Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: israel
Pleurotus are predatory mushrooms?!
    #3387858 - 11/20/04 06:01 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

interesting article -

"Well, are you know, that Pleurotus are predatory mushrooms?! You did not know, are such ones exist? But they exist! It turned out that not only the worms eat mushrooms, but the mushrooms eat worms too!

There are so-called roundworms or nematode (Nematoda). Perhaps Ascaris lumbricoides is most known nematode. But not all nematodes are such awful parasites — there are many free living (in a soil, water, decaying remains) tiny roundworms. Pleurotus arranges a hunt this nematodes. For this purpose Pleurotus's hyphae produce poison, which paralyses nematodes. Then the paralysed victim is found with special hyphae, which exhaust nutritious substances from it. However, Pleurotus hunt in similar way not only nematodes, but also colony of bacteria"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Loc: Golden, Colorado
Re: Pleurotus are predatory mushrooms?! [Re: shachar]
    #3465611 - 12/08/04 06:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I find this a very interesting topic. I heard somewhere that much of the nitrogen content in oyster mushrooms in the wild might actually come from nematodes the mycelium consumes. I currently have a worm bin (Eisenia fetida) that I use to compost in my kitchen. I've read that Eisenia fetida can survive on an entirely fungal diet and have contemplated introducing some worms to a spent mushroom block. However, I am concerned that the neurotoxin Pleurotus uses to attack nematodes might actually have a negative affect on my composting worms too. So many experiments so little time. . .

Pleurotus pulmonarius (Pheonix Oyster)
Letinula edodes (Shitake)
Ganoderma lucidum (Reishi)

Want for trade:
Other edibles . . .

User Gallery

Re: Pleurotus are predatory mushrooms?! [Re: jmeuser]
    #3466856 - 12/08/04 09:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Nematodes and 'worms' are not very closely related, not even in the same phyla. I've heard that theory too, that they use this predatory method to obtain nitrogen. Makes sense; Any toxins produced by pleurotus aren't going to be a risk to your Eisenias. I used to have a worm bin too. . .they loved all my spent substrate except for grain, which [I later found out] you're not supposed to give them much of anyway.
I also heard something else about nematodes. . .if you took everything out of the landscape; dirt, plants, rocks, all organic/inorganic material EXCEPT for nematodes, you'd still be able to see the basic landscape. Nematodes are very tiny and ubiquitous.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms