Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinepunkgod94
Stranger
shrooms and heart rate
    #3390039 - 11/20/04 06:55 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Ok well simply put I have a heart condition and I would like to read as much as possible about the effects of shrooms on heart rate. I've read plenty of trip reports where nobody mentions anything about heart rate because it didnt appear to change much, and then Ive read about people whos hearts beat so fast they think theyre going to explode. Does anybody actually know how high their beats per minute went? Or if you're a trip sitter how high your trippers heart rate went? I'll probably still try them eventually, but Id just like to know so that Im not completely taken offguard like I was the first time I smoked pot! I think when I was a relatively new smoker I'd gotten up to 130 beats per minute when my normal resting bpm is 60-70. Don't want any unnecessary hospital trips because my clouded judgment thinks my heart rate is much higher than it actually is! Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineskullfarmer1979
shamanator
Loc: Bum Fuck, Egypt
Re: shrooms and heart rate [Re: punkgod94]
    #3390056 - 11/20/04 06:59 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i know shrooms make your BP go up but thats about all the health info i can give you.be careful

--------------------
I TASTE THE WREAKAGE OF CRUMBLING FACES,I KNOW THE PALE THING IN THE DARKEST OF PLACES. -DAX RIGGS-

get the most out of life,listen to ACID BATH!!!!

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: shrooms and heart rate [Re: skullfarmer1979]
    #3390067 - 11/20/04 07:02 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

if you are worried about heart rate you could try to inncorporate some motrin/aspirin into your trip before hand or some weed. both of them are vaso dialators which will lower your heart rate.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinepunkgod94
Stranger
Re: shrooms and heart rate [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3390097 - 11/20/04 07:08 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

lemon, not that I dont believe you, but how is pot supossed to lower your heart rate? Every time I've smoked it noticeably goes up. Thanks for the aspirin info though.

OfflineDeviate
    #3390179 - 11/20/04 07:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

on shrooms i didn't notice any increase in my heart and i am sensitive to such things. also i recommend you DO NOT take lemon's advise. marijuana is the drug which has made my heart beat the fastest, even faster than cocaine. marijuana can also give you anxiety which will make your heart beat even faster and if you have a mushrooms + plus marijuana mindfuck you may have trouble judging exactly what's going on in your body. i think if you can smoke marijuana safely you shouldn't have any problem with mushrooms. start with a low dose and see how your body reacts, if everything goes ok (as i suspect it will) you can dose higher the next time.

InvisibleHendostan
Male

Re: shrooms and heart rate [Re: Deviate]
    #3390212 - 11/20/04 07:53 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

What kind of heart condition do you have? Please be extremely careful before you commit to tripping, cause it definitely raises your heart rate and bp. I had a good friend die at 16 from a heart condition, so maybe I'm overly cautious. He couldn't even smoke anything though, or have caffeine, hopefully yours isn't so serious. Like they said above, if you're ok health-wise when smoking weed, you will *probably* be ok with mushrooms. However, your mind can affect what happens to you more than the shrooms. If you're thinking about it and worrying about it before the trip, that will be amplified to a large degree during the trip, causing anxiety, racing heart, etc..Please be careful, peace

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: shrooms and heart rate [Re: Hendostan]
    #3390277 - 11/20/04 08:17 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

you guys are right i might have jumped the gun on the MJ concept. i was initially thinking about the direct physical effects and i disregarded the fact of anxiety and such. sorry for doing that i usually dont fuck up medical stuff, but this was a little different then normal subjects.

Invisiblenewusername222
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #3390287 - 11/20/04 08:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

one problem with aspirin that I find serious is heartburn, and if you have a heart condition and get heartburn it can feel like you are having heart problems and that can freak you out. I suggest keeping a valium handy or taking an extra one of your BP meds (if you're on them).

OfflineDeviate
    #3390461 - 11/20/04 09:11 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

lemon_lw said:
you guys are right i might have jumped the gun on the MJ concept. i was initially thinking about the direct physical effects and i disregarded the fact of anxiety and such. sorry for doing that i usually dont fuck up medical stuff, but this was a little different then normal subjects.

increased heart rate is a direct physical affect of marijuana.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3390470 - 11/20/04 09:14 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

physically it dialates the blood vessels which decreases your heart rate.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

InvisibleHendostan
Male

#3390574 - 11/20/04 09:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I thought smoking anything constricts blood vessels?

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3390576 - 11/20/04 09:46 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

not weed. thats why your eyes get bloodshot. the veins are bigger.

--------------------

OfflineDeviate
    #3390611 - 11/20/04 09:56 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

no it physically increases heart rate. here's one source. heart rate. http://science.howstuffworks.com/marijuana.htm

every website you go to will tell you increased heart rate is a physical affect of marijuana. i also know this from my own experience as well as everyone else i know that smokes. i thought it was a well accepted fact. do a search or some research of the medical literature regarding it and you will see that it increases heart rate. i'm sure you could find the mechanism of action too. or take your pulse, smoke a bowl and take it again.

Edited by Deviate (11/20/04 09:58 PM)

Offlinepunkgod94
Stranger
    #3390622 - 11/20/04 09:59 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Personally smoking pot makes my heart go significantly faster so I wouldnt smoke that to come up or during the peak anyway unless I felt TOTALLY comfortable, and definately not during my first shrooming experience.

Quote:

Hendostan said:
What kind of heart condition do you have? I had a good friend die at 16 from a heart condition, so maybe I'm overly cautious. He couldn't even smoke anything though, or have caffeine, hopefully yours isn't so serious.

It's a somewhat rare condition known as Long QT syndrome. It has something to do with heart arrythmias. And technically Im not supossed to have anything with caffeine, Im supossed to stay away from drugs, and they even warn to some degree about alcohol, but I dont listen to any of that stuff. I was prescribed medicine for the condition but I havent taken it in about a year because I do not like taking a pill once or twice a day for the rest of my life. Its too much of a hassle. I had a relative who died from this condition as well so thats why I try to read up on this kinda stuff before just going out and doing it.

I refuse to ever go near coke or meth because of this very reason. Not that they ever really appealed to me anyway...but E is somethign which interests me but I try to resist.

Quote:

supernova said:
one problem with aspirin that I find serious is heartburn, and if you have a heart condition and get heartburn it can feel like you are having heart problems and that can freak you out. I suggest keeping a valium handy or taking an extra one of your BP meds (if you're on them).

Thanks for that helpful advice as well! Unfortunately I dont have any valiums or access to other pills. About the only thing I could possibly get my hands on are oxycontin, but Im not too sure I wanna venture into the opiate realm. I know my personality and I would more than likely end up addicted. Anyone ever heard of oxys and shrooms being mixed?

Edited by punkgod94 (11/20/04 10:04 PM)

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3390679 - 11/20/04 10:14 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

alright you guys are taking me wrong. i am not disagreeing that it increases the heart rate. my definition of physically is different from your guys. i was speaking on the terms of something that is a noticable physical change inside your body. a physical change inside the body is the dialated blood vessels. yes the heart rate is a physical thing, but i was speaking of the physical cause. can anybody tell me the physical cause. i will do a little research real quick and see if there is a physical cause for the increase in the heart rate. or see if it is anxiety that causes the heart rate to increase.

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#3390686 - 11/20/04 10:16 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i guess i need to speak more clearly when i am typing. it is easy to get misiterperated. and ill admit i was wrong at first, going off of the only medical info i knew on the subject. i should know better than that.

--------------------

OfflineDeviate
    #3390689 - 11/20/04 10:17 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i don't know if i'd recommend mixing opiates with the shrooms. not because you'd get addicted but because that could put even more strain on your heart. opiates are weird drugs and even though they are depressents they can actually increase heart rate at times and i'm sure they affect blood pressure in some way as well.

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
    #3390705 - 11/20/04 10:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I think the problem is you're thinking of marijuana as a depressant. It's not.

Quote:

Effects on the Heart

One study has indicated that a user?s risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana(8). The researchers suggest that such an effect might occur from marijuana?s effects on blood pressure and heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofax/marijuana.html

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineDeviate
Re: shrooms and heart rate [Re: cb9fl]
    #3390809 - 11/20/04 10:57 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

lemon, i understood you were reffering to the difference between increasing heart rate by making the person anxious and physically increases heart rate. however mariuana always increases my heart rate, even if i smoke it and am completely calm. the increase is immediate and noticeable and precedes any anxiety i feel, which usually comes later on. i'll admit i don't know the mechanism by which it increases heart rate but since the affect is universal and beyond control of the user i would certainly consider it to be physical.

Offlinepunkgod94
Stranger
    #3390905 - 11/20/04 11:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well now since we're on the topic of pot I thought Id throw my two cents in again lol. That quote that cb9fl posted made me think of something.

"and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of blood"

Has anyone ever gotten stoned and then just sat there zoning out or whatever and then suddenly realize that you're not breathing or that you're breathing VERY very slowly? Like I will get absorbed into a CD Im listening to and then just like have to take a few HUGE breaths because its like my body doesnt have enough oxygen? Kinda freaks me out...its almost like hyperventilating.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience