Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Odd question: Seperating vermiculite and brown rice flour.
    #3388277 - 11/20/04 08:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hi, my friend's uncle jumped the gun like 6 months ago and bought some supplies before he needed them.. got a bag of "pre-mixed" PF substrate, with vermiculite and brown rice flour mixed together.

He ended up not even doing BRF cakes, after deciding that 4+ months of straight reading on the subject was enough to start himself out on grain.

Now the question is: If he puts this mixture (it's a dry mixture) in a sifter or something, will he be able to get out all of the BRF? What if he sifts it first dry, then rinses it thoroughly in a strainer?

He doesn't want to end up with a casing layer that is nutrient-rich due to the presence of the flour.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
Re: Odd question: Seperating vermiculite and brown rice flour. [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3388302 - 11/20/04 08:19 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hmmm thats a new one on me, i mix mine brf and verm dry then add the water and you can see the rice flour seperatly from the verm pretty easy so i would think you could sift enough out for it to work, i know casing layers arent supposed to have any nutes but i wouldnt think that a few grains left behind from the brf would cause that much of a prob, but id wait for someone else to reply before taking action as i have never done this and am not sure on opinion about the nutes, maybe a tiny amount of nutes can cuase problems

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: Odd question: Seperating vermiculite and brown rice flour. [Re: KyKid]
    #3388327 - 11/20/04 08:36 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the response.. I will wait a bit for some others as you said.

What is it with everyone putting beautiful asses in their avatars lately? :P

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
Re: Odd question: Seperating vermiculite and brown rice flour. [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3388346 - 11/20/04 08:47 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Asses are the in thing now... naw it was just a fun night and she felt she owed the shroomery some credit for making it possible.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: Odd question: Seperating vermiculite and brown rice flour. [Re: KyKid]
    #3388348 - 11/20/04 08:48 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ahahah.. well, she's a looker. :blush:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3388453 - 11/20/04 09:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The thing is you would probably get a thin powdery coating sticking to the verm. It wouldnt be much all over it but it would probably be all over it. Perhaps a rinse would work but may make it stick more...I think a way to find out would be do a small bit and put the verm in a cup after you rinse it..leave it moist and out on the counter. Might tell you exactly how quickly it will contam..other then just trying it that seems to me the only way to test that I can think of. I think you'd end up with a nute rich casing but maybe youll get lucky..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: Odd question: Seperating vermiculite and brown rice flour. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3388459 - 11/20/04 09:39 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'd rather be safe than sorry.. I will probably dump it and get some fresh verm.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder