(hutton)
if you came to conquer, you'll be king for a day, but you too will deteriorate and quickly fade away...
you have NO CONTROL
(bad religion)

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3392698 - 11/21/04 12:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

That is why some suggest not to buy the poppy seeds from the store. I would buy from an ethno vendor, just so then you know your not going to get an altered strain, and you'll be able to pick and choose from the many different types of Papaver Somniferum (the type your looking for).

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

InvisibleStonehenge
Gone
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Poppies, im still a bit muddled. [Re: theocean06]
    #3392710 - 11/21/04 12:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'm growing some poppies right now. They are the hen's and chicks variety which give large heads full of opium and are easy to grow. I also have several other varieties I could plant. If anyone wants a few hundred poppy seeds that are the opium variety, let me know.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Poppies, im still a bit muddled. [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3402726 - 11/24/04 10:10 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I saved the seeds from my poppies for two years and had quite alot. I boiled them all and drank the weak liquor from it. Only the slightest sense of opium present. I would have gotten a much greater buzz off one pod I believe. My usual dose is about five giganteums, or ten large. Seeds don't do squat. Stonehenge, please send me some hen and chicks seeds when they come around.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineDeQuincy
Paddo hunter

Re: Poppies, im still a bit muddled. [Re: eve69]
    #3402888 - 11/24/04 11:18 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yes lovely people, it is really simple:

Pods are for arranging (or tea, or whatever).
Seeds are for planting.

Eve: do you have any seeds left? As you know for sure these seeds will grow NICE and ACTIVE plants, no bummer strain (thebaine). You could spread them, make this world a prettier place! If you live in a temperate zone, this is the time to spread them around.
And maybe get some free pods in the process.

--------------------
(hutton)
you have NO CONTROL
(bad religion)

InvisibleStonehenge
Gone
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #3403039 - 11/24/04 12:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I've got some plants going from seeds I have. I'll post pics later on, right now they are tiny seedlings. I plan to put them in the yard in a few days. Right now I'm acclimating them to the sun. I put them in the window for a few hours. Tomorrow if it doesn't rain I'll put them outside for a few hours and then perhaps the next day I'll plant them in the ground around noon. I started my plants in peat pots with potting soil. Those you just put right in the ground so no transplant shock. Poppies do not like to be transplanted but with these peat pots it's ok. I still have poppy seed if anyone wants to trade for it.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Papaver Somniferum, Peat

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden