Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDK1
Male
First Time Grower - Questions & Concerns
    #3391839 - 11/21/04 03:31 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hi everybody this is my first post and first attempt at growing. I have a clear rubbermaid container 16x10x11 (LxWxH) and I am using perlite to keep the humidity high. I am using coarse perlite and I read that I'm supposed to have 1/2" of water and 1.5" perlite and the perlite is supposed to float on top of the water, right? Well the only way i can get the perlite to float is if i add almost as much water as there is perlite, which leaves me with maybe a 1/4" or so of perlite exposed to the air and about 1.5" of water total? Do you think this setup is alright or no? I haven't bought anything to check the humidity yet, but I was thinking of buying one of them little humidity gauges that you can put in reptile tanks that just stick on the back. I already have a removable fish tank thermometer sticking to the front, temp stays at 78 degrees fahrenheit. Also when your setting up your fruiting container should I rinse my perlite with tap water through a strainer or should i just use it right out of the bag. I rinsed the perlite through a strainer using tap water already but i'm worried about contamination from tap water possibly, what do you think? Its been about 3 days so far and still no sign of pinning, just 2 white cakes sitting a top perlite. I also fan out my container twice a day to get the co2 out and spray a mist over the cakes and on top of the lid, is this ok or too much water? I was told that spring water is the only water i should use, is it ok to use other kinds of water such as distilled? I was also told the shrooms that I have are called star gazers. I am also using 2 15 watt bulbs in a ceiling light fixture, (the kind that go on top of a fish tank), one blue and one clear totaling 30 watts of light on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. Is that enough light or should i use a regular 60 watt light bulb or what? Whats the purpose of having a light? If anyone has any answers your help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: First Time Grower - Questions & Concerns [Re: DK1]
    #3391890 - 11/21/04 03:49 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

the perlite will float i pissed me off when i did it too, but it works fine. You dont need a humidity gauge IMO water forming or beading down the sides is adequate humidity :thumbup: use the money for other things :smile: Be patient it's only been 3 days it can take 8 - 10 days before you'll see pins, I would put something between the cakes and the perlite or it may lead to contams :thumbdown:  I would fan more than twice a day, 4-5 times is good, if you've got perlite theres no need to spray that much, i just use normal tapwater for spraying dont bother with more expensive stuff. The purpose of the light is just to tell your muchrooms which way to grow, and to initiate pinning what you have sounds good :grin:

--------------------

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast

Re: First Time Grower - Questions & Concerns [Re: DK1]
    #3392005 - 11/21/04 04:38 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Check out the pmp: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rt=all&vc=1

Put in some airstones with a big enough air pump to exchange the air in your tub 2-3 times per hour and you won't have to worry about fanning. Put a small flouro on a timer and you'll have a kick ass cheap automated setup. These things kick ass. BTW your perlite doesn't need to float. Let some of that water evaporate and then just keep it at 1/2" or so. Also, it can take up to 2 weeks for pin formation to begin. Welcome to the shroomery! :goodluck: :sun:

Offlinejuende
feministpresence

Re: First Time Grower - Questions & Concerns [Re: atomic1]
    #3392124 - 11/21/04 05:25 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

-don't worry about rinsing the perlite or getting it to float. just make sure that it is comletly saturated.
-tap water should be fine. but bottled wouldn't hurt
-something should be between the cakes and the perlite. the jar lids [they may rust], al' foil or some old lids.
you should aslo 'roll' the cakes in vermiculite [sp?] its not to late to do so. just wet som verm' and roll the cakes in them and then also put some more on the bottom [in your lid] and on top. don't worry the oins can poke through it.
-humiduty will be just fine [fan like aussie said]
- yeah and pins can take a while
-your temp is perfect
-as for lighting, everyone has their own prefrences. by a window or a lamp will do it. i don't think watts matter [nut i could be wrong]
-they light is needed to let the pins know which way to grow. you will most likely see the most growth overnight.

i hope this answered some of your questions.....

and welcome to the shroomery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast

Re: First Time Grower - Questions & Concerns [Re: juende]
    #3392144 - 11/21/04 05:32 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I do recommend rinsing your perlite before using it. I got a bag that was so full of dust and shit tht the perlite was grey. I dumped it in the tub w/water already in it and made a pile of fuckin perlite mud.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: First Time Grower - Questions & Concerns [Re: atomic1]
    #3392676 - 11/21/04 12:11 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Lol, They all sounds about right
but no one said anything about h202(hydrogen peroxide)
If you decide to dunk you cakes, you'll want to put in a little bit of h202 with the water( 1:100 ratio).
If you don't know hat dunking is, it's what you do when your cake has given you your first or second flush. Um, if it starts looking a little dry and you dont think it'll give you much pins/mushroom ect, then you can put it in a jar or something and fill the jar with water and let it soak 12/24 hours. But make Sure that you take all the pins and paraphernalia off the cake first. And um , yeah good setup. You'll probably see growth overnight, Gl And WELCOME 2 THE SHROOMERY!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation